Killing off characters that you like or even love

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by MarcT, Feb 7, 2017.

1. KevinMcCormack

KevinMcCormack Senior Member

It does reduce the stakes if characters don't really die. I feel sorry for Supernatural's writers at this point. They had to introduce a Reaper whose entire purpose appeared to be to restore the danger associated with mortality. "No, this time I'll make sure you're dead-dead, not just Winchester-dead."

There's possibly a tolerable exception: when that's important to the plot. eg: Frank Herbert's [The Godmakers] includes a 'resurrection' requirement before a character can be considered a candidate for godhood. The POV character dies and is restored; and in this case it's not a trope, but rather, a plot inflection point.

And sometimes it's nice to resurrect a character just to kill him again. One of the only good things about Star Trek Generations was that we got to see Kirk die twice. I was assuming the first time killed his body, and the second time was necessary to take out his ego.