1. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

Vehicle journies in novels

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by OurJud, Sep 4, 2015.

Just wondering if anyone else has the same love and fascination with long vehicle journies in novels.

There's just something about travelling the landscape in a vehicle and the way it's depicted that I love - night drives, rain on the windscreen, stopping off at rest spots, motels, diners... I think this is why I've always been drawn to writing a road novel.

2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Like anything, I like it when it's well done and purposeful. The Book of Skulls by Robert Silverberg has a road-trip that parallels and foreshadows a more metaphorical "road-trip of the mind" that's in the novel. Well done, liked it muchly. :agreed: I recently tried to dig into Lord Foul's Bane by Stephen R. Donaldson. It has a foot-journey across the length of a vast fantasy landscape. It's purposeless and plodding and like pulling molars with your fingers. Poorly done (IMO), disliked it muchly. :blech:

OurJud likes this.
  3. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

I liked the excerpt of yours in the workshop very much. It reminded me of Steinbeck.

Can I add Jean M Auel's The Plains of Passage to the (very, very, very) poorly-done list?

Wreybies and OurJud like this.
  4. DancingCorpse

DancingCorpse Member

I can recall American Gods by Gaiman off the top of my head right now regarding car travel, he had a fair bit of car travel in that, he never really described much in great or complex detail yet I felt satisfied that I had been present and filled in on the transitions and pertinent details.

5. AlcoholicWolf

AlcoholicWolf Senior Member

I liked the journey up to The Overlook Hotel, the sense of leaving civilisation and the world become increasingly remote.