1. LMThomas

LMThomas Member

Questions About Murder Scene in DC

Discussion in 'Research' started by LMThomas, Feb 18, 2014.

If someone is murdered near the Washington Monument, who would investigate the scene? The FBI or the DC police? Also, does anyone know how many cameras there are around the Monument? I haven't been there in ages.

Thanks, guys.

2. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

The DC police would investigate it. I suppose the FBI could take over if there were reason for them to assert jurisdiction, like perhaps the victim had been kidnapped and brought from another state (including MD or VA).

I don't know how many cameras are near it. Right now it still has the scaffolding, I believe from the damage from the earthquake a few years back.

3. LMThomas

LMThomas Member

OK thanks. That's what I figured, but I wanted to make that because it was a national park or federal land that the FBI wouldn't be in charge.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

there are more policing jurisdictions and forces in dc than you can imagine... one of my daughters was the senate's first girl head page, so i lived there for a while and i know there are also the 'capital police' and the 'park police' just for two... see the mind-boggling list of others here:

http://ask.metafilter.com/46072/How-many-police-forces-have-jurisdiction-in-Washington-DC

the bottom line being that more than the 'DC police' would most likely be involved in investigating a murder at the monument... just the possibility of it being terrorist-related would bring in 'homeland security' as well!

5. captain kate

captain kate Senior Member

I do believe the park police would lead the investigation because it's on park land. Throw in the FBI and maybe the DC police and you've got one hell of a mess.

here's the park police's website. Washington Monument is covered by the Central Office in District One.

http://www.nps.gov/uspp/

http://www.nps.gov/uspp/district_one.htm

6. captain kate

captain kate Senior Member

US Park police would have jurisdiction due to it being on national park ground. Not to say the FBI or the DC police wouldn't be involved depending on who the victim and perpetrator are.