1. WriterDude

WriterDude Contributor Contributor

Escaping the asylum

Discussion in 'Research' started by WriterDude, Dec 9, 2011.

To make it quick, my main character dressed up in a silly costume, armed herself with a sword and killed two people. She tried explaining her act by telling a rather crazy story about another world, demons, an evil in the city and so on. Naturally, she was thrown into a mental institution. But a few years later, someone discovered that she was telling the truth and needs to get her out. How would this work? There is a doctor in charge, so I assume he will have to sign her release papers. But can she be set back on the streets, or will she be transfered to a prison instead? She did kill two people, after all. I'm not sure what country the story is set in, but that's not really relevant. Is it enough that the doctor believes her, or does he have to convince someone else too? She has been there for years, so releasing her out of the blue because "she is healthy now" might sound suspicious. But at the same time, the doctor can't reveal the proof to anyone. He could perhaps help her escape, but if so, how?

2. CiaDavis

CiaDavis New Member

Ok, since your MC had killed two people, there was more than likely a trial and she was deemed 'insane' and sent to an institution instead of prison. Several years later, when she needs to get out, the doctor (is he on her side?) can sign a release, letting her back into the world because she is 'better'. That is the purpose of institutions....to make people better so they can function in the real world again.

Yes, it is absolutely enough for the director to believe her, since he has the ultimate authority over her release.

Does this help at all?

3. WriterDude

Thanks, both of you. :)

CraigPay, this line was quite useful. Especially this paragraph:

"After being sentenced to a mental institution in Uzbekistan and escaping once, the government decided that less than 10 years of rehabilitation was enough for this serial killer and simply let him go."

To elaborate the story a bit, then yes, the MC was put on trial for her crime. She had to go through several tests to deem if she was sane or not, and the doctor said she wasn't healthy enough to go to a normal prison. That was six years ago, and now she's up for parole or release. The thing I'm having problems with is how to let her go. I could let the doctor say she's healthy and release her, and I could let someone show the doctor proof that she was telling the truth. Or I might simply let her escape. Apparently that happens. ;)

As for who the story is aimed for, I'm going for character-based drama. Really. :)

4. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

In the US, people who commit crimes and are judged 'legally insane' (an archaic term - JMO) are still sent to prison - depending on the state, it would either be a separate prison only for the mentally ill or it would be a separate ward in a regular prison. This is different, of course, from the people convicted of a crime who 'happen' to be mentally ill. And they would have to have more than just a doctor or director okaying their release. Also, if they were judged incompetent to stand trial before, once they are 'released' they can (and usually do) have to stand trial for the crime.

5. WriterDude

Thanks. I have no idea what country to set the story in, but I'm considering placing it in Norway. It's a character based drama with a superhero, a cyborg and a hidden world, and you don't really see stories from Norway with stuff like that very often. And no offense, but Norway is insane as it is. Over here, the killer is the victim, not the dead people. Or so it seems disturbingly often. Do you know what happened here back in July? That guy is almost a celebrity over here by now. And anyway, the MC was originally using a ninjato (or ninja sword), but she could use a viking sword instead. That'll be cool. :)