Tags:
  1. frigocc

frigocc Contributor Contributor

Legal Process For Vigilantes?

Discussion in 'Research' started by frigocc, Feb 28, 2019.

Basically, in my story, I want my vigilante to have two encounters with the police. One happens when my superhero intervenes in the mugging, but is stabbed. I'm thinking of making the detective give him some sort of warning or something, but not arrest him.

The second incident, the vigilante confronts a robber inside of a warehouse, and tries to wrestle a gun away from the bad guy. The gun goes off in the struggle, and hits his partner. All 3 are surrounded by cops and caught. This story takes place in Boston. What kind of jail time is he looking at? Can't imagine it would be anything crazy, but I'd assume either jail time or something else.

2. X Equestris

X Equestris Contributor Contributor

The first incident doesn't seem illegal, especially if it's on public property. Defending someone from a violent crime in progress and executing citizen's arrests is about the only thing a real vigilante could do without running afoul of the law. So a general "leave this to the professionals" type warning works well here,

I'm not sure if there's a crime with the struggle itself in incident 2. Being in the warehouse itself is definitely a problem if he doesn't have permission from the owner the be there. Trespassing or breaking and entering are probably on the table. A quick internet search should turn up sentencing guidelines for those in Massachusetts.

3. frigocc

Maybe the first could be someone he THINKS is getting mugged, but isn't? Not sure how the law would see that. Just want some way for him to get some sort of warning without him being arrested and his image being posted on a booking site (I know that's a thing in WV, at least).

#2, he doesn't have permission at all to be on the property. Trying to find some crime where he'd get punished, but not ridiculously bad. And citizens would still see him in a positive light.

4. frigocc

Have tried to find MA's vigilante laws, but can't seem to find them.

EDIT: Found them. Seems like what I want to do may not be tenable.

5. X Equestris

X Equestris Contributor Contributor

The first one is fine as it is, IMO.

With 2, that means trespassing is definitely at play. How does he access the warehouse?