1. Published on Amazon? If you have a book, e-book, or audiobook available on Amazon.com, we'll promote it on WritingForums.org for free. Simply add your book to our Member Publications section. Add your book here or read the full announcement.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Laurin Kelly's Progress Journal

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by Laurin Kelly, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Laurin Kelly

Laurin Kelly Contributing Member

I'm up to 5300 words now. I took the evening off to spend time with my daughter who's home from college for spring break, but plan to be back at it tomorrow.

2. Laurin Kelly

6785 words down and I’d say I’m somewhere between 2/3 and ¾ way done with my short story, tentatively titled Kneadful Things.

When handyman Adam Sutter answers an ad on Craigslist for work at a local bakery, he has no idea what he's in for. Despite the storefront's dilapidated condition and isolated location, a steady stream of customers come through hoping to find what they're looking for from Jin, the mysterious owner. The more time Adam spends on the job, the more he finds himself attracted to his new client Jin - who to Adam's surprise appears as a completely different person every day. Can an average guy like Adam find love with an otherworldly creature who deals in baked goods and… wishes?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
    Homer Potvin likes this.
  3. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man Contest Administrator Contributor

Not sure if you were inviting comments but I assume you won't mind?

Is Jin "his new client"? Because at the beginning Jin is his employer or the shop owner. It reads like his 'client' is a third, unnamed character.

I also wonder how attached you are to the name 'Jin'? It's way too on-the-nose in my opinion!

4. Laurin Kelly

Your first point is interesting - I've posted the synopsis in several places (tumblr, Twitter and my Wordpress blog) and this is the first time I've gotten feedback that the wording is confusing. I will take it under consideration before submitting.

Right now I really do like Jin even though I realize it's kind of obvious. If the story gets accepted I'll have to see if my assigned editor has a similar concern and would then definitely be open to changing it. Believe me, after my last two experiences with editing through Less Than Three Press, they certainly won't hesitate to call me out on every detail. And if it's not accepted, well...no one will be reading it anyway in that case, so it can just be my own cheesy indulgence. ;)

5. BayView

BayView Contributing Member Contributor

I was confused by the wording as well - didn't mention it because you didn't ask, but...

6. Laurin Kelly

Thank you! I will definitely tweak it before sending to LT3 then - two inndividuals whose opinions I respect is enough for me. :)

ETA: Fixed it!

7. Laurin Kelly

7600 words down and considering where I am right now, I'm pretty sure I'll hit the 10,000 word minimum without too much trouble and make the deadline as well.

I have to say I had no idea how much I would enjoy writing Jin's dialogue; every other character I've ever written has been a contemporary person who speaks informally for the most part. Jin however has a very formal, stilted way of speaking, and I'm finding it very interesting and sometimes challenging to have to translate the dialogue as it comes naturally to me into Jin's speech pattern. I think the only reason I'm not tearing my hair out is that I'm a huge Spartacus fan, and the characters on that show have a similar delivery that I feel like my brain may be referencing somewhat.

8. Laurin Kelly

So knowing that the next two weeks at works are going to be insane (huge enhancement deployment for my main customer, month end reporting, finishing up a big presentation and a three day out of town business trip), the only way I could see making sure I hit the 31st deadline was to finish the first draft of Kneadful Things this weekend, leaving only final edits and re-formatting the MS. I am very happy to say that with a toal of 11,541 words, I hit my goal and thrilled with how the story came out. :-D

All that's left is to polish, submit and cross my fingers for acceptance from LT3!

BayView likes this.
  9. Laurin Kelly

I'll be officially submitting Kneadful Things to Less Than Three tonight! Fingers crossed.

Homer Potvin, BayView and OJB like this.
  10. Laurin Kelly

Still no word from Less Than Three, though it could take up to 8 weeks to hear back - I swear to God they spoiled me by accepting UTK in just three days! Now that my work shenanigans have calmed back down to a normal level, I'm trying to decide which WIP to start back on; either Lifted Spirits which is newer but I'm only 2 chapters in, or Gravity, which is halfway finished but I got stuck on it over a year ago.

In any case, it's in the 70's and sunny today, so I'm going to procrastinate on the decision by doing some yardwork and heading out for a run.

BayView likes this.
  11. Laurin Kelly

After being derailed by a lengthy and stressful job interview process (which I did not wind up getting hired for) and having my mother-in-law in town for a week, I finally have the mental energy to focus on writing again. I'm pretty sure I'm going to try picking up where I left off with Gravity - I feel motivated to work on it for the first time in ages, but I'll have to re-read what's already done and will probably do some editing and clean up along the way. I wrote 95% of Gravity before going through a professional editing process for the first time, so I'm sure there's plenty that needs to be tweaked. Hopefully I'll fall in love with it again after so much time away.

On another note, I'm anxiously awaiting my Q1 2017 royalty statement, which should be coming any day now. The money isn't really that important to me, but I'm a stats girl and I really want to know how many books I've sold recently, if sales are starting to drop off, etc.

Last edited: May 3, 2017
    Tenderiser likes this.
  12. Laurin Kelly

My second round of edits on From Blood to Roses came back and - thank you baby Jesus and the Flying Spaghetti monster - my editor has determined that my re-write of the middle and other assorted changes have redeemed the both the book and myself. :D My response to the edits are due on May 28th, but they're mostly minor changes so it should go fairly quick. Once submitted they'll go on the schedule for galley editing, and soon after that I should have a release date.

13. Laurin Kelly

Less Than Three accepted Kneadful Things this afternoon! I'm on a roll for 2017 so far!

BayView and Homer Potvin like this.
  14. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin Active Member

Yayyy! Let's have some wine.

15. Laurin Kelly

I have a bottle of Italian Prosecco that I've been holding on to for just this kind of occasion! I'll be popping it later tonight.

16. Laurin Kelly

Through Chapter 7 edits of FBTR - I'm flying through them as expected!

17. Stormburn

Stormburn Contributing Member

I've started following your journal. Congrats on your success and thanks for posting!

Laurin Kelly likes this.
  18. Laurin Kelly

Thank you!

19. Laurin Kelly

Up to Chapter 11 edits! I'm on track to finish by the end of this week, then send to a friend for one last SPaG review before submitting my changes.

20. Laurin Kelly

FBTR edits are done - except for one minor change that required coming up with a new paragraph or so, they were a piece of cake. Sending the MS off to my friend for one last look over, then it's off to LT3. Now to spend the weekend moving furniture and ripping up carpets!

Stormburn likes this.
  21. Laurin Kelly

Got a little more than half of my writing tattoo done on Tuesday - ain't she a beaut? I have another appointment on June 16th to finish it off.

C__cFRlUMAAT7t5.jpg

Stormburn and Homer Potvin like this.
  22. Laurin Kelly

Got my SPaG edits back from my friend earlier this week and just finished making all the changes. Will be sending the 3rd draft of FBTR to my publisher presently, bringing me in a week ahead of the deadline!

BayView likes this.
  23. Stormburn

Stormburn Contributing Member

Wow. That is fantastic!

Laurin Kelly likes this.