1. Paris_Love

Paris_Love New Member

I met a NYT bestselling author today

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Paris_Love, Feb 10, 2011.

Phillip Margolin. Too bad there is no way his method of selling so many NYT bestselling novels can be duplicated. It seemed like it was mostly luck that got him published in the first place. He also knew some very well connected people in the publishing industry that promoted the hell out of his books.

I did get my book signed and had a very enjoyable lunch with the author. I like his books, so that was a bonus, too.

2. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

Sounds like an interesting and enjoyable lunch. Cool for you, and for Phillip Margolin, who certainly had a good time and lunch as well.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

that points up one of the facts of life in the writing world... that success is often a case of who you know, more than what you have to sell...

4. Ellipse

Ellipse Contributor Contributor

Well, Tom Clancy's career was launched when Ronald Reagan mentioned The Hunt For Red October at a televised conference. Sometimes luck helps.

5. Paris_Love

Paris_Love New Member

Yeah, he got his start in a similar fashion. I'm not really trying to make a career out of being a writer, I'm mostly just focusing on being a better writer, for now.

I know that it is hella hard to make any kind of living from fiction writing. I do it because I have fun living in my own little fantasy world. :D