1. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Which WF member(s) would you grab a beer with?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by thirdwind, May 31, 2014.

I know I'm not the only one who has met some great people on here. So given the chance, which WF members would you like to grab a beer with? (If you don't drink beer, substitute it with your favorite beverage.)

@Lemex, @Mackers, and @minstrel all have similar literary tastes/views on literature as me, so they're obvious choices. I imagine we'd have some great conversations. @Andrae Smith seems like a chill guy to hang out with based on his posts. And @Wreybies seems like he has a bunch of funny stories he wouldn't mind sharing, so it would be fun having him around.

Don't feel bad if I left you out; those five are just the first names that came to mind. ;)

Andrae Smith likes this.
  2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I would rent out a hall and invite everyone! [​IMG]

For several reasons. ;)

First, to hear all the:

"So you're So&So!"
    "I totally thought you were a dude!"
    "I totally thought you were a chick!"
    "I never pictured you with a beard."
    "Wow, you're (fill in the ethnicity causing the beholder surprise)!"

Also, I would be interested to see how a couple of brews might change interaction between people. Are the big talkers still big talkers when in the flesh? Are the wallflowers dancing on the table, 4 beers in?

Are there are any walks-of-shame the next morning. :whistle:

3. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

jazzabel likes this.
  4. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Invite everyone!? Damn. I wonder if I could guess who's who just based on what they say and how they act. If someone stands on the table and starts reciting poetry, I'll know it's Lemex. And if someone starts citing studies about how it's dangerous to stand on a table drunk, I'll know it's Ginger. :p

erebh, Thornesque, HelloThere and 3 others like this.
  5. Link the Writer

Somehow I don't put it past Lemex to stand on the table to recite poetry. :rofl:

Lemex likes this.
  6. Hubardo

Hubardo Contributor Contributor

OMG THANK YOU! low self esteem "nobody would ever have a beer with me" kind of day (for no reason).

I like a lot of those people too!

Link the Writer likes this.
  7. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

You guys have been watching Dead Poets Society.

Poziga, Lemex and Link the Writer like this.
  8. Link the Writer

...No we haven't! >___>

I'd have beer with you, lewislewis. :D

I like them, too. They're awesome in my book.

9. obsidian_cicatrix

obsidian_cicatrix I ink, therefore I am. Contributor

I'm a little ahead of myself as I've already had a drink with a WF buddy. The most surprising thing was that there weren't any surprises. We were both very much what the other anticipated and neither of us were on our best behaviour. Certainly no muting of character, due to worry over what the other might think.

I do have another member in my line of sight. It would be a shame not to take advantage of our close physical proximity.

It's quite the surreal experience seeing the facial animation of someone whose words ring so familiar. As of yet, the subject has been skirted but I'm quietly confident that we will bite the bullet at some point. My only worry would be that he'd have one too many and end up trying to use my left nostril as a swimming cap....

...as if meeting in the flesh isn't surreal enough. :D

KaTrian likes this.
  10. Andrae Smith

Andrae Smith Bestselling Author|Editor|Writing Coach Contributor

Well I'm not the drinking type but I'd love to go out for a drink with @thirdwind, @Thomas Kitchen, @Wreybies, @minstrel, @T.Trian & @KaTrian, @Lemex @jannert, @jazzabel and @GingerCoffee. Don't feel bad if your name isn't on the list, as these are just the people who come to mind right away. Everyone has something different to offer, but I'm sure I'd have a good time with each ha ha. I'm glad to find myself on a list, at all ha ha. :cool:

I like Wrey's idea though. I would sooo love seeing everyone. Oh and actually putting voices to y'all instead of the imaginary ones that play in my mind when reading your posts. :whistle:

11. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Well, I've HAD a beer with @obsidian_cicatrix , and can vouch for the experience! Great pub too, by the way...

jazzabel and obsidian_cicatrix like this.
  12. obsidian_cicatrix

obsidian_cicatrix I ink, therefore I am. Contributor

:friend:

13. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

I'd totally have beer with all of you guys :) :friend: But I also wonder... Will the bar turn into General Writing, Book Discussion, Lounge or... *gasp* Debate Room?

I've also noticed that in the end, the people you first meet over the internet aren't all that different irl. They might turn out to be bigger and shorter than you imagined, but there haven't been that many surprises so far. It's a shame I haven't met anyone from here. @T.Trian and I live so far from everybody, except maybe @Komposten, him being Swedish.

Do my posts have an accent? :D

Andrae Smith and minstrel like this.
  14. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

As soon as I saw this thread a few names came instantly to mind: @thirdwind, @Mackers, @Link the Writer, @Wreybies, @minstrel, @Andrae Smith, @Dante Dases (actually, you are only in the next county, why hasn't that happened yet?), @obsidian_cicatrix, @EdFromNY and @GingerCoffee. You are all good people and I value all of your contributions to this forum. Everyone else: don't think I did not think of you and don't think I don't think you are awesome.

I always have the same thought whenever I add someone from this forum on Facebook - do I, in reality, look like the Lemex that member had in their head?

I'm curious, what kind of voice do you imagine I have?

What's the betting that everyone will be doing a walk of shame from my room, at the same time. :p

Last edited: May 31, 2014
    EdFromNY likes this.
  15. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Contributor

By the sounds of this, we ought to plan a Writers' Conference or something... :p

I can't really picture myself going to a pub and grabbing a beer, for several reasons. However, if there is apple juice to be had, I'm pretty sure that pub sounds a bit more inviting... And who'd I bring? Well, everyone, of course! We've already established time and time again that you're all awesome.

The first ones to spring to mind, though are:
    @KaTrian and @T.Trian
    @GingerCoffee
    @Wreybies
    @Marcus Burzum
    @thirdwind
    @Lewdog
    And last, but not least, @Daniel

Last edited: May 31, 2014
    T.Trian and KaTrian like this.
  16. HelloThere

HelloThere Senior Member

@minstrel, if only so that I could ask for a go on his twelve string :D. There's a few guitarists on here, perhaps I could get a VIP backstage to pass at one of @T.Trian's funk metal performances.

minstrel, T.Trian and KaTrian like this.
  17. Mans

Mans Contributor Contributor

It is better I feel free and say, I have never drunk any alcoholic beverage up to know but I love to drink coffee and tea, cool juice, carbonated buttermilk and carbonated non-alcohol beverages like Pepsi, coca cola and so on.
    I invite some members for drinking coffee, cool juice or Pepsi. The members that I know they have not drunk alcoholic beverages, or they will leave drinking them hereafter :D Among mammaia, peachalulu and GingerCoffee that I had the most conversation with them.

18. Alesia

Alesia Pen names: AJ Connor, Carey Connolly Contributor

I'm not so sure it'd be a good idea for me to have a few beers in me if someone wanted to start a debate! :D

19. Link the Writer

I concur. If anyone starts a debate while I'm around, I usually politely excuse myself. I don't like debates all that much, especially when I'm drinking.

But other than that, I'm good.

20. Poziga

Poziga Contributor Contributor

But it often happens that during drinking, a debate about something begins, and these debates are usually the most passionate, sincere and deep.:)

21. HelloThere

HelloThere Senior Member

Haha, I've got a catholic friend who I often feel like I am having incredibly deep and interesting arguments with, but I imagine we just look stupid to any onlookers. I'm reminded of this quote from "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy:

"The hundreds of nights they sat up arguing... With the earnestness of philosophers chained to a madhouse wall."

Catrin Lewis likes this.
  22. T.Trian

T.Trian Overly Pompous Bastard Supporter Contributor

It would be so sweet to play a gig with my band to all the WF members and then go hang out with you guys. :D Or, since there are so many musicians here, how about a kickass WF band? :twisted:

I know I sound corny as hell and all, but since home is where the heart is, and you can probably guess where my heart is, I'd be perfectly happy with @KaTrian, sipping ice-cold Pepsi Max, no matter where we are. All the other WF members we'd meet travelling the world together, visiting them in their home countries, would be just really awesome bonuses. :cool: Though we'd probably start with Puerto Rico and California...

minstrel likes this.
  23. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

There are several members I would particularly want to meet, but I won't list them here because I wouldn't want to hurt anyone's feelings by leaving them off the list (or anger them by including them? :unsure:). Besides, I suspect they already know who they are. Count me in on @Wreybies' rent-the-hall idea. And while we're at it, let's make sure there's a stage so that those of us who are musicians can jam, maybe sit in with @T.Trian's band.

minstrel and T.Trian like this.
  24. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

What's the best beer to drink...let the debate begin!

25. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

It's obviously Peroni. It's my beer of choice.