1. jim onion

jim onion New Member

Question About Getting an Essay Published

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by jim onion, Jan 3, 2021.

Pretty straightforward. The essay in question is here on our forums: https://www.writingforums.org/threads/a-problem-solution-essay-on-depression-and-suicide-6000-words.165616/

Along with my professor, I've received many comments from fellow forumers, and more private messages, sharing their own experiences and thanking me for writing the essay. I'd like to find a place for the essay where it'd be more appreciated so that conversation may flourish.

YouTube has crossed my mind as an option, as I want to start making video essays, and the comments section can be conducive to surprisingly good conversation. But first I was hoping that some of you may be able to lend suggestions for publications that might be interested in a piece like this? Publishing always seemed like a bit of a nightmare in terms of first trying to find an appropriate publication to submit to, and then a publication that accepts pieces that are ~6000 words in length... I wouldn't even know where or how to begin the search. And then if you do manage to find a publication where it could fit, you've gotta' sell it to 'em. Never done any of that before.

I suppose I'd also be open to suggestions for other forums. However, please send me such recommendations in a private message, so that we are not advertising other forums on here.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
  2. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

As your professor about academic journals on that subject matter.

As a lit major, the academic journals were geared toward literary criticism and analysis.
    When i took psychology and Art Therapy, those academic journals were geared more to those subjects (psychology was childhood development psychology and therapy). I'm not much help for mental health journals.

perhaps the Journal of Mental Health
    It would also be helpful to have your professor's help on it as well. As you are a student working toward a degree, a bigger named and degreed person backing your work may benefit you?

Psychology Today is open for blog proposals via submittable

if you are looking to broaden your scope, there are other blog places. The Odyssey, for example. That was big in my college community. a lot of people i knew got their articles published in the Odyssey.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
    jim onion likes this.
  3. jim onion

jim onion New Member

Thank-you for these great suggestions Woody, I will have a look at them! Unfortunately I do not think that professor is still at my university, as they were quite a young professor and so tend to be first on the chopping block when it comes to budget cuts. But I'll try to find a way to get in contact with him.