Lake District Shootings...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Halcyon, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I never liked the idea that you have to have a mental disorder to kill: but I'm a Jungian, and a big Darwinian. The way I see it, Human civilisation is a wonderful, but unnatural idea - and we have evolved to fight for our survival in the wild over the billions of years life has been on the earth.

2. Lavarian

Lavarian Contributor Contributor

I’m not sure this is something we could ever really know, but I think that he very well could have been in a position to make decisions and moral choices, as evidenced by your second statement where he (possibly) chose to kill a cyclist instead of a mother and children.

“Maybe” indeed.

It’s not difficult to imagine being scared or incredibly angry, but no matter your emotions- if you’re aware of what you’re doing, you always have a choice in the matter.

3. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

Well, there's a lot to think about here. An interesting debate, folks. RIP to the victims, and compassion to his family, not least his sons.

4. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

I'm just amazed that no posts have been deleted or edited by anyone other that the person who wrote them.

5. Mantha Hendrix

Mantha Hendrix New Member

Northern Ireland... the place I've taken for grant
    Insanity does not necessarily mean a loss of rational thought, or that his victims would not be pre-determined.

6. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

But we don't know what was in his head, if he was being rational or not. Stop assuming you know what he was thinking. Nobody does.

7. Mantha Hendrix

I'm not saying I do, but others are, and being violently forceful about it...

8. Lemex

I don't see why. Many of the posts on this thread have been impassioned yet respectful and pretty mature. And you are always going to get passion in a debate such as this.

I don't see the anger that some posters have been talking about.

9. Mantha Hendrix

Read through the thread again. Now as you read see if the voice in your head is shouting...

But yeah, good point.

10. Lemex

I did, that's why I left that comment.

And no, there was not even a raised voice 'in my head' - but I'm not the emotional sort.

11. Evil Flamingo

Evil Flamingo Banned Contributor

There is some anger, yes, but how do emotions stay at a minimal level when talking about a massacre? Deleting posts sounds like an excellent way to piss people off and cause an explosion in here or in other threads.

But that is aside from the point of this thread anyways...

I did not know of this tragedy until I read this thread. I've known people who've had family members murdered. A good friend of mine lost both of her parents when she was in middle school. The effects of those events stay with those people, sometimes never leaving them. I pray for the victims' families and for the victims themselves. And I'll admit, a happening such as this makes me incredibly angry and sad simultaneously, and you cannot expect me to pray for the aggressor. May the victims rest in peace.

12. Lemex

This is true, but we are talking about two different forms of anger, I was talking about anger from forum members directed at other forum members, where as, you seem to mean an anger about the event. :)

13. Evil Flamingo

Evil Flamingo Banned Contributor

I suppose. But I guess both types of anger are completely relevant. I'm more interested at the matter at hand rather than petty disagreements over who placed the better argument here on his mindset. The fact is, we'll never know.

Okay, game over, you all lose, so get on with your lives. This is not the place for that argument anyways.

Wow, I must be cranky today...=D

1 person likes this.
  14. yellowm&M

yellowm&M Contributor Contributor

First off I want to express my sympathies and condolences to everyone involved in this horrible horrible event. It's just awful that people have to suffer through something like this.

And secondly, some of you have already pointed this out, but as an outside observer whose been following the thread but not posting I've noticed that most of you are all basically saying the same thing just with a little bit of personal spin. And in general most people have seemed level headed about the debate which had been interesting. However, by now you're basically all agreeing without realizing it and therefore repeating alot. Just saying :)

It has been an interesting debate though.

1 person likes this.