1. DystopianApocolypse

DystopianApocolypse Member

Time travel

Discussion in 'Research' started by DystopianApocolypse, Apr 1, 2016.

I'm looking for good examples of time travel stories. By this, I do not mean stories that revolve around time travel, for instance, back to the future, or doctor who, in which someone has a power or device allowing them to transcend time itself and go as they freely will.
    For the anime fans, I'm looking more so with a character that fits towards Homura Akemi from Puella magi madoka magica. For those who don't know, and don't mind spoilers, Homura was granted powers as a magical girl by the space creature kyubi. She uses these powers as a magical girl to rewind time, trying to keep from a bad event from happening. The story does not follow her though. The story, as the namesake, followes Madoka, who is the protagonist. she does not have time altering powers or anything, and this is where we really get to the bulk of what I'm looking for. Homura, trying to change fate, uses her time travel, and her knowledge created from multiple traversed timelines, to try and keep the bad fate from befalling Madoka. To madoka, who the show focuses on, Homura is a mysterious character, always knowing things and showing up in places she shouldn't be able to know of.
    The only other example I can think of is Undertale, in the character sans, who is is not confirmed, though he often shows he has abilities that can be explained by time travel. he's able to know things before they happen. He disappears from one side of the room and reappears in the other, he has a range of awareness.

So, to sum up everything what I'm looking for is this. a time travel story that focuses not on the time traveler, but on someone else. the story itself does not have to be about time travel, but will include a character who has or may have time altering powers. the story does not focus on the time traveler though, it focuses on someone else, who is affected by the time traveler and who is constantly in focus to notice the time traveler and how they strangely know things and how they are able to move in ways that shouldn't be possible.

2. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    You might find the story of John Titor interesting, but you will have to look it up. Though it is kind of a duel edged sword the way you want more on the traveler, and not the machine/how they time travel. Well anywho good luck. :D

3. doggiedude

doggiedude Contributor Contributor

Connie Willis has some excellent books that focus on some time travelers that are unable to alter any major events without the universe preventing it. The plots are generally driven by the historical experience the time traveler has to live through.
    Her book - The Doomsday Book is my personal favorite in the 4 book series (Although, they can be read in any order this is the first one.)

4. DystopianApocolypse

DystopianApocolypse Member

I'm more so looking for stories where people don't outright time travel but are more so affected by other people who time travel.

5. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Well now that is the rub, isn't it. Perhaps you could start a thread asking people (hypothetically of course), what kind of impact would a time traveler have on their life. Along with a brief synopsis on who, and when they came from. It might be your best bet for getting a sampling of what you're looking for. Just an idea, there are a lot of great people here who would be more than willing to give it their best shot, and help you out.

6. HelloImRex

HelloImRex Senior Member

The Golden State Warriors are a good example. Someone is going back and rewinding time every time Curry misses a three and changing stuff with the butterfly effect until he makes the shot.