1. Kater

Kater Member

Kater's Journal (Cry of Winter)

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by Kater, Sep 12, 2017.

This is largely just to make me feel better about myself lol
    Feel free to post and comment or whatever.

Current Book: The Cry of Winter (First in the Crown of Seasons Saga)
    Genre: Children's(????) Fantasy Epic, Quest, Horror undertones because I can't help myself i l ove hor ro r O K

Planning Start Date: 9/2017
    Writing Start Date: --

End Date (GOAL): Christmas, 2017

Word Count: 0
    Word Count Goal: 30,000

2. Kater

Kater Member

The last two nights I've been frantically outlining the first three chapters. I have a pretty good idea of how I want things to start and how I want the two main characters to meet. However, I need to draw a map because there's a lot of good ol' fashioned traveling and questing involved, and even in my outlining I keep getting confused about where the villain is in relation to the protagonists. Which is important, you know? Can't have them running into each other before the kids are ready to take on the greatest war lord in the realm.

Speaking of, everyone still needs names and backgrounds. I have a vague idea, but I really like sitting down and just writing pages on a single character. I haven't had time to do so lately what with the job search and my depression but I think I need to get on that before I go any further. Even in just the first few chapters there's two main characters and about six side characters that deserve at least a few pages about them. Even if they're only in the story for a few pages, I adore having well fleshed out real characters. I don't care if the awkward teenage guard only has one line and then runs screaming into the night, I want to know his name, his family history, how did he become a guard, who's the girl he keeps sneaking off to visit at night and therefore neglects his guard duty and lets the enemy through the gate to the castle??? HMMMM??? Important stuff!

So, I guess my current goal(s) for this week are:
    • Character backstory for MC1, MC2, Duchess, Lady, Cook1, Cook2, Guard, Runner, War Lord. Also for MC3, even though she won't be appearing until much later in the story, maybe not even in this first book.
    • Write the prologue and at least part of chapter 1, however rough and hideous.
    I don't have a clear vision of where this particular volume is going after the two main characters get together in chapter 3. I know it'll come to me once I get them interacting with each other and have a better idea of the world layout, maps, etc. I do know how I want this first volume to end (with the revelation of the Cry of Winter, a magical weapon that the kids use to save themselves from certain death, etc), but I'm not exactly sure how I'm getting from point A to point Z. But hey! The journey is half (most!) the fun!

3. Pyra Sunny

Pyra Sunny New Member

Oooh, how old are your main characters? If you need help with names, there's this dandy website called http://www.fantasynamegenerators.com/ with gazillions of names. Maybe I should post it under resources... naw, I'm too new.

4. Kater

Kater Member

I'm not quite sure on ages yet. Like I can picture them in my mind and I know how they act but it's been such long since I've been around children whose ages I know that I have a hard time putting numbers to them.

5. Kater

Kater Member

Haven't done much in the way of writing this past week. I started to write a prologue a few times and I outlined chapter one, but it's just not flowing. A lot of stress right now and I've been trying to focus on going back to school and learning an art program, so writing has kind of fallen to the wayside. I haven't given up though! My girlfriend will be out of town a few days next week and I plan on shutting myself up in my room and seeing how much focused writing I can get done without any kind of distractions.

6. Kater

Kater Member

{shows up 2 months late with coffee}
    Okay, shit happened, things changed. Got my life back on track and I'm gonna try this again.
    Cry of Winter is being put on hold right now because it's Just So Much and I don't have the energy for it right now, or the interest in fantasy. Instead I'm starting on The Burning Moon, a series idea I had awhile ago that I'm finally getting going on. I think I'm just going to write it as an episodic Kindle serial. It's more for practice and maybe for making a few extra bucks than anything else. I don't have the time to think about writing something for publication in a serious way right now, so we'll just have to see.

Finally got a pretty good first page down today. I was having a really hard time figuring out where to start and with which character. Finally decided on the main(est) character, and decided to do a bedtime scene because the story kicks off with her sleepwalking and having a weird dream. Found a way to incorporate the little brother and to cover that she's been having these weird fever dreams for awhile now, etc etc etc, without actually having to include scenes of stuff that happened before. Getting better at it.

Still not sure which sleep scene this is exactly. The game changer is when she finally sleepwalks into traffic; I don't know if that's going to be the opening sleepwalk scene, or if I'm going to have her bump into her apartment door first, or what. We'll see. Excited to finally have gotten over the writer's block and to be doing something productive and fun again.