1. graveleye

graveleye Senior Member

Kissing...really kissing.

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by graveleye, Apr 10, 2019.

Help me out folks. I can think of a few ways to describe kissing, but there must be more. Unfortunately for me, I've done more writing with kissing in it than I have read kissing scenes.

Gentle caresses are easy to describe. Soft lips, tender moments blah blah... Easy-peasy.

Feverishly and passionately, now that's a different story, and I'm afraid those are about the only two words I can think of to describe the kind of kissing that is probably going lead to, well...you know...relations. :whistle::agreed:

I know how to kiss tenderly, feverishly and passionately, and perhaps without abandon. I'm pretty good at it too (or so I've been told lol). But I want to know some more creative ways to describe that sort of kissing.

I know..."feverishly" is probably a little weird, but it's hot to me for some strange reason.

Ideas?

(Mods, if this is not in a good subforum, please feel free to move it to a more appropriate section.)

Shenanigator likes this.
  2. Reece

Reece Senior Member

Hunger/thirst, desperation, crushing, frantic

3. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

If this is romantic kissing, I'd personally focus less on just the physical kissing and more on the emotional side of it. Not only does it write as more romantic, but there are a lot more ways to describe emotions than smooshing faces.

4. Shenanigator

Shenanigator Has the Vocabulary of a Well-Educated Sailor. Contributor

Good stuff, kissing...Some might say magical. But I digress...

I usually mix it up to describe the effect the kissing is having as well as the kissing itself. Some cliches in here, but things like:

breathing or pulse quickening,
    losing all track of time, space, or where hands might be wandering,
    kissing deeply,
    kisses growing more intense or insistent,
    mouths locked together more passionately,

ETA: hungrily is a really good one.

yadda, yadda, and yadda.
    :D

Reece and The Dapper Hooligan like this.
  5. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

There's a good Jenna Moreci video on kissing scenes ( I know some people have issues with Jenna as an expert.. blah de blah but this one is decent)

In essence its about 10% about what goes where and 90% about how it feels - the same is true for sex scenes, way to many people go for "the insert tab a into hole b and tighten with an 8mm allen key" approach rather than concentrating on sensations and emotions

Shenanigator likes this.
  6. graveleye

graveleye Senior Member

I posted this right before I left work and regretted it the whole way home.:D
    Oh no what have I done...again? Lol

OK I’ve used deeply and tentatively. I actually like tentatively.:rolleyes:

Oh and Hooligan, yes I do focus more on the emotional in the scenes, the few I have, than the physical. But I still feel I need to describe the kiss to set the emotional mood. On the other hand maybe I don’t, but it feels right in my writing style and voice to set the emotional stage, briefly at least.

Shenanigator likes this.