1. Spencer1990

Spencer1990 Contributor Contributor

WTF Microsoft Word?

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by Spencer1990, Sep 2, 2017.

I need some help here, guys.

For the past few weeks, every time I open Word, it has changed my default language to Dutch and won't let me change it back to English. I've looked on Google and only found examples of how to change the language setting (I've tried this multiple times). I have no idea why this started. I haven't changed anything on my computer. I haven't messed with settings. Every time I open a document, it detects and sets my default language to Dutch. I've even turned off the feature to automatically detect language.

If anyone has any idea why this is happening or how to fix it, that would be fantastic!

2. mashers

mashers Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer

Try searching for a file called normal.dot on your computer. Make sure you include hidden and system files. It's the global template which is applied to all documents. I've seen cases where it gets corrupt and causes weird things like that. Just delete it - it will be recreated automatically.

Spencer1990 likes this.
  3. Spencer1990

I'm not seeing a file called normal.dot. I'm on a Mac. Would that make any difference?

4. mashers

Ahh sorry, when I saw you're using Word I assumed you're on Windows.

Ok, I'm a Mac user too. Can you try something for me? Click on the Apple symbol and choose System Preferences. Choose Users and Groups. Add a user (just call it "test" or something). Log out, then log in as the test user. Open word, and let me know if the language setting is normal. That will determine where we look to solve the problem.

Spencer1990 and Wreybies like this.
  5. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Science! :-D

Spencer1990 and mashers like this.
  6. Spencer1990

Okay. You are going to think I went full stupid, but I created the new user, logged in, opened word and logged into my Microsoft account. It had no problem detecting English as the proper language.

Then I came back onto my normal user profile, and Word is no longer having issues knowing which language I'm using. I don't know if signing in with my Microsoft account on the other user had anything to do with it, but, for now, it's no longer an issue.

Fernando.C likes this.
  7. mashers

Not stupid at all. How long has it been happening, and have you logged out of your account since having the problem? Maybe logging out and back in is all that was needed. If it happens again, try logging out and back in to the same account (i.e. your normal one, not the test one) and see f it still resolves it. If it does, then logging out and back in seems to be the fix. If it doesn't, try logging in to the test account, back out, then back in to your normal account. If that fixes it again, perhaps there's something odd going on with your user account on the Mac which we need to look in to. Either way, post here and I'll get notified and I'll do what I can to help :)

Spencer1990 and Fernando.C like this.
  8. Spencer1990

I guess it's been quite a while since I've been on another account as there are none! I'm the only user, so I hadn't the need to make another account. It's been happening for a couple weeks now. I don't exactly know when it started, but I do know that I haven't changed any settings.

And thank you for being willing to help!

9. mashers

And have you logged out at all, or restarted the computer? Or has it been on standby and remained logged in all that time?

10. Spencer1990

I've restarted the computer, turned it off, regularly.

11. mashers

Hmm, weird. That makes me feel that logging out and back in was a fluke. See how it goes and tag me if it happens again!

Spencer1990 likes this.
  12. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

I just laughed out loud reading your Word problem :rofl: it sounds like it's playing a prank on you! Glad it's no longer an issue!

And I just saw this new emoji... :wotwot: It's awesome. Yeah it's almost 1am and I need sleep... :wotwot::wotwot::wotwot:

Spencer1990 likes this.
  13. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

I know very little but I suggest you change your log-in passwords. In case someone else logged in ... ???

14. Martin Beerbom

Martin Beerbom Senior Member

Just want to remind all of you that there are two accounts involved... The local Mac account, and the Microsoft account. You logged out and back in both, didn't you? So you cannot know which of the two was responsible... Only ever change one thing at a time if you really want to know!