1. Pink-Angel-1992

Pink-Angel-1992 Active Member

Whole Planet or just a Kingdom?

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by Pink-Angel-1992, Dec 8, 2011.

Sometime last year I got this idea and I wanted to set it upon a fictional planet, which I still want to. I was going to create the whole planet, but I'm wondering if it would be best to concentrate on just one kingdom on that planet. I don't have a solid idea and I don't know where the story will take me, but I'm wondering if creating the whole planet will be over whelming and a waste of time, especially if the story stays in one kingdom!

I thought that I would be best to ask for someones opinion instead of mulling it myself and carry on getting no where with my story!
    Thanks!

2. Metus

Metus New Member

If I were you, I'd concentrate on one kingdom. You can add information about other places however you want, but the primary goal should be making the areas closest to your characters the most realistic.

3. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

Yeah just focus on the One Kingdom, but you can mention the other parts of your details if it's a planet. But do what your inner writer tells you, but if i were you i would stick with the planet, but have a steep focus on the one setting but try your best to give out details of the outer part without infodumping, but if that's not your style that's cool too.

4. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

double post

5. Yuri Strike

Yuri Strike New Member

If your protogonists are adventurers or war is the main element of the story, create a whole planet. If not, concentrating on one kingdom is okay.

6. Pink-Angel-1992

My current idea is that one character will be sent on a mission by the society she belongs to and she hires a group of mercinaries - an a young teen from the streets will get through into the works. The job she was sent on will scale into something bigger and dangerous. Haven't got a firm plot down or anything yet, just idea's here and there. So I don't know where the story will take the characters, so maybe it would be best to plan the basics of the whole planet and anything important to each kingdom and see how it goes when I start writing.

How much should be known before start writing? (especially or at least for beginners?)

7. Pink-Angel-1992

My current idea is that one character will be sent on a mission by the society she belongs to and she hires a group of mercinaries - an a young teen from the streets will get through into the works. The job she was sent on will scale into something bigger and dangerous. Haven't got a firm plot down or anything yet, just idea's here and there. So I don't know where the story will take the characters, so maybe it would be best to plan the basics of the whole planet and anything important to each kingdom and see how it goes when I start writing.

How much should be known before start writing? (especially or at least for beginners?)

[Double Post!]

8. Ross M Kitson

Ross M Kitson New Member

I've created perhaps three worlds in my time, the most recent being one called Nurolia (take a look at http://sites.google.com/site/worldofnurolia/home/maps-of-nurolia ). It's the setting for my trilogy and I designed it in a fair amount of detail before I began writing. First of all I drew the continent ( so not the whole world) then sketched out the nations in rough. I knew some aspects of the level if technology, magic and key history points so roughed those out. Then I focused on one nation where the story was to begin and filled it in mire detail. As I wrote I jotted down stuff and jiggled it around some more.
    Hope that helps. More than glad to help more if u need it.
    Cheers
    Ross

9. Ross M Kitson

Ross M Kitson New Member

I've created perhaps three worlds in my time, the most recent being one called Nurolia (take a look at http://sites.google.com/site/worldofnurolia/home/maps-of-nurolia ). It's the setting for my trilogy and I designed it in a fair amount of detail before I began writing. First of all I drew the continent ( so not the whole world) then sketched out the nations in rough. I knew some aspects of the level if technology, magic and key history points so roughed those out. Then I focused on one nation where the story was to begin and filled it in mire detail. As I wrote I jotted down stuff and jiggled it around some more.
    Hope that helps. More than glad to help more if u need it.
    Cheers
    Ross

10. Yuri Strike

Yuri Strike New Member

Work out the general plot so you'll focus on the important places when doing world building.

And basic geography!

11. Pink-Angel-1992

Thanks! I have started to sketch a map in Photoshop for my planet... I think I still have it though I could have been deleted. I definally need to get somewhat of a firm plot down, at least just an outline because then that would help me! I've now started that, lets see how that develops... I have a bad habit of changing my mind on stuff, but it's just planning so that okay, especially if the idea/change is better:D!