1. it just comes to me

it just comes to me New Member

Novel Kicking off the story

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by it just comes to me, Nov 10, 2008.

Although my name states the truth, it doens't hold true on this topic. I FAIL everytime I try to kick off my novel. I simply do not know how. I have tried various techniques (Starting suddenly with action or dialogue, etc.) but all of them seem wrong to me. Any suggestions? :)

2. Acglaphotis

Acglaphotis New Member

Do it the way it seems wrong. Then do it again, in a totally different way. It may still 'feel' wrong, if that's the case, do it again. May seem pointless, but doing it this way I found an opening I liked, after 6 tries.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I think one of the best places to start is with a character dealing with a problem. It need not be the main character, and the problem need not be connected with the central plot, but showing the character in action involves the reader in the story and lets him or her know the character.

Also, never begin by explaining. Tease the reader, leave him or her with questions, that can only be answered by continuing to read.

4. Emerald

Emerald New Member

Try to think of the most unexpected, attention-grabbing thing you could possibly do, within the context of your story, and start with that.

And one tip: starting with a brutal murder is not unexpected these days...

5. Sylvester

Sylvester New Member

What is your novel about?

Knowing the subject of your novel might help. If it's a murder mystery set in New York, maybe simply start with a homeless man or even a father and son fishing in Central park (Do they fish in Central Park:confused:). The scene can morph over a few pages to your story.

Try different angles. Some writers rush right into their story. Other will take several pages before any of the lead characters are even mentioned.

Just relax, "It'll come to you.":D

6. architectus

architectus Banned

Something you could try. Write the story, then look at a high point around half way into it. And rewrite starting from that point.

7. lipton_lover

lipton_lover New Member

You've got a lot of great suggestions already, but another thing you can try is to forget about it for now, just make a note that it needs fixing. When you get to the point where you're asking for critiques, point it out and ask for help if you haven't come up with something already.

One reason why it's not good to have your beginning set from the get go is because at least for me when I write my story tends to have a mind of its own, and I just follow my pencil as it writes. Which means, your beginning may not even end up fitting the story.

I like the last poster's idea. Start writing from as close to the "beginning" of some character's story as possible. This time REALLY don't worry about the beginning. Write for a while, and choose a place to start from. Stories have a wonderful way of having a million places to start and end.
    Hope it helps! Nate

8. it just comes to me

it just comes to me New Member

Thnaks guys! This one thing has been bugging me since I started writing, but now with this advice I don't think it will seem as formidable!

9. Scarecrow28

Scarecrow28 New Member

If you have the time, you could also write the same opening in different ways and then compare them and, hopefully, you'll be able to tell which one works the best for you.

10. Mike Nemesis

Mike Nemesis Active Member

I always find that i just start writing and then I'll go back and edit it for example in my latest project I've started writing I've since went back and kept the concept that was going on at the time but completly changed the explanation of what was going on because i decided it didn't work as well as it could.

Certainty isn't the key at the start, just let the ideas flow and soon they'll take shape and then you come back and restructure. Maybe not the way for everyone but its how i find it is and by the sounds of it I'm not alone.

11. Nilfiry

Nilfiry Senior Member

My only advice if you are still stuck is to try something different. That's all. Just keep trying something different. It's the same for when solving puzzles. Try something different and you'll figure it out.