Just What IS the meaning of this? The Moral of your story

Discussion in 'Research' started by DrWhozit, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Liam Johnson

Liam Johnson New Member

Hmmm, really had to think about this for a good while. The true moral or message my current story is trying to tell is:

The secret to happiness lies in the harmony of ones nature and their nurture.

Or something like that!

2. Liam Johnson

Liam Johnson New Member

An equally valid idea would be the reverse of that: Can creativity admit ego? An art work cannot exist if it is claimed by an owner.

On the subject, one of my favourite quotes of all time: "Museums do not exist to protect the art from the people; they exist to protect the people from the art."

peachalulu likes this.
  3. Morbius

Morbius Member

You have the money, you have the power, you have the control to do ANYTHING you want...and yet any action (including doing nothing) brings its own set of consequences, many of which may be unforeseen.

Even the mightiest warrior, the most regal monarch, the most powerful wizard, the most celebrated hero...ends up being just a footnote in a history book in a thousand years.

Even being brave, courageous, unyielding to evil temptation and steadfast to the cause of righteousness...one can still be overwhelmed and killed by the forces of evil....but at least you get to be a martyr.

Everything you've ever been told, all the fundamental principles, religious doctrines and political promises...well...there weren't really so much outright lies....but lets say that people were mistaken and leave it at that.

4. Duchess-Yukine-Suoh

Duchess-Yukine-Suoh Girl #21 Contributor

"Sharing your life with others is the best thing you can do."

5. Bryan Romer

Bryan Romer Contributor Contributor

A pivotal event can be a disaster, an opportunity, a curse, or a discovery depending on how a person chooses to respond to it.

6. wade-newb

wade-newb Member

"Time moves on, dust settles on abandoned homes."

7. yanlins

yanlins Member

"Never surrender to your demons within."

MustWrite likes this.
  8. Keitsumah

Keitsumah The Dream-Walker Contributor

"Protect the ones you love, no matter the cost." -Gunthran

9. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer Contest Winner 2023

My WIR: "Strive to adhere to your highest standards, and the lesser ones will fall into place under them."

My WIP: "The blind idol blinds its worshipper." Or something of the sort!

10. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

Not sure lol. It's about redemption - that even the gravest sin, the deepest guilt, can be wiped clean and the person redeemed and given a second chance. That death might be a blessing, and life is not mere existence. That all is not in black and white.

MustWrite and yagr like this.
  11. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

The one I'm working on now is the classic "Revenge is a dish best served cold".

12. yagr

yagr Senior Member

Beneath all illusions, we are the same. That's the general theme that I plan on running throughout a series. Each book adds a new puzzle piece to the overall picture.

Simpson17866 likes this.
  13. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

something weird!

why isn't this thread showing in the section menu?... it appears in the general menu as the last thread in the 'research' section to be posted in, but when i click on 'research' this thread is not anywhere in the list of threads and the latest post shown there is in the 'hospital stay' thread...

am i going nuts, or what?

14. A Green Mark

A Green Mark New Member

Love sucks most of the time.

15. J.W.Exeter

J.W.Exeter Member

Cannabis.
    It's a real world problem, infecting more and more people. Not arguing whether you should or shouldn't choose cannabis, but there are complications and certain opinions and views that don't often get any exposure. Figured it would be interesting to illustrate those in a fantasy environment. As well, deeply exploring the theme of depression. Another problem I see as growing more and more in modern society.

"I'm a pothead, but I tell anyone, if they never smoke cannabis, they are probably better off for it. "

16. feathersinflight

feathersinflight Member

"Two worlds colliding is not necessarily painful, for when they connect, they have the potential to give birth to another world..."

"If you want to reach that castle that makes dreams come true so badly, then you might as well fulfill your wish yourself."

"Remember that when everybody has moved away from you, your family will still be with you."

Childhood youth vs. Growing up

The world as we perceive it vs. the world as it is

Making connections, ties, and "bridges" with other people

Any relationship involves effort and time.

"What was learned through grace can be again learned through skill" (I swear some variant of this was in Philip Pullman's Amber Spyglass but I can't find it)

Letting go of the past to embrace the future

17. daemon

daemon Contributor Contributor

Mother Theresa said something that I think would be a fitting response to what I am writing:

"Being unwanted, unloved, uncared for, forgotten by everybody, I think that is a much greater hunger, a much greater poverty than the person who has nothing to eat."

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  18. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Choices you make will bring consequences and benefits. You will reap them both.

19. MustWrite

MustWrite Member

There is always hope- don't let go of your faith no matter how grim things look.
    Duty is great and everything, but sometimes you have to choose a better future for yourself than being 'good',
    And, True love doesn't mean you won't have to fight for it, it means it is worth fighting for.

20. MustWrite

MustWrite Member

No one is beyond redemption, and no one is good enough to not need grace.

21. AlannaHart

AlannaHart Senior Member

Pretty much the opposite of @J.W.Exeter. It's not an outright theme, but there are loads of 'many drugs aren't as bad for us as we're lead to think they are' allusions.
    The overarching meaning is probably closer to 'being a good person doesn't always mean being "good".'

22. daemon

I have a novel about a drug empire in the back of my mind, and while I could not see myself writing it to convey a message, I think the reader would get something out of it like "there are plenty of wrong answers to the problem of violence in the drug trade, but no right answer." Not unlike my reaction to The Wire.

23. Swiveltaffy

Swiveltaffy Contributor Contributor

We are all irrational creatures in an absurd world. Life is repetition and a two-faced perpetuation of something that cannot be elaborated from forever. We are all Sisyphus. Suicide will bring you to the place you've always been chasing for, but you lack the conviction to wrap that rope around your neck.

24. daemon

Unless your name is "Robin Williams".

Too soon?

25. Swiveltaffy

Swiveltaffy Contributor Contributor

I have that thread open in another tab; I have yet to read it. Either way, what does "too soon" even mean, right?

daemon likes this.