Legal Question on Copy/Trade Mark

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by GuardianWynn, Jun 17, 2015.

1. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

Actually, I don't think that example is about copyright but about trademark. Short names and phrases (like "Mickey Mouse") can't be copyrighted, but they can be trademarked. I do think that it's legal, but I don't think that the analysis of why it's legal is based on copyright. It would, instead, be closer to what you said further down in your post.

That is much less certain.

2. Vandor76

Vandor76 Senior Member

Thank you for the valuable reply. It seems that you have much more knowledge in this area than me so I give a bow.
    Where is this world going, when legal departments sue people for such little things just to prove the necessity of their own existence to the management? Bahhhh :(

3. Aaron DC

Aaron DC Contributor Contributor

I am hoping to flag the use of any brands in my novels and have them listed somewhere. When I go to edit I'll ask a pro regarding their usage. Not going to use images from others for commercial work, have permission for a song for non-commercial. Everything else can be sorted later. I do not think it should be so key to the story that removal of its use requires rewrite.

4. Vandor76

Vandor76 Senior Member

Yes, I have to admit that it was a bad example. :oops:

Yes, as Steerpike pointed out the behavior of big companies is unpredictable. Unfortunate :(

5. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

Are you not going to sell the book?

6. Aaron DC

Aaron DC Contributor Contributor

Sorry song permission is for the movie I want to write / produce. If I need to make it commercial I revisit the band :D or choose a different song. Am also considering different ways of monetising my writing.