1. Alex W

Alex W New Member

Just a small detail......

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Alex W, Jul 16, 2011.

Right, my main character dies in the first chapter, in the second he is talking to the God Lugh (a Pagan God), and he awakes in the third chapter. Now, he is aware that he's going back, but he's not sure why. (He has an idea, but i'm barely going to talk about my plot here as I don't want to......thieves be a lurking).

Anyhow! He's basically brought back from the afterlife as a fighter in a huge sport (an advanced gladiator system) and i'm unsure how to have him wake up. I don't want him to be in a cell, as clearly someone would be monitering his waking. Don't want your expensive purchase to go mad upon returning and smash his head upon the wall in a state of shock do we!

So he's going to be held somehow, but I don't want to be cliche. We're quite far into the future, so chains is a bit of a no go. I am flirting with the idea of 'fire chains', an advanced element of deep orange and blue fire, like a liquid, but aflame with a solid outer shell. It would snap and blaze brighter with pressure from those chained, with also the sound of a blazing furnace sounding at the same time. (Think of the sound that the Balrog makes, that type of thing. I will of course find a better description for it than that when edited together lol).

I dislike the idea of forcefields, as it's a bit too sci-fi and it's hard to do without cliche, which I hate. I like outside the box thinking. So incase I dislike my chains idea, any thoughts on a possible alternative? He needs to be held some way, not painfully, but just held like a science experiment might hold someone who could wake up and hurt themselves.

So! Any ideas ladies and gentleman? Out of the box thinking wanted! I like my idea but it's the one thing i'm struggling over, so could use some more opinions and thoughts.

2. cruciFICTION

cruciFICTION Contributor Contributor

Out of the box thinking? Sorry. I was just going to say a padded room.

3. Alex W

Alex W New Member

400 years in the future and we're still in the 'padded room' phase?

Tut tut. -5 imagination points for you.

FOR SHAME.

Next!

4. Marcelo

Marcelo Member

Lol, he was just trying to help... but anyway, I think I can safely say no one has been to the 2400s, especially not to your 2400s, so my advice would be to keep writing your story or shaping your general storyline until you find something suitable for you. As Cogito has pointed out uncountable times, don't worry so much for cliches; mind you, sci-fi is a pretty visited genre, so I would say it's not so much about what hasn't been done before, but what approach you take to these plot elements and, obviously, the quality you breathe to them as a writer.

Best of luck, though! :p

5. Alex W

Alex W New Member

I know, I know, I was only joking.

It's actually not a sci-fi book, it's merely in the future. There are no aliens, cyborgs or what have you. Just a futuristic twist. And I realise that you shouldn't worry about them, but I despise things that have been done many times before. I wouldn't want to go for a 'test tube' or whatever, as its been done, no-one wants to read that again. They want fresh things of wonder and delight! :D

But thank you, hopefully my fire chain idea sticks, it's growing on me, but i'm not totally struck on it as of yet.

6. PenandPencil

PenandPencil New Member

Hi, Alex W,

Hmm. It does seem rather interesting. Lugh... I've heard that before. Isn't he a Celtic God? Forgive me if I'm wrong, or for my ignorance ...

Anyway, about the chain part. The fire-chains do seem cool (and rather painful, no less) but, to me, it does seem rather tribal. I was thinking, maybe have shackles on the character's wrists and ankles, so his limbs are spread tightly outwards, like that "Vitruvian Man". ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitruvian_Man )
    But, as it is futuristic, there are no chains attached to the shackles, so the shackles are like wristbands, but have the ability to make the character immovable. Maybe have one around his neck too? So he'd be totally paralysed, momentarily? Anyway, perhaps the shackles could be silver, with blue 'veins', y'know, the typical futuristic look. And maybe they could have the ability to have the main character to float as he is bound by these shackles?

I hope that helps you. Good luck! :D

7. Alex W

Alex W New Member

Yes he is! Though I just said Pagan to generalise, I didn't think many people would know who he was! And that's a cracking idea! I really like it. I'll write both in and ask my test reader which he thinks is best.

I had the limbs spread out idea once before, but could only pair it with either being nailed down (not what I want), or chained up tightly. Both of which seem to suggest it being painful, not what I want. But your idea would cover that, paralysis works perfectly.

Thank you very much! I'll let you know if I go with your idea in a PM :)

8. JPGriffin

JPGriffin New Member

On the Topic of Thieves

Most, if not all, of what is posted here is supposed to be copyrighted by the writer him/herself, and depending on your location, this can be either by just being the first to write it, or others may involve paperwork (just generalizations), so if anyone WERE to try and steal an idea, then he or she would have to 1. Find the original poster's location, 2. Check any copyright laws, and 3. Find a way to copyright the material him/herself. Otherwise, they're braking laws :eek: , which can lead to serious consequences.

For example, Connecticut (in the U.S) State Laws say that if it's written, and it doesn't violate any other copyright claims, then it's yours. Therefore, anything I post, including song lyrics, short stories, essays, et cetera, cannot be copied or used without my consent (This means you, [insert name here]). ;)

Of course, what you post is your choice, but feel free to post a plot if you need to. :D

As for the non-sci-fi but futuristic restraining, a padded room, while not creative, is still a good idea, but for a more futuristic feel, then your idea for the shackles sound pretty cool, and Penand Pencil's idea sounds like it would work well. Maybe a sort of shock collar?

9. Holden

Holden New Member

I think you're trying too hard on this one. Think about this: humans have been keepnig people in chains and cells for thousands of years. It hasn't changed, even with our explosion of technology. I know you said you didn't want a cell, so I'm with cruciFICTION with the padded room idea. It's easy to convey, much more than describing to the reader a new system of fire and liquid chains.

Follow the KISS Rule: Keep It Simple, Stupid. :p

10. superman

superman New Member

An orb of electricity perhaps? like a huge ball surrounding him.

Lasers always seem futuristic...

Or else good old fashioned steel cusps for his writist and ankles - very science fiction.

How about going for a basic look even in a distant future. Something really barbaric? like Chain made from the bones of fallen warriors, or chains attached to a stone block, for example -

"Our hero felt as though he had been transported back in time instead of forward, as he was introduced to a cell long past its expiry date. The old fashioned chains reminded him of how important he was to these people; a mere rat in a cage. Technology beyond his imagine lay in the next room and yet he was subjected to this cesspool of an environment"

Sometimes the actual scenario doesn't matter, but instead what the scenario represents.

Hope this helps, it sounds like a very interesting story btw, i love gods lol.

Kind regards

11. PenandPencil

PenandPencil New Member

I'm very interested in Mythology of all cultures, and as I'm Irish I have been getting into the Celts. But it isn't as interesting (or as in-bred) as the Greeks' versions :D

No bother, always happy to help. I wish you luck with your story whatever happens. :)

BUT. I have to agree with Holden; whatever you do do, make it easily understandable. I mean, my description above of my idea, I tried to make it simple as I could possibly do (I don't know if it worked out now) but you can't dazzle your readers either. But anyway, good luck!! :D

12. Alex W

Alex W New Member

Ahh, but I am not in Connecticut my friend! lol. Only takes the slightest changes and someone can pass off your own story as theirs! Plus how long it's going to take me to write this does mean that someone could read the plot, finish the story themselves, and be done long before me! Not good :eek:

Not that i'm paranoid though....... :redface: :D

Having said that, I might aswell write a bit of the plot here incase anyone happens to be interested:

Celtic Hunter from the east of Britannia is killed around 350AD, only to be brought back to the world in 2400-ish as a pawn in a huge gladiator sport that involves using a newly found element called 'Protheus' that somehow reinvigorates the dead, forming their flesh and minds oncemore. This is used to create the top sport of the time, where incredibly wealthy families buy some of this and use it to carefully search for the resting places of great warriors and bring them back. (Often bringing back groups for the more common 'pitched battle' scenarios). Many different types of games, 6 man free for alls in a maze, hunts with small groups, many different types. The games, despite a large ethical debate, have been widely accepted by the populace. It's a huge money spinner, and massive crowd bringer.

Turi, the main character, after death ends up talking to Lugh (Celtic god, known for being a master of all skills) and finds out that the link between the dying and the afterlife is corrupting and breaking. This is later found to be happening because of the use of the new element.

Alot of plot twists, several arena battles and characters becoming involved with Turi, several of them joining Turi when he resolves to destroy the element iteslf, though there's a hell of alot that happens around this, why it happens etc that i'm not going to mention.

Thanks Holden, but i'd like something a little more than the whole 'padded cell' thing, its been done! I dislike cliche immensely, but thanks for the whole idea of keeping it simple. I don't want it to be so technical that the reader is already getting lost in the third chapter.

And thanks superman! (Never thought i'd be saying that sentence lol) I'm thinking of using PenandPencils idea and using my chains idea as what they use to imprison people. The collar is a good idea though, perhaps it's needed to monitor the Protheus upon first contact, could react badly in a few cases.

Thanks for the tips people! Much obliged :)

13. Alex W

Alex W New Member

Very true, the Greeks have a great mythology. Very interesting!

Thanks! Hope it turns out well :)

I don't intend to make the world too hard to follow, but I do want to make it my own. I dislike cliche, I want to give the reader a whole new feel to the world i've created. Not everything will be changed, that'd be silly, but it's the little details like that which I do not want to seem old or familiar.

Once again, thanks for the help, your idea may well go into the book :)

14. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

nanofiber restraints. Kind of a cross between Spidey webbing and the ropes the Lilliputians used to restrain Gulliver.

A chemical spray could react with the fibers to make them disintegrate when the restraints are no longer needed.