Kickstarting a book?

Discussion in 'Self-Publishing' started by Ulramar, Sep 5, 2014.

1. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

This isn't directly responsive to your question, but I find myself wondering if the multi-author, multi-story book replaced some of the functions of a reader and editor. Each participant presumably had to consent to the other stories being included--even if there wasn't any formal vote/consent process, then at least each participant could pull their story if they felt that they didn't want to be associated with the other stories. So every story was presumably evaluated by several people who (1) didn't write it and (2) had some measure of power in the project.

Presumably. Theoretically.

A big part of the problem with self-published books is that the writer is judging his own work, and judging from most of them, the writer is judging it far, far too leniently. And even if the writer is prepared to believe that his work isn't ready, who is going to tell him?

2. Ulramar

Ulramar Contributor Contributor

I could honestly see the "I'll pull mine if everyone elses' isn't good" thing. It may not even be like something people discussed but I'm sure it went through everyone's mind. So yes that definitely helps with quality control a bit. I haven't actually gotten to reading either of them yet since I've been busy with school.