1. Duchess-Yukine-Suoh

Duchess-Yukine-Suoh Girl #21 Contributor

A Paper Towel Christmas?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Duchess-Yukine-Suoh, Nov 30, 2013.

Well, the holidays are approaching, but the greatest gifts of the season don't require very much. For your convience, I've written up a handy list of what local charities need the most.

Animal Shelters and Rescues
    • Paper towels
    • Canned dog and cat food
    • Dry dog and cat food
    • Toys for both dogs and cats
    • Crates
    • Pet-safe cleanser
    • Treats

Food Pantries or Soup Kitchens

• Canned soup
    • Canned tuna, Spam, etc.
    • Parmalat
    • Cereal
    • Instant mashed potatoes
    • Canned fruits and veggies
    Really any food that keeps is good

Shelter-type Charities

• Toys
    • Kids' Books
    • Toothpaste and toothbrushes
    • Deodorant
    • Clean sheets
    • Crockpots and the like
    • Clothes in good condition
    • Toilet Paper
    Have a happy holiday!

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  2. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

I take the hotel soaps and shampoos (yes I'm one of those people), but when I get a box-full I donate them to a group that helps street kids.

3. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

A couple of friends and I will be volunteering at this local place that donates books to kids for Christmas. As a book lover, I really think this is a great cause.

You're like the Robin Hood of hygiene products! :D

4. Duchess-Yukine-Suoh

Duchess-Yukine-Suoh Girl #21 Contributor

I think I'll add books to the list now, thanks!
    I actually know a lot of people who do this. I'm sure that makes the kids happy because it's not just normal soap, it's hotel soap! :D

5. erebh

erebh Banned Contributor

Grocery Outlet have a donate food campaign going right now that I think stinks. The idea is to buy a can of food and place in the cart by the door.

To me it's saying, "Give me a dollar and I'll give 20cent to a homeless dude - well Grocery Outlet - GFY!

123456789 likes this.
  6. MLM

MLM Banned for trolling

Don't forget that you can also donate to third parties instead of giving to charity. Fix the leak, don't just put pots and pans on the floor, etc...

7. erebh

erebh Banned Contributor

Who's the third party? I'd rather give a few dollars to or buy a hot meal for the first party - the homeless guy...

8. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Give directly to the homeless shelter. But if you choose to give directly to the guy begging at the freeway onramp, you take your chances.

9. JJ_Maxx

JJ_Maxx Banned

Yeah, I wouldn't give money directly to homeless people. You won't be helping them as they will often use that money to buy alcohol or drugs. Because I work in the city, I will routinely grab an extra sandwich or a coffee and give it to one of the guys living on the streets.

chicagoliz likes this.
  10. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

The food pantry where I donate told me that one of the things they really need is toilet paper. Although you often purchase it in a grocery store, when you're doing grocery shopping, it's not food, and you can't get them from food stamps or from most other forms of aid. That was an item that had never occurred to me, but it makes a lot of sense now that I am aware.

GingerCoffee likes this.
  11. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Nice. Glad to see you aren't buying into negative stereotypes.

erebh likes this.
  12. erebh

erebh Banned Contributor

because all homeless people are alcoholic junkies....

buy a guy a $6 sandwich instead of a loaf of bread and some filling for the same price is err, what's that saying? Give a man a fish... Teach him to fish...

13. JJ_Maxx

JJ_Maxx Banned

I said often, not always. It's not a stereotype, it's factual and also extremely anecdotal seeing how I work in an inner-city ER. Substance abuse sometimes is a cause of homelessness, but more often people turn to drugs and alcohol to cope with their situation.

According to the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, the homeless population is more than twice as likely to abuse alcohol and more than three times as likely to abuse drugs.

Also, according to the National Institute on Drug Abuse, drug overdose has replaced HIV as the number one cause of death among the homeless population.

So while I wish it was an unfounded stereotype, it's too true.

14. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

I've been homeless before, and I can't say that I went and got drunk while homeless. I was worried too much about getting out of the shelter where I was getting eaten up by bed bugs. Not all homeless people only worry about getting drunk or getting high. :rolleyes:

15. JJ_Maxx

JJ_Maxx Banned

Most of the individuals begging for money on the streets are chronically homeless, and have a high risk of mental disorders and substance abuse issues.

16. Lewdog

So you punish everyone for the fault of a few? I've never begged on the streets, but I think it is a terrible stereotype to make. Part of the reason a lot of people are homeless and remain homeless is because of this exact type of thinking. I've met some of the nicest people I will ever know, and they were homeless. I'd rather have them come have a meal in my home any day compared to some of the Lexus driving politicians whom some people won't bat an eye lash to donate money to their election campaigns.

17. JJ_Maxx

JJ_Maxx Banned

I advocated helping the homeless population by other means than handing over cash to them. I'm not sure how you arrived at the idea that I'm somehow anti-homeless. Just the opposite actually.

I would suggest reading a little more carefully instead of jumping to incorrect assumptions.

18. Lewdog

Nothing to jump to, straight from your mouth:

You are jumping to conclusions and perpetuating a stereotype. That's a group I was once a part of, I take it personally. That's how it is. I believe Cogito read it exactly the same way I did, so I think my reading is just fine. At one point in my life I was bringing home over $3,500 a month, had a home, a new car, and could take vacations to Europe. Bad things happen, and it's bad enough to lose everything you got, being stereotyped as an alcoholic drug user on top of that sure doesn't make things any easier to get back on your feet.

19. JJ_Maxx

JJ_Maxx Banned

I'm not gonna argue with you. My statement was based on fact, which I proved with multiple references.

Honestly, I'm glad the facts bother you, because that means you think it's a horrible thing, and I agree with you 100% and I am thankful your situation ended atypically.

Cheers.

20. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

I don't agree with @JJ_Maxx on a lot of things, but I have to say, that in this instance, I think he is right and I don't think he was disparaging the homeless. He is right that there is a disproportionate number of homeless people who have mental illnesses, and that is a factor that contributes to a high number of instances of substance abuse. Many homeless advocacy organizations do advise people not to give money directly to the homeless who are begging for money on the streets, but rather, to give them food, or to give money to some sort of homeless shelter or advocacy group.

Of course not every person who is homeless is an alcoholic or drug abuser. JJ did not say that they were. But it is a much higher percentage than what you find in the general population. He didn't say not to help them at all -- he said that he often gives them a sandwich or coffee. If someone is genuinely hungry, why would they not be happy to receive a coffee or a sandwich?

I know that there are a lot of people who are temporarily homeless, and I've read some stories that are scary in showing how it really could happen to almost anyone. I think it is terrible that anyone would find themselves in this situation. But there are organizations that can help people, and people who are homeless but do not have mental health issues and substance abuse issues are more able to navigate the avenues of help available to them, and to eventually get out of their situation.

JJ_Maxx likes this.