1. John-Wayne

John-Wayne Madman with a pen in hand

KristolOfAncea_PJ_Rev1

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by John-Wayne, Dec 28, 2017.

Hey, admittedly, I sort of fudged up my original progress journal (Please don't look), so I thought I would start with a fresh start with this one, and will do my best to make Zero Edits, unless necessary and point out said edit. Such as updating A day's progress. ... Anyways. (Thankfully I have a physical journal with all the same entries, so restoring it will be easy)

First I thought I would start with a summary of Kristol of Ancea. Basically it tells the rise of the Avetarian Empire, and Kristol's reluctant accession to Empress. (I'm not very good at sumaries, :p )

Anyways, next post will have the to date entries.

2. John-Wayne

Nov. 28 - Began Work on Kristol of Ancea, writing Scene 1 of Chapter 1.
    Nov. 29 - Worked on 1.1
    Nov. 30 - Started using a spiral note book to work on Ancea, using good old fashion Pen and Paper. Reworked 1.1 without looking at the Original work.
    Dec.1 - Started work on 1.2.; Also worked on a poem that is suppose to be written by King Constantine, the Ancestor of Kristol.
    Dec. 2 - worked on Constantine Lore and poems, also Constantine's Quest. Oh and a Sonnet (The Poem and Sonnet are in the Poem Section of the forums)
    Dec. 3 - Expanded Constantine's quest, and the various treasures and their meanings that Kristol is to discover (don't worry, we come into the story when she has found the 2nd to last one, and the last one is covered in chapter 2) (There is more detail but i'm a bit tired to write it all, :p )
    Dec. 4 - Decided to work in a cameo by another MC from another story, thought it might be neat plus set up some character for both MCs, Kristol and Samuel.
    Dec. 5 to 19 - hit a big dry spell here and had zero interest in writing, there were many causes to it,
    Dec 20 - I wasn't sure how to end 1.2, so I moved on, I completed 1.3 and hit a bit of a snag with 1.4 , I wasn't sure how to write a certain scene, I want to introduce an important character in Kristol's life, but was unsure how to write the scene or Justify it.
    Dec. 27 - Wasn't sure how to write 1.4 so I skipped it and wrote 1.5 and 1.6, thankfully 1.6 is the end of the first chapter.

3. John-Wayne

Dec. 29 - Progress is nada right now, mostly because of work, yesterday was a hard shift for me, not because of the full 8 hour shift, but for some reason the 11a - 8p shift does something to me mentally. And today, was a semi-Short shift, 5.5 hours. So not as bad, but wanted to really play Breath of the Wild over writing. :p . But that doesn't mean i'm not thinking of my book and what and how to right.

For instance, my biggest concern right now is to avoid making Kristol seem like a Mary Sue, which i'm assuming i'm doing a good job at. But still, need to be careful. She has a scene where she plays a strategy game with her aunt, and then another scene where she duels her father, in both instances she does lose, since her aunt Vittoria is an accomplished Strategist in her own right and her father taught her how to fight, so naturally he would be better skilled. The only thing that may help Kristol hold her own in a strategy game against her aunt is that she is personally taught by the Duke-General of the Royal Army, the same man who trained Kristol's father. Though Vittoria was taught by her father, (Kristol's grandfather) who was taught by the Duke-General's father, (The Grandfather (deceased) is blood brothers (not related) to the Duke General, who basically raised Kristol's father after the Grandfather's death in battle) .

I mention this because, Kristol is suppose to be naturally inventive and somewhat strategic in her own right, even a bit reckless. For instance, she designed a suit of armor for herself which is a mix of Steel, Leather and chain. She also semi-Helps in the invention of a few other tools, but mostly in joking. So she actually inspires the Palace Smithy in that case I suppose. :p. I do give her an air of outward arrogance which most call her on.

Edit: My edits are purely to correct some word mistakes.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  4. John-Wayne

Info dump time,

I had a long work week which pretty much took everything out of me, so I mostly found myself mindlessly playing BotW. :p , though I have worked slightly on the story. Anyways.

Jan 4th - finished the 8 day week. :p
    Jan 5th - Played BotW and took it extremely easy in an attempt to recover my strength and mental sanity quicker. :p .
    Jan 7th - Finished Chapter 1 and began work on Chapter 2
    Jan 8th - My goals for Chapter 2, Samuel's cameo, the Last statuette of King Constantine's Quest, Kristol's Father's birthday.
    Jan 9th-15th - slow progress (as in almost none, and lots of BotW)
    Jan 16th, - forced myself to get focused on Kristol, after playing some BotW. :p

5. John-Wayne

Jan 17th to Feb 5th.... very, very slow progress, and a whole lot of gaming. :p (Zelda: BotW & Minecraft) and also work (though not bad, writing was more in my head then on paper. :p .

Feb 6th - finished 2.2 and 2.3 and began chapter three. Finished 3.1 & 3.2 and began 3.3. Also wrote the rough for Ballad of Iatiten, and created the concept for King Constatine's great sword, plus finished his Quest.

Feb. 7th - work, and gaming. Not to much writing today.

6. John-Wayne

Yeah, made some serious progress in the last few days... I tell you what. :p

Jan 8th - established the goals of of Chapter 2, which are dictated in my physical Journa. Samuel's Cameo, Completion of Constantine's quest and King Iatiten's birthday.
    Jan 16th - Finished 2.1 and began 2.2

Feb 6th - Finished 2.2 and 2.3. Established the lore behind Constantine's Great Sword, which is again dictated in my Physical Journal and gives a brief history of the sword. Wrote the Ballad of King Iatiten, which was written by Tenius in honor of his king's birthday. Began Chapter 3 and finished 3.1 and 3.2, began 3.3

Feb 7th - Completed chapter 3 which had six total scenes, and began chapter 4. wrote scences 1 - 4, and began 5.

Feb 8th - Work... and Laziness. :p .

Feb 9th - Finished S5 and Chapter four. Began chapter 5 and finished the 1st scene, began scene 2.

Feb 10th - Finished S2 (Technically, there is a bit more I wish to add)

Feb 11th - Worked on S.3, did some expanding on concepts and lores.

Feb 12 Worked more on Nightmare concept and the Legend of Brandolis, giving a brief history and outcome in regards to this book (it will possibly be a scene, where Kristol reads, aka flashback through reading)

Now for a few things, I like the idea of the Nightmare sequences Kristol has but I fear it becoming an FU to readers, as it has the potential of setting up an upcoming showdown between Kristol and Bradolis which doesn't come. So I am going to make sure it shows Kristol that there is more to Brandolis, even though he is trying to kill her in each sequence.

Second, even though it is my own created world, I have to wonder how believable it is that a King would deliberately sabotage his local lords in order to for-fill what he sees as prophecy. Granted there is no Prophecy, just in his head there is one, and in a sense makes it happen. I feared Kristol becoming a Chosen one Trope, so I basically made her father the "Chosen One" and she's just herself. Though again, there is no real chosen one either.

Third, I need to write more ballads and poems, :p . irregardless of how bad they are. :p

7. John-Wayne

So I finally got to where I wanted to be in the book, yeah. The Setup which wasn't bad is over, time for some action. Yup.

So the setup.... now, I previously mentioned that I was worried about Kristol becoming a Mary Sue, but that has all been put to rest for me. :p . Basically, when I got up to this scene, I was ready.. I was ready to go in, Kristol was about to have her moment. she was going to challenge an enemy general and kill him in one hit as revenge for her father. And I justified the hell out of it, despite her lack of actually combat experience. Yes, she was trained by the best, Her father taught her to fight, the Duke General and her own aunt taught her how to be a strategies. But she has never had actually combat experience to implement any of it.

So I did what needed to be done, I created a new General, he's a Mercenary (Sword for Hire) so that basically gives me some flexibility with him, and Kristol charges at him and get's her ass kicked, in one swing of his spear he knocks her from her horse, while taunting her. When she tries to go at him again, he once again defeats her and makes her submit along with humiliating her. Kristol has learned a harsh lesson, War is hell. Now, she will train and be better prepared, controlling her temper and impulses. (or at least the best she can :p )

8. John-Wayne

So, making some good progress in the story, I've been skipping some stuff such as actual battle scenes (which is funny for a book centered around war), for one I want to give proper attention to the actual battles in the revision plus it requires a bit of research to do them properly. :p , or at least entertainingly. For the most part i'm focusing on the main focus of the story which is Kristol, her development and rise to become who she will be. I had her get training from a skilled Warrior, though I skipped the training part (again, takes time to write properly, research, etc. which will be handled in the revision). She does fight a lesser general (of sorts) and right now she is about to have a rematch with the Mercenary Tyrius. For the most part i'm deciding between him wining or them tying, but I have a feeling we are a bit far from her beating him, still. So that will be handled in the next part of the book, which is the War with a nation called Chalice, after the Slave Incident.

Also, a few things I need to revive, Original Kristol was suppose to be pregnant by now, but due to her rivalry with Tyrius, I delayed her pregnancy, which will take away some of the drama from the original concept of the scenes , she will become pregnant before the end of the War with granite, but by the time it's discovered it won't matter. Also she'll be back home before giving birth anyways. Though i'll try to cheat and keep some of it. :p .

I am also coming up to some good parts, i'm hoping it'll be interesting for readers, the book slows down for a bit, and we learn about Brandolis, and King Rhynovir's convoluted scheme.

Dracon likes this.
  9. John-Wayne

Well, finally wrote the scene and had round 2 of Kristol Vs. Tyrius Duel, I felt it went pretty well and when it was over, I felt it was natural to have Tyrius Win one more time. Naturally there was some taunting going on between the two of them. Tyrius is also beginning to gain some respect for Kristol, not to much though.

10. John-Wayne

Alright, here we go:

Feb 16 - Finished Chapter 5 and began Chapter 6.
    Feb 23 - Finished 6.2 and began 6.3
    Feb 24 - Work

My new quote:
    "Forgive me for not providing a proper honeymoon for you, my Love," said Max.
    "It's alright, my Love. I often enjoy a candle lit dinner by a battlefield. I can relive our victory as I dine," said Kristol with a soft, amused giggle.

Edit: revised? Torch Lit dinner.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  11. John-Wayne

Feb 26 - Finished Chapter 6 and Started Ch. 7,
    Feb 27 - Finished 7.1 and began 7.2,

I am in an odd phase of the book since Chapters 7 is a wined down chapter for the first part of the book, where King Eres reveals his convoluted plans, We Learn about Brandolis and Kristol has her baby. Chapter 8 is the beginning of the second part which leaps about Five Years, where we deal with war from another country and the official foundation of the Empire.

12. John-Wayne

So making some decent progress, slow and steady. Even though it's a Beta-Rough, I got to be articulate enough. I mean, I could fall over dead and someone would have to carry the torch and finish my work. :p . So they'll have to understand where I was going. Anyways....

So as I said, I am in a weird slow down section of Part I of the book, where we learn of King Eres' convoluted plot (which is finished), learned about Bryndolis (Finished), coming up I still have the return home and the confrontation between Kristol's Father and Bryndolis. which should wrap up Part I of Kristol of Ancea. Even though I have notes and previous writings, I am going to soon be in dark waters... Finally. :p . Creative gears keep on Spining, how can I sleep when the thoughts keep burning.

I also worked on some of the Lore, Character Development for some secondary characters, mostly Kristol's Maidens... Raaaahhh... Oh sorry. I'm half asleep as I type this... :p . But it's almost bed time.

13. John-Wayne

Well, made some great progress, since the last time i posted I have finished Chapter 7 and 8, thus concluding Part I of the book. It was quite a journey. :p . Funny enough I had thought I was finished sooner with Part I but realized I missed a part which made two more scenes in chapter 8. Two solid days of writing and thinking helped wrapped it all up though and now Part II Chapter 9. Time to take on the Chalicians. Yeah.

There is a Five year gap between the end of Part I and the Start of Part II, I do not believe there will be a gap between II & III however, but i'll see when I get there. :p .

14. John-Wayne

Been Making some pretty good progress in Part II, i'm finally up to the point I basically wrote up to before, but it's even better than before. :) .

Also on a side note, while going through my old notebooks, I found the Original Composition book for Kristol, and i'm happy to see that it still stays the course of the original though better written, for my abilities that is. Still working on writing for the REader. :p .

15. John-Wayne

Progress is going pretty good, thanks to my lack of interest in playing video games. mainly Breath of the Wild or Minecraft. :p . though i'm sure it will come back later. Anyways, i'm pretty much at the end of Part II with the finishing up the Chalician war. And Part III i'm pretty excited to get into... The Rise of the Empire!!!! I know how it comes about just hope it's convening for others. either way I'm having a pretty good time.

I am also starting to realize that each part serves as it's own short story for the Whole of the book, with each Part having it's own main Antagonists though there is an actual main antagonist and one part doesn't have a true antagonist per say. I am also deciding to skip one part because I feel it won't be interesting and will just be a series of reports Kristol receives from commanders in that conflict.

Also speaking of Progress Journals, i've really been enjoying my Physical one as it allows me to write Lore as I go, and everything new including new Characters, concepts, etc. can get a quick Bio in the Journal. I've written a lot of stuff that won't even be in the story and some of it is for the future of the world.

16. John-Wayne

Trying to kill some time before cutting my hair and showering... so thought I would make a small list of the topics I worked on in my Physical Journal... just titles, i'm not going into details.

1. Constantine's Poem
    2. Sonnet of Prince Marcavii
    3. King Constantine's Great Sword
    4. Statuette List
    5. Ballad of King Ian
    6. Kristol's Dream
    7. Legend of Bryndolis
    8. Tyrius
    9. Kristol's Maidens
    10. Prince Christian
    11. The Shadow People (Placeholder title)
    12. The Next Generation
    13. General (name) and Queen (name) (Place Holders)
    14. Rise of the Empire
    15. Princess Nina
    16. The Ancient Ones (Place holder Title)
    17. The First Legion

And that's it for now, I didn't realize how many topics I covered. some are a page others are a few pages. going into bios, list of names, full story blurs, etc.

17. John-Wayne

Well.... Well... it has finally come... Rise of the Empire, :) . From this point onward my dear Kristol will be an Empress. Chapter 11 is one of thee most important and most boring chapters I will have to write in this story. Now, I know i'll personally enjoy it but readers might take a nap. :p .

Edit: I forgot to mention....

I am also working on the background with Tyrius, who is Kristol's rival apparently. :p . I have decided to make him one of the hunters at the beginning of the book, or I should say Mercenaries now. I will not revise it now since it's not necessary. But i'll note it in my Progress Journal and rework it in the revision 1.1 . But i'm still a bit away from the revision, the rest of the book itself should move a bit quicker after Chapter 11 I want to say... but we'll see.

Also, since I am using more of my Lore, I want to make sure to prepare my readers for what is coming. I have the one scene to get into Chalityc Palace, and I have been using more Modern corporation names like Chalityc or Chalicia Tech and Granicorp or Granite Corporation.

As for the Tirvuk, the lore is that most of that area was forest and wilds before the disaster that destroyed the Ancients society, which is again lore and backstory so I won't be going to much into it except when necessary.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
  18. John-Wayne

It's difficult keeping This Journal up-to-date since I have a physical Journal.

So I made excellent progress, I'm currently on my third spiral notebook, 70 pages or a hundred forty sides/ notebook. The end is almost in sight perhaps one or two more parts to, also an actual plot for the characters to work towards has emerged!

I'm very pleased with the progress, considering I'm further along than I expected to be. Hopefully I'll be doing the revision before too long!

19. John-Wayne

May 11, 2018 - Well, it's done... I inadvertently found a natural ending for the Book which encompasses the beginning and the end, I could go furthur but I feel it isn't necessary. I will do an epilogue to wrap things up. But for the most part the Rough draft is finished. The rest can be handled in Lore, backstory, or just being retold by future people.

62,400 words.

I know there is some scenes missing and of course in the revision i'll always add some more meat, details. Etc. I also feel there is something else I forgot that i'll figure out once I start the revision.

It's an odd feeling to be done so quickly, it's nice as well. I look forward to starting the Revision on Monday.

Once i'm finished with this book, I know the exact next project to move on to.. I also have a third book I could do... and of course my Back Burner WIP which is my main book.

Dracon and Dragon Turtle like this.
  20. Dragon Turtle

Dragon Turtle Senior Member

Congrats on finishing the draft!

John-Wayne likes this.
  21. John-Wayne

Thanks, :) . It was quite a ride, where I decided to end the Draft felt like a natural stop since it mirrors the first scene of the book. :p . However I do have an Epilogue and there is an important scene that may have to be written. but i'll leave most of that for the revision.

right now i'm trying to figure out the span of time that passed between Chapter 1 Scene 1 and the end of the book. Chapter 17 Scene 8. I tried to give it a fair amount of time for things to happen and of course a few time jumps so I have it around a span of 12 years from beginning to end. with my MC starting at 13 and being 25 when the story ends.

Dragon Turtle likes this.
  22. John-Wayne

Alright, Day 1 of revision, 5/14. I managed to finished the first scene. 2,452 words

23. John-Wayne

Well, for some reason I just couldn't focus properly today, for some dumb reason my mind wanted to play fucking GTA V and I let it, and my mind has operated like shit for it. I now have to stay up later then I want because I forgot for an hour that I had laundry to change, and I have work tomorrow, thankfully it's only 5 hours and If I can go to bed ontime, I should be able to get six hours of sleep, which is plenty for now.

anyways, at this moment the word count is: 3,591 . so I didn't get to horrible far, still working on 1.2, I may try to push myself to finish, though my brain is pretty numb.

zoupskim and Dragon Turtle like this.
  24. zoupskim

zoupskim Contributor Contributor

NO!

Nonono no! No NO NO!

I KNOW, brah! I know that ITCH. I've had Assassin's Creed Origins sitting on my TV shelf for four months, and a whole row of books I need to read about stuff, BUT NO! Because like Cormac McCarthy said: War Writing is God.

It makes no difference what men think of war writing, said the judge zoupskim. War Writing endures. As well ask men what they think of stone. War Writing was always here. Before man was, war writing waited for him. The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner. That is the way it was and will be. That way and not some other way.

Quote By Cormac McCarthy (sort of, but not really)

Games are stupid-- I love them so much I want to marry one and make my own little games-- STUPID! Grind your fist into the brain-case and come up with a creative name or turn of phrase.

John-Wayne likes this.
  25. John-Wayne

I know, I know, :p