1. EkkoJohnny

EkkoJohnny New Member

Second Edit advice?

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by EkkoJohnny, Oct 6, 2010.

Hey all,

Before I ask my question, I want to express how much I enjoy reading the interaction on this site. MOST...everyone here seems sincere and dedicated. Kudos to you.

I don't have a journalism degree or any schooling other than countless hours on the internet.

I have a book that has been out for a few years and was poorly edited. I have re-written the book. It spent over five weeks on editing- using every bit of advice and EVERY editing program I could find- and I'm wondering about a cover. Is it standard to replace the original cover for a second edit, or, is changing the format of the book acceptable? (softcover to paperback)

Your advice is greatly appreciated.

jw

2. FrankB

FrankB New Member

I presume you self-pubbed. If so, and you retained copyright, you can (probably*) do what you like. There's no standard regarding covers/2nd edits. In traditional publishing, corrections are made in subsequent printings. Covers would likely remain the same unless the book was revised (not just better edited.)

* I'm not a lawyer.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

no need for a lawyer here, if you self-published and retained all your rights to the book...

practically speaking, how many copies did you sell to non-family members/friends?

if it sold well in 5-figures, you might want to keep the original cover, since it would seem to have been working well enough... if it only sold to a few total strangers, then i'd suggest a new cover to distance this 'new and improved' model from the 'old and ignored' one...

4. EkkoJohnny

EkkoJohnny New Member

Thanks for the great advice. Unfortunately, no, I am not self published. I have a contract but - as happy as I am to have a book out - they are the ones who edited this book, leaving me holding the bag. I did not pay for the contract, but it's a company that scoops up authors to lock them down- I guess in the hopes that something may become profitable for them.

I'm asking your advice because I know the publisher will choose the cheapest route. Honestly, can't say I blame them from a business perspective.

That said; I wasn't experienced enough to catch all the glitches when the book came out, so most- if not all- of the blame probably falls back on me. I have studied and learned as much as I can, since, and just want to be proud of the book, as opposed to being proud that I HAVE a book.

Again, your advice is greatly appreciated. I believe the new cover suggestion would be the best decision for the book, being that I did not sell into the 5 figures. I have my work cut out for me. lol

Thank you both for taking the time to help me!

5. SashaMerideth

SashaMerideth New Member

As you have a contract, get a lawyer. Always in legal matters, get a lawyer.

6. FrankB

FrankB New Member

Sounds like you may have published with Publish America. If that's the case, I wouldn't spend another minute on that book if I were you. You'd only be throwing more time and money into an already-sorry situation. I'd work on a new book and try to sell it to a legit publisher. Failing that, I'd get it printed by an honest self-publisher.

If not PA, I'd like to know the name of the publisher. (Heading out to my cabin for a week or so today, though. No net access there, so I'll catch up when I get back.)

Good luck.

7. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i have to ditto both frank and sasha's posts!

do not sink a single penny into a reprint of the book till you've had your own literary attorney look over your contract...

8. SashaMerideth

SashaMerideth New Member

Yeah, see a difference between self-publish and not-self-pub. I think in both cases a lawyer is a good thing to have. Maybe not on retainer, but at least a business card and good reccomendation. Let us know how it goes, maybe write another book, and get that published going through the right channels.

9. EkkoJohnny

EkkoJohnny New Member

Well, some time later...and after everyones advice, I have killed the contract I had and gone solo. Frank B, you were on the money. As embarrassed as I am that I fell for their scam, I did. That said, it's made me try harder and work more towards
    being a better writer. I've taken some classes and researched till I'm blue in the face.

In the last year and a half, I've re-written the first book and finished the sequel. Both are due to release on Kindle and iBooks this month. Paperbacks to follow.

You guys are great for responding ad giving advice - I REALLY appreciate it.