1. Bakkerbaard

Bakkerbaard Contributor Contributor

KDP puts odd-number on the left

Discussion in 'Print on Demand' started by Bakkerbaard, Sep 10, 2021.

What the hell?
    Everybody but KDP seems to agree that odds go on the right hand page. As did my typestter, so now the margins are exactly wrong.

Is there something I should have told KDP to do, or do I send the PDF back again?

2. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

I know with some programs you can click a box to tell it to skip the 1st page. I don't know if KDP has that or not, but it seems likely?

3. SapereAude

SapereAude Contributor Contributor

Edit the manuscript, and then resubmit the PDF.

Did you use section breaks to start new chapters? If so (and you should), did you use the break for "Odd page"? Or did you just use "next page"?

Are the title and copyright pages on the correct sides? Table of contents? If so -- wherever things went astray, you need to insert a blank page.

4. Bakkerbaard

Typesetter fixed it.
    KDP doesn't allow for any fiddling, as far as I can tell. The whole thing is fine now, though.

I do know that I will be fast tracking my plans to do typesetting for other stories myself. I hate this lack of control.

5. SapereAude

SapereAude Contributor Contributor

That's correct. Any revisions have to be made in the PDF, which then has to be uploaded again. And to correct the PDF requires correcting the underlying word processor file, then re-creating the PDF.

It's good that your typesetter fixed it ... since he/she caused the problem in the first place.

It isn't all that difficult. I can't imagine paying someone to do it when I can do it myself and have complete control over the end result. And if you provided the manuscript in digital format (such as a Word file), it isn't really "typesetting" anyway. It's just "formatting."

Bakkerbaard likes this.
  6. Bakkerbaard

I would have done it myself, if I hadn't felt overwhelmed because of a contrived series of events coming together in a Rube Goldbergian way. Looking back, it was an overreaction. Don't tell my girlfriend. I want to be able to keep making fun of her for her overreactions.

Whatever it is, I will be doing it in the future.
    For now, I'll have to suffer through it. Which brings me to the EPUB, for which I will need to open a different thread.