1. Islander

Islander Contributor Contributor

Korean names

Discussion in 'Research' started by Islander, Nov 6, 2010.

Hi,

I've tried to create a name for my Korean character, and would like to know if I've understood the Korean naming system.

As I understand it, a Korean name consists of a given name and a clan name. For example, South Korea's president is named Lee Myung-Bak. Lee is the given name, and Myung-Bak is the clan name.

The clan name consists of two parts: the clan's own name, and the city they came from, to distinguish them from other clans with the same name.
    So Myung-Bak is the Bak clan from the city Myung.

Using these rules, I've created this name for a Korean woman: Haneul Suwon-Jun.

If anyone could tell me if I got it right, and if the name sounds natural, I would be grateful.

2. Annûniel

Annûniel Contributor Contributor

Hmm. Well I am not Korean myself but there are a lot of Korean-Americans where I live and I've never seen evidence of said rule... Maybe its slightly more archaic? Or not for most common people?

Even looking through my high school yearbook I can't find any evidence of joint surnames like you've listed. The most I've seen is joint first names on occasion. One of particular note is two guys in my graduating class: Hyun Kang and Hyun-Woo Kang. >.>'

3. junior

junior New Member

Hi Islander,
    I'm happy because you ask me. But I'm so sorry, I can't help you right now. Because I'm Vietnamese not Korean.
    Then. In the next monday, I have class with my friends - all of them come from Korea. I'll ask them for you and have an answer in the nearly time.
    I hope you have a great day.
    Junior.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

koreans who relocate to the west often simplify their names and/or reverse them, to fit in... but if you google for 'famous koreans' you'll find the norm is the triple name, with the the dual 'first' name coming second...

5. Ellipse

Ellipse Contributor Contributor

My friend was born in Korean. Her maiden name was Kim. And Kim is the Korean equivalent of Smith because there are a lot of Kims over there.

6. Islander

Thanks for your comments :)

7. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

kim and park are the korean smith and jones...

8. junior

junior New Member

Hi Islander,

Yesterday, when I came my ESL class, I asked my friend for you, she said that this name is right and sounds natural, it is common name in her country :). She asked me about your story and she had many curious about your story :)

Btw, have a great day :)

9. Islander

Thanks, Junior!

It's a story about a Korean who studies magic at an international school in Asia.