1. rktho

rktho Contributor Contributor

Juggling subplots

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by rktho, Feb 23, 2020.

So I'm writing a Star Wars fic and I'm in the redrafting stage, and I'm having trouble juggling plot threads.

Basic rundown: there's a battle going on between the rebels, who have barricaded themselves inside an energy shield, and the Empire, who controls the planet. Apollon is one of the rebels. Leela is a girl he went on a date with before her dad, Com, said they couldn't see each other anymore. Portia is their mutual friend; she's been Apollon's best friend for years, and she and Leela knew each other as children and have reconnected on friendlier terms than they were back then.

Portia was living with Com and Leela until Portia's family tried to rob their mansion. Worried this might attract Imperial attention, Com decides they have to leave the planet immediately and starts packing. Portia decides to stay behind, bidding them farewell and going to the place where the rebels are preparing for battle. Leela, who's decided long ago that she can't sit by and not join the fight, sneaks out and follows her. Com soon discovers this and goes to the battle zone to look for her. Meanwhile, Koss, inspector general and holder of a Javert-style vendetta against Com, notices the shield go up and volunteers himself as a spy, temporarily putting his search for Com on hold. (Koss thinks Com is a child abductor and has followed a tip-off to apprehend him, which is why he's currently planetside.) Koodo is an old friend of Com's who is fighting with the rebels.

So here's what I have so far. Leela meets up with Apollon and Portia. Apollon is glad to see her but thinks she should stay out of it, but he can't talk her out of it. Stormtroopers approach from the east side and the three of them help drive them back. They take a brief respite in an alley, but then Apollon is summoned by the commander for a strategy meeting and Leela is contacted by Koodo, who informs her that Com is looking for her. Leela leaves Portia to try and give her father the slip, but overhears someone in an alley sending a message and realizes they're an Imperial spy. When she confronts the spy, the spy deduces her to be the kidnapping victim he is searching for, which in turn causes Leela to realize the spy is Koss. Koss disarms Leela and demands she tell him where Com is, but Leela manages to escape his grasp and runs through the streets shouting that there is a spy, so that Koss will soon find it impossible to maintain his cover. Leela bursts into the building where Apollon and the rebel officers are meeting and informs them that a spy is afoot and that they have to apprehend him before the spy finds her father and captures or kills him. Leela contacts Com and warns him of the danger. He warns that Leela is in just as much danger, as Koss could use her as a hostage to get to Com. Leela hangs up on him and they go in search of Koss.

Here's the point where I need to get to. Apollon and Portia fight in another battle in which the stormtroopers set up an E-Web cannon. The cannon cannot be destroyed from the distance the rebels are positioned because of its shield, so Portia rushes forward to get within range. Apollon rushes after her, but she shoots the power pack, causing it to explode. Portia dies from her injuries and is taken to the mortuary, where Apollon meets Leela to mourn with her. That is where Com finds Leela and drags her off, and Apollon lets him do it, because especially in light of Portia's death, they are both very afraid Leela will meet the same fate. I need to figure out how to fill the gap between these points, because currently, there are a couple of snags, a couple pieces on the board that don't appear to be quite on track from point A to B.

2. rktho

rktho Contributor Contributor

I figured it out. I just switched POVs and everything smoothed out.

jannert likes this.
  3. Gladiolus83

Gladiolus83 Contributor Contributor

Good for you. The same thing happened to me just today, too. Although, I can’t take all the credit. My co-worker had a comment that made me shift the point I viewed the problem from and then I came up with the answer.

rktho likes this.