1. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

Novel learning-project?

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by Tesoro, Dec 28, 2011.

I just realized my current WIP probably will not ever be sent to a publisher, because I lack a whole lot of knowledge about what I'm writing about and in this case researching on the internet isn't enough, there are no books about this and I probably would have to go to the US and volunteer for like 6 months (in a field that is really difficult to get into as it is) to get the necessary knowledge. I wrote this one mostly because it was a funny writing and I really love these characters, but back when I started I actually thought what I had researched would be enough. Should I:

1. Finish at least the first draft just for the sake of finishing?
    2. Abandon the whole project and concentrate on something with the potential to be publishable?
    3. Complete it to the degree where I could have sent it out if I wanted and hope I've learned something along the way?
    4. Taking the characters I've developed and put them in another story with better chances?
    5. Rewrite the story altogether and make the setting and the characters professions something I know more about?

Help, I kind of lost enthusiasm for this project but I don't want to give up on these people either... I've written 65K already so I've like 25K to go, I guess.

2. art

art Contributor Contributor

Perhaps you could say exactly what the thing you're writing about is?

A gap in knowledge might colour/ undermine an entire work of fiction. I trust this isn't the case here...but the situation you raise is a bit peculiar...

Joking but not joking: If there are literally no books on the subject; if Google is useless; if this stuff is only known about by eleven people in Ohio (or wherever), then, frankly, you can make it up/ embroider as you see fit and only eleven people in Ohio will give a toss. Which is to say: is your lack of knowledge crucial?

3. TurtleWriter

TurtleWriter Member

I agree with art.

4. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

I agree with Art as well. Don't be too quick to assume you've run into an insurmountable obstacle here, particularly are close as you are to finishing the work. If you provide more detail as to the problem, perhaps some here can help.

5. Tesoro

Art: Hahaha, OMG, that gave me some distance! :) Maybe you're right and no one will be able to check and I can make up as much as I want !! Such a liberating thought!!! :D And even though everything is not perfectly correct you might even say that in a fictitious work you'd be allowed some creative freedom (if you can use that word here)??

6. Tesoro

Steerpike and Art: it's about the entertainment industry and the people behind the 'scenes'. Now where would you find the books to research on the different roles and professions in this kind of setting? there seem to be so much secrecy about it. Usually the people who writes books about it has been working with it themselves and know everything about what it's like

7. Steerpike

Just look for books written by insiders. Biographies or memoirs of people who lived and worked in the industry you are interested in. For example:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0345442350/?tag=postedlinks04-20

8. joanna

joanna Active Member

What other people said -- anyway, I'd finish it if it is something that demands finishing. It's good to make yourself complete a project and have a reference for future works, if you want to do something else with the characters too.

But do let us know if it's anything we might be able to help with.

9. Tesoro

There ARE books about it! yay! Thanks steerpike. I'm ordering as we speak :)) I actually found two that could be useful!! Didn't I say you've got the answers to everything? :)

10. Tesoro

thanks joanna :)

11. Steerpike

You are welcome, Tesoro. I hope the books have some good information for you!

12. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

that was all good advice and i'm glad to see you took it and found it helpful, so are forging ahead with the book... even if it will just be a 'learning experience' i'm sure it will be a valuable one and you'll go on from there to write others more confidently and skillfully...

meanwhile, if you have any questions about the industry, i've known many in the film, tv, and theater worlds, from stars to writers, directors and agents, so feel free to drop me a line any time...

love and hugs, maia
    maia3maia@hotmail.com

13. Jhunter

Jhunter Mmm, bacon. Contributor

I agree with everyone else and their sage advice.

But, you can Google the basic roles people play in the industry. Like producer, director and such.

You can also look up top film schools to see their curriculum. But as Steer has said, behind the scenes books are where the good stuff is.

Edit: I also have a few small insights from long time family friends who are in the TV and film industry as writers. If this sounds like something that might help, I can list what I know here on this thread. And then if Mamma would like to she can add to it or give a different perspective.

14. Tesoro

Jhunter and Mammamaia: thank you both so much, and Jhunter, that would be fantastic. :)) I feel there are so many professions and titles and you have to figure out who exactly do what and so on, to make everything authentic. I'll google it further too, for sure (and I'm currently reading every novel I can find with this particular setting), but if you have the time, it would be much appreciated. :)

15. Jhunter

Jhunter Mmm, bacon. Contributor

Like I said, I have small insights from them telling us tidbits over the years. But, nevertheless, I hope it helps in some fashion. Some of it you may already know as well. I will however be leaving names and major details regarding the work a secret. Since I am not even supposed to know; let alone the people of the internet.

For some recent news, they currently have a film script being circulated to the biggest names in Hollywood (the biggest of the bunch being Steven Spielberg). Now, that in no way means he will even read the script, and I will tell you why:

First it goes to his agent. Then if his agent likes it, it then goes to his "readers" (people who are paid to read them for him first). If it passes that, it then goes to his main reader. If it once again passes that, his reader may or may not hand it off to the man himself. At which point Steven most likely wont even read the entire thing.

To elaborate on this, they recently had a well known directors "reader" only read the beginning and the end of the script (they could tell because he never mentioned the middle and said things that contradict himself (he would have known if he read the whole thing)). The point is, this is very common. "Readers" have hundreds of scripts to get through. So they have gotten very good at skimming through and skipping large chunks of scripts. As my friends like to say, "It's typical Hollywood."

Also, it is good to know that they only reason their script is being circulated right now to these big names is because their TV agent knows their film agents. So, like with anything else in life, it is all about who you know.

Another funny (but sad) tidbit is that almost every time someone cancels a meeting an hour or two before it is about to begin, it is almost always because they did not read the script. Which you can already guess, my friends would say, "It's typical Hollywood."

Also, it could take months to even a year to hear back from any of these directors. Things move slowly when you are not already well connected.

Lastly, contrary to popular belief, producers have the money; which means they have most of the control.

This is all I can think of at the top of my head. If I can remember anything else I will let you know. Hope it helps.

Edit: One more interesting and confusing thing is that they are supposed to find a director, actors, producers and everything else before they shop it around to studios. Which is odd because how are you supposed to sign big names to the project without it being green lit or have a studio attached? That and actors and crew like to be paid. No producer = no money.

That is just another one of Hollywood's anomaly's. Though, of course, if you are big name and know people that doesn't apply. I am strictly talking about newcomers to the film scene.

16. Tesoro

Jhunter: Wow, that was really interesting. I had no idea there were so many turns. This is what i mean, stuff like this you rarely read about, how things REALLY work, because it's almost always kept secret. Thanks for sharing. I'll be collecting pieces of information like this :p It's a valuable clue to understanding what goes on behind the surface. Hopefully I'll get enough pieces to form an entire picture from them!