1. Lady Marmalade

Lady Marmalade Member

Lady Marmalade's Progress Journal

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by Lady Marmalade, Aug 10, 2018 at 10:44 PM.

Progress Journal comin' atcha!

Hello I'm Lady Marmalade, I've never done one of these but I think they'd be a good motivator for writing. It couldn't hurt to try at least.

I'm planning on writing a YA urban fantasy trilogy, something that I would've liked to read when I was a bright eyed teenager.

I've done a fair bit of world building before writing the plot outline to the first book. By world building I mean race building... I built a race of wizards. They're a sub-species of human and they're quite different from the typical wizard you see in fantasy.

I wrote the plot outline to the first book and I wrote the epilogue for fun. It's four pages and it sets up the second book. I don't have a clear outline for the second book yet but I know the basic direction it's going in.

I'm going to write the first draft backwards for a change. The second draft I'll write forwards and the third I'll write backwards again.

Next I have to write about the young heroine winning the final battle... sweet.

Dragon Turtle likes this.
  2. Lady Marmalade

Lady Marmalade Member

Sooo everyone ended up being covered in blood... that's how that went.

Dragon Turtle likes this.
  3. Lady Marmalade

Lady Marmalade Member

I did some thinking and I'm going to make this a YA urban fantasy genre deconstruction. Specifically focusing on the popular tropes of the love triangle and the sexy magical bad boy, as well as the masquerade of the supernatural stuff going on.

What I've found in my research for tropes/cliches to avoid is that there is an outcry of people who detest love triangles in YA fiction. Personally I think it depends on the execution of the trope but I can definitely see in recent years it's been done to death. Now there are multiple ways I could deconstruct a love triangle since this does happen IRL. I'm thinking I'll air on the comedic result for this trope since I want to avoid drama being rooted in the love triangle. I believe the grief most readers have with the trope altogether is that it is the source of drama in the story.

Second is the sexy magical bad boy and this I have a major bone to pick with. I already planned to bash this trope into the ground in the most horrific and dramatic way possible because this archetype absolutely disgusts me. I was doing this subconsciously mind you, but now that I've decided that I'm doing a genre deconstruction I'll add to my original plans tenfold.

The Masquerade is what is in almost all YA urban fantasy, romantic or not, where there is a secret society of magical or supernatural beings hiding from humans. What people dislike about this trope is the flimsy or non existent reason of why there is a masquerade in the first place when the society can just take over the world. Seeing as these beings are more powerful than humans in every way why are they in hiding? I already have a reason for the masquerade existing but... now I'm thinking to play with the trope and look into it's horrific implications with a dose of reality.

Those were the main three grievances people had with YA urban fantasy, other than "The female MC is weak/dumb" but I have no interest in deconstructing that. I'd rather just write a good female protagonist to subvert the trope entirely.