1. skeloboy_97

skeloboy_97 New Member

Just wondering/

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by skeloboy_97, Dec 3, 2010.

Hi there,

Just briefly, does anybody know how old the youngest published writer is? thanks

2. HeinleinFan

HeinleinFan Banned

Depends on how you define "Published." Many kids contribute short letters or essays to magazines and newspapers, both in explicit "children's sections" and outside of it. As for short stories, again, some authors are quite young when their first works are published, although they may not be published by a "professional market" in terms of pay rate and audience.

Novel authors like Amelia Atwater-Rhodes and others can be quite young when their books are first published. Definitely 16 or younger, sometimes as young as 14. Bethany Huang published her first novel, The Eiffel Tower's Daughter, shortly after she turned 11.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

were either/both of those vanity published?... or were their books put out by traditional paying houses?

4. Trilby

Trilby Contributor Contributor

About 30yrs ago a nine years old girl wrote stories about an onion and his vedgtable friends. It was adapted for TV and went out on, what at the time was called, childrens hour.

5. FrankABlissett

FrankABlissett Active Member

Mama - Atwater-Rhodes was in the unique position of having a middle-school English teacher who was also a literary agent. I believe he was able to get Random House to pick up the ms when she was still 14. Of course, there was likely some value in the PR of signing someone so young.

A simple case of "who you know".

-Frank

6. Unit7

Unit7 Contributor Contributor

There is also Nancy Li Fan's Swordbird. She was 13 when the book was published by HarperCollin's Children Books. I think she began writing it when she was like 11 and finished when she was 12.

There is also two books a prequel and a sequel I guess.

7. Michael Daaboul

Michael Daaboul New Member

Contacts is very important in this regard. If you can make a lot of money (someone in the know can see that), they will pick you up fast.

8. HeinleinFan

HeinleinFan Banned

Don't know about Huang's book, but Amelia Atwater-Rhodes was picked up by a traditional publisher of YA fantasy fiction when she was 14 -- I assume you've heard of Bantom / Doubleday, part of Random House? -- and had several decently-selling books out before she was 18. I've read about four of them, and thought they were pretty good.

She's not the only under-18, of course. There's a girl, I want to say her name is Moskowitz, who published Break and another YA book before she was 19. They've sold quite well and Break won an award as a good book for teenagers.