1. Jusef Jafari

Jusef Jafari New Member

First time writer looking for advice!

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Jusef Jafari, Jan 7, 2012.

Hi! First off I'd like to thank you for your time. I don't usually get people to help me :) *sociallyawkwardpenguin*

Now as I've never written a story before, I'm afraid this one I want to make will be unsatisfactory by most peoples standards. I was hoping some of the more experienced around here could give me some tips & tricks to make my story interesting for people to read, what to do when ''Writer's Block'' strikes, how to develop my characters, Etc.

Here's the story; It's about this teenage girl who leads a depressing life. She's bullied, being made fun of, and generally doesn't enjoy living. The few times she does, there will always be something there to interrupt the brief moments of pleasure(this is to emphasize on her life being as tormenting as it is). Then, through some sort of plot twist I have yet to figure out, she gains a superpower, one I also haven't figured out yet. However, this only makes her life even worse as it's very hard for her to control it if controllable at all, and destroys whatever else she may have liked. As you can see, the story is very gloomy, dark, and dread. I haven't thought of a good ending yet, but once I get into it I'll think of something.

If you guys & girls could give ma some advice, criticism, tips, or anything, that would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance and have a happy new year!

2. Mr Mr

Mr Mr Active Member

Well come to the forum Jusef.

To address the writers block question - Just write, what ever comes to mind or edit work you already have.

To get people interested you need the first few pages/chapter to grab the readers interest and find out more about whats going on. You'll need to be more specific about developing your characters though(it might help to head over to the character development thread).

3. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

Think in terms of conflict when you plan the story. What does this character wants? Why can't she have it? Who or what is standing in her way? While planning, keep asking yourself question, like What if...? Why? and so on to come up with an interesting plot. And don't feel tempted to start writing too early, before you have an idea about at least the basics of the plot. That, IMHO, is the best way to avoid writers block.

4. Whirlwind

Whirlwind New Member

Everyone will give you different advice - everyone has preferences, techniques they use, likes and dislikes. It's hard enough to just get two people to agree on what a story is.

For my 2 cents, I think you need to immerse yourself in story structure before you write a word. My favorite resources are http://www.youtube.com/user/clickokDOTcoDOTuk and http://thebrowser.com/recommended/writer%E2%80%99s-journey-by-christopher-vogler