1. SapereAude

SapereAude Contributor Contributor

KDP problem

Discussion in 'Print on Demand' started by SapereAude, May 30, 2021.

I'm not sure if this belongs here or in "Software," but was a problem encountered at the publishing stage, so I'll post here:

I've been working for quote some time on a book that I finally thought was ready to submit to Amazon KDP for self-publishing as a print-on-demand book. When I uploaded the PDF file, KDP's automated quality checker found several problems with margins. This was caused by the fact that the book includes full-page reproductions of several U.S. government documents, as downloaded directly off the Internet. They came off the Internet as PDFs, soI was able to re-format them to fit my 6" x 9" page trim size and insert them into the master file, but I had no control over the margins.

When they failed the quality control test, I couldn't approve the upload and proceed, even if I were willing to take a chance on the margins. So I did what I had hoped to avoid -- I put on my big boy pants and retyped several of the documents in Word to get the text to fit the margins.

When I uploaded the new file, I had a single error -- it said there was a missing font on page 283 that needed to be embedded. Page 283 was one of the pages I had just typed in, and the fonts for that document were the same fonts used throughout the book. How could a font not have been embedded? I consulted a friend who is an IT professional and he had no idea what might be happening so, as a test, I replaced page 283 in the PDF with a blank page and uploaded the file again.

Now I got the same message about a missing font -- for page 284!

In the end, I threw in the towel and resorted to a work-around. I recently about the "Snapshot" function in Adobe Acrobat and Acrobat Reader. So what I did was to open the original document (ten pages) in Reader, take a snapshot of each page, paste it into Windows Paint, and save it as a JPEG. Then I went to that section of the manuscript and inserted each page image onto a single page in the manuscript.

And that worked. The next upload passed the quality control test, and I have now ordered a pre-press sample copy so I can do a final review before going live with the book.

I'm happy to have found a work-around but ... does anyone have any idea what the heck happened?