Lack of physical description

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by deadrats, Sep 29, 2016.

1. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Oh, nothing sinister. Just a statement about the meaninglessness of individuality in the human condition. Hey!

2. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

Wasn't he supposed to be like 6' tall and really beefy in the books? I haven't read them, but I remember the complaining online!

3. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

The casting of jack reacher was due to teeny tom buying the film rights and owning the production company

In the books Jack is 6.4" with a 50 inch chest and sandly blonde hair ... if you watch the films its best to not regard it as anything to do with the lee child books, just imagine them as mission impossible 8 or something

Tenderiser and Cave Troll like this.
  4. Tenderiser

So he basically charged movie goers to watch him live out his fantasy? Kinda weird. But I'm jealous. :D

Spencer1990 likes this.
  5. Spencer1990

Spencer1990 Contributor Contributor

I'm also weirdly jealous of that fact. It's the ultimate indulgence.

Maybe I should look into Scientology...

TheWriteWitch and Tenderiser like this.
  6. Tenderiser

I'd cast myself as Ana from 50 Shades so I could turn it into a Women's Aid advert.

izzybot, jannert and Cave Troll like this.
  7. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Not only is he huge, but in the specific book they chose to make a movie of, the fact that Reacher is huge is actually a significant plot point...

8. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

we can't blame Lee Child when its rumoured that he paid $200k per book (and apparently that was for all 12)

If teeny Tom wanted to offer me that kind of money forthe film rights for 'after the wave' , i'd consider the fact that hes completely wrong for "blade", then I'd consider my artistic integrity and principles ....... then i'd take the money.

9. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

As @big soft moose said, he's even bigger than that. And his size plays significantly into many of the books, particularly the one the filmed in which, as I noted above, Reacher's sheer size and strength is an important plot point :)

10. xanadu

xanadu Contributor Contributor

Late to the party, but I'll add that I agree with much of what @jannert and @Commandante Lemming have said--I use description as a function of which character is narrating the scene. What does that character notice? What does she not notice? Why does she notice what she notices? I tend away from authorial intrusion as much as possible and have the POV character tell the story, so only what that character sees goes on the page. That way I'm developing my character as well as giving description.

I also read much the same way as @Steerpike, in that I get a mental image almost immediately and will only modify it with significant (read: plot-relevant) details.

TheWriteWitch likes this.
  11. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    This is in response to the OP, not Tiny Tom and his fantasy LARP of his favorite characters in fiction. :p

I do my best to get the important things down about my characters physical features. Though I still cannot
    tell you what Marckus's face looks like cause he is always wearing a gas-mask to keep people from staring
    at his hairless (even the eyebrows are gone) severely burned features. There are some things I had to get
    a little more detailed on considering there is a vast amount of diverse life in the Universe, but that is in
    and of itself a necessary evil. As for setting details, I try to limit the amount of wasted time on such things,
    considering there are far better things to be had. Also I am not going to describe every last inch of a massive
    alien warship in fine detail, as it would take volumes to do so. It is what the imagination is for, to fill in the
    minor details on your own. Now when it comes down to combat and the more visceral, sure lets dive into
    the soup of broken bones, bodily fluids, and the like head first. Only the important things will do, in the way
    of descriptions. I too have gotten the 'there is not enough detail' thing once or twice. Well to that I say imagine
    a highly advanced hell and you are halfway to imagining the universe that lies within the story. :D

12. big soft moose

you did say the reader should use their imagination ;)

Cave Troll likes this.
  13. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    I think the closest to Kinky that he has gotten is in the second book, when he makes a mercenary leader sit on a live
    grenade. To be fair he wasn't thinking to clearly having taken a bullet in the lung and kinda on the downward spiral.
    To bad she doesn't die from this comical set up on a slowly dying mans sense of taking a prisoner. :p

14. Dnaiel

Dnaiel Senior Member

I treat a description like a character. Most of my characters have very little detail, but just enough to settle in the reader's mind and distinguish the character from others. It also is orchestrated to be a part of the scene, to have a purpose, to be a part of the flow of the tale. Thus, sometimes there are exceptions. I have two characters I totally decked out in absurd deformation, clothing, and props and described in intense detail, but in only a couple paragraphs to respect the pace. It was important for these two because it's relevant to the scene and who they are. Later, I have assassins who have almost no description. I approached it this way to make them blend in more with the background. To distinguish them, I turned to their thoughts.