1. Sarahj

Sarahj New Member

Novel Chatter

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by Sarahj, Aug 26, 2010.

I've given myself permission to write the novel that has been lurking in the distance behind short stories and poems. I've written 10,000 words in four days. But now I don't know how to turn off the chatter. I am constantly writing when I'm not in front of the computer. My mind is going on the beach, during dinner with friends, during movies, workouts, etc... How do I quiet the chatter?

2. Cecil

Cecil New Member

Are you sure you really want to?
    I'm assuming that "chatter" is your brain working on the story. If your goal is to finish the story, then isn't that beneficial?

If for some reason you can't function in society because you just can't stop thinking about your story, then maybe you could try taking a brake. You could also go the direct route and practice relaxation/breathing techniques to clear your mind.

Really, this is an issue with your mind, so it's something where you have to figure out what works for you.

3. Thanshin

Thanshin Active Member

I barely pay attention to what's outside my mind anymore. The world is seldom interesting enough.

I suggest finding people to share your chatter with.

4. erik martin

erik martin Active Member

When I am working on something I find myself planning even when not 'working' and can be quite distracted from real life, or annoyed when the real world intrudes on working on my story, book or whatever. I get a lot done while not actually putting words on paper. However, I have some things that can get my mind off writing. For instance, I just went and played a softball game, not once thinking about the book I'm working on.

For me writing does not lend itself to socializing, but I recognize this and make myself get out and if what I am doing is decent I can forget about working for a bit. (If I want to, generally I would rather be mentally working out my story than doing whatever it is that I am doing. But that's just me, I've never been huge on socializing.)

5. w176

w176 Contributor Contributor

Meditative mind tricks will probably work with some practice.

For example imagining a pause button you press every time you stop writing or find you self thinking about the story when you prefer to think about something else.

Or think a box you stuff the thoughts away in until you decide to open the lid again.

Or level to adjust the sound level of the chatter.

Or a story monkey you tell go go play somewhere else for a while.

Whatever mental picture you fins nice and comfortable. And then practice calmly repeating that thought, calmly trying to put the thoughts out of you head. Don't be dismayed if it fails, just repeat the mental exorcise again.

6. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

I also meditate, I have children and they need my attention full on. But then my stories have been in my head from long before I decided to write them.

There is a book called Baby Buddhas that is just wonderful for these things.

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

If you've managed 10,000 words in four days just starting out, I woudn't worry too much. That isn't a breakneck pace, but it's respectable. Hopefully, the more you write, the more easily you'll be able to focus and ignore the distractions.

Also, the time of day you choose for writing may make a difference. For some people, the mind is quieter and more able to focus in the morning. For others, it may be in the evening, or any time in between. You should experiment ti find what part of the day is best for your concentration and productivity.

8. Gingerbiscuit

Gingerbiscuit New Member

You wouldn't be a writer if you didn't have an active imagination and the "chatter" is just your imagination still wanting to play. Personally I like the chatter and once it stops I seem to find my enthusiasm for the project dies with it.
    That said, my day job is very much "writing to order" but even when I'm off the clock I still find myself writing scripts in my head. On those occasions I find it helps to run a bath and pick up a book, or stare goggle-eyed at the idiot box for half an hour, let someone else do the thinking for me for a little while.

9. ChicagoDave

ChicagoDave Member

Hemingway read, drank, and screwed to take his mind off his work. ;-)

10. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

I know exactly what you mean. I've recently gotten a new writing project under way, and yesterday while ridinig the subway into Manhattan with my wife, she kept asking me why I looked so serious and what was I in such deep thought about. It was my mind racing ahead, where I want to go and how I want to get there. But it is good to have other things to give your mind a rest. Unfortunately, yesterday going to see "The Fantasticks" didn't quite get it done for me.

11. Diablo Robotico

Diablo Robotico New Member

I really appreciate that chatter when it comes. It generally gets me excited for what I'm creating.

12. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

this is why writing is a solitary occupation!

and why most of the writers we revere didn't socialize all that much [if at all]...