Laurin Kelly's Progress Journal

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by Laurin Kelly, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Laurin Kelly

Laurin Kelly Contributor Contributor

Still pushing through - finished chapter 2 and am up to 6456 words before turning in for the night. Every word is progress and I'm finding fulfillment in that.

Sark1986, TWErvin2, Stormburn and 2 others like this.
  2. Laurin Kelly

8230 words!

3. Laurin Kelly

Still making painfully slow progress but slogging along.

In other news, I have sold more copies of Under the Knife in the last 7 days than I have in the past 6 months and while I am thrilled I am also very confused. I can't find any recent Goodreads or Amazon reviews that may have spurred this (Romance is a very word-of-mouth genre) and I'm still doing zero paid advertising. I know that it's Pride month, but I would think that would affect more than just the one book - up until now Gravity was far outselling UTK but there's no corresponding spike there. It's weird - happy weird, but weird. :D

4. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

A couple of weeks back I recommended UTK to a bunch of people in a facebook group as an example of how a story about gay romance can can have a cross over appeal beyond the genre if its well written... I but i doubt that could have driven your spike (you might have got one or two sales out of it)... a more likely cause is something in the amazon algo.. it may have started flagging UTK as a 'book you might also enjoy based on your browsing history' linking to a much bigger romance author, or something like that'

No one really fully understands how the algo works (any guru who says they do is lying) but it does have little quirks from time to time which can drive seemingly random spikes.

Stormburn and Lifeline like this.
  5. Laurin Kelly

Holy cow - thank you! What a lovely thing to do, and I appreciate it so much. :friend:

I also got a response from someone I follow on Tumblr who said she recently saw it recommended in a Twitter thread along the lines of "enemies to lovers but make it gay". So maybe it's the combination of those two things together (I can't find the tweet to see how active the thread was), or like you say, Amazon putting me out there somehow without me knowing or paying them.

The only time I've ever seen a spike like this is when running a $0.99 promotion, so I'm thrilled to see it when my royalties are at a much better rate!

Stormburn likes this.
  6. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

I only do it because its true...I'm not gay or a reader of gay romance but I enjoyed UTK.. (Ive got the other two downloaded but I've not yet read them),

That aside it can be all sorts of weird things... like people being driven to search for the Susan Steinberg film for some reason, or another book of the same name, or searching for Lauren Kelly the actress and getting your page by mistake... i know a thriller writer who's got a self pubbed book called Fire and Fury... he did very well back in 2018 while all the controversy about the better known book with the same name was going on,

Stormburn, Lifeline and Laurin Kelly like this.
  7. marshipan

marshipan Contributor Contributor

Can't discount TikTok these days either and finding your book recommended in the thousands of videos is not an easy task so sometimes you just never know.

Laurin Kelly likes this.
  8. Laurin Kelly

Well...it's been a while. I wish I had some amazing news about my progress on the Gravity sequel, but I've stalled out at just under 10K, unfortunately.

Having turned 50 back in February, last month I had my first routine colonoscopy. I have been feeling mighty fine, even ran a couple of 5Ks this summer now that events are starting to happen again. Unfortunately the results were not very good despite my assumed good health - I have colon cancer, and next week on 9/15 I'm going to be having about a third of my colon removed. Once that happens they will stage the cancer and from there I'll find out if I need further treatment (chemo or radiation) or if they just want to keep an eye on it going forward.

If you are 50 or over, get your colon checked out, kids. Had I put it off even a couple of years or waited for symptoms, my doctor said I would have been in a world of trouble.

I will have 2.5 weeks off of work taking it easy, so if I feel up to it I'd like to try making some progress on my manuscript. Fingers crossed!

marshipan, Homer Potvin and Stormburn like this.
  9. Stormburn

Stormburn Contributor Contributor

You are so in my prayers, you and your family. Godspeed.

Laurin Kelly likes this.
  10. Laurin Kelly

Thank you - it is very much appreciated! :friend:

11. Laurin Kelly

Here I am, one week on the other side of surgery - alive and happy to report that my post-surgery lymph node biopsies are all negative for cancer. I have an appointment with an oncologist for staging and to plan a future course of action, but these results means my prognosis is very, very good. Recovery from the surgery is going well and I'm getting a ton of rest and help from loved ones.

I did manage to get unstuck on the Gravity sequel thanks to some help from Ted Lasso, and an idea from out of the blue to drive the story beyond just "these two side characters from Book 1 get together in Book 2". I've decided to take a more lighthearted approach to the romance this time, acknowledging the issues established in Gravity, but maybe not dwelling on the darkness of them quite as much. It's honestly a new way of approaching the story and well, it seems to be working better than anything else has in a few months at least.

12. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

Very good news to hear on your health front.
    Glad you found a new route to progress in your writing.

Laurin Kelly likes this.
  13. Laurin Kelly

I finally made it past the 10K mark - now that I've gone back to work I'm slowing down, but hopefully after I get a couple of weeks under my belt I can get back into the swing of things.

Good news is that my oncologist told me my cancer is stage 1A, which is basically the least amount of cancer you can possibly have while still being considered a cancer survivor. So no chemo or further treatment for me, just yearly bloodwork, imaging and colonoscopies to make sure it doesn't come back. :cheerleader: