1. MissKaty

MissKaty New Member

A Romance Novel

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by MissKaty, Jul 25, 2009.

I am currently writing a Romance Novel inspired by a prompt on Wake Up Writing !

It starts with a girl watching her one true love who doesn't know she exists, and she really really wants to go out with him, but there is different problems in the way etc.

But I don't know what these problems could be, or plot twsts or anything please can you help me im a bit stuck at a wall.

Katy

2. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

This is what being a writer is about. You have to come up with the story yourself.

3. BeautifulRose

BeautifulRose New Member

It depends. Is this a teenage or an adult romance novel? I would also recommend that you go to your local library or go to amazon.com and get books on how to write a romance novel.

4. BeautifulRose

BeautifulRose New Member

Oh it also depends on what kind of romance your writing. Are you writing contemporary, historical, western, or paranormal/sci-fi/fantasy?

5. RomanticRose

RomanticRose Active Member

Check out Harlequin's website (eharlequin.com) and look at their guidelines for the different lines. They get pretty specific.

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

all good advice and i have to ditto banzai's... if you want to be a writer, you'll have to HAVE ideas for your plots... that's what real writers DO...

7. Faith*Hope*Love

Faith*Hope*Love Banned

Her parents, her self image, her best friend is going out with him...so many really...I love taking the craziest thing possible just to surprise the reader! :)

8. Beaumont Hardy

Beaumont Hardy New Member

How exciting for you, MissKaty! You have infinite plot possibilities for your story. All are available to you, because the writing prompt says so little about your characters and their motivations. As Faith*Hope*Love says, you can consider even the most outlandish of plots, because you're not hemmed in by character or storyline yet.

Just consider your characters' motivations. What is important to them, or what are their needs? Then, put up obstacles that keep them from easily achieving their goals.

I, for one, think there are far too few romance novels with heroines who are out-and-out nerds. That's my suggestion for you. But good luck with whatever plot you choose!

9. HorusEye

HorusEye Contributor Contributor

It would really be in the way if he was gay ;)

10. Faith*Hope*Love

Faith*Hope*Love Banned

haha. or, she could be bisexual, and not know which one to choose! I'd read that. lol

11. Rcds

Rcds New Member

Maybe her dad starts dating that boys mom and they get engaged. Now the boy knows she exists, but she's his future step sister. Oh, the complications.

12. daturaonfire

daturaonfire New Member

Rcds, have you read Marmalade Boy? That's one of the basic plots of that story. :-D In reply to the original post, read enough romance and you'll have some ideas. If you're looking for something in the way of complicated, outrageous plots, I can recommend you go straight to your bookstore's manga section. Those Japanse manga authors don't believe in love triangles--it's like a love octagon or something, really you can have a lot of fun.

13. Operaghost

Operaghost New Member

The fact he doesn't know she exists would probably get in the way, but why is this? does he run in different circles to her, is she too shy to speak to them, does she actually exist? just this one fact alone can cause narrative possibilities, and thats before you've even considered other issues that can come into it (the gay idea,him or her is good, but depends on yoru audience)