1. outsider

outsider Contributor Contributor

Liberties

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by outsider, Jun 2, 2022.

Good day to you all. I haven’t been on here for a long time but I wanted to post to reassure fledgling writers that perseverance and tenacity bear fruit, given time.
    My novel, Liberties, written predominantly in contemporary Glaswegian Scots is to be published on the 1st September by Rymour Books.
    If anyone’s interested you can follow me on Twitter @peter_bennett and I’ll follow you back.
    I hope to see some familiar names / faces. If we used to chat on here but like me, you don’t use your real name on writingforums, let me know who you are.
    Hope all is well with you all.

2. Not the Territory

Not the Territory Contributor Contributor

I'm not a familiar face, but congratulations on your success!

outsider likes this.
  3. outsider

Thanks pal. I had a wee search of some of the names I remember: Wreybies, Jannert, Jazzabell, Lewdog, Minstrel, et al. It seems I’m not the only one that’s not been around for a while.

Not the Territory likes this.
  4. harlequin-writes

harlequin-writes Member

Nice work! I've been ploughing through Joe Donnelly's novel this year. Great horror, yes, but apart from that one set in Ireland, they're all set in Scotland, and showing many sides of that great country (small villages in the highlands, aging industrial towns on the Clyde, etc). Best of luck with it!

Would you be able to share a back blurb or general description?

outsider likes this.
  5. outsider

Sorry, been meaning to post this since you asked.

Synopsis

Glasgow, 1998: Arthur Coyle is seventy-one, having tragically lost his son and shortly thereafter, his wife, he feels alone in the world; a relic from a bygone age when things were simpler, when people understood the order of things, and respect for those that had come before you was universal. He only wants some of the same whilst running down the clock until his own time inevitably comes.

His best friend, Tam O’Henry, and his pride and joy – his grandson, Danny are what keep him going. However, after falling on hard times, and too proud to ask for help, Tam succumbs to the offer of a loan from a local gangster and quickly spirals into a world of intimidation and torment at the hands of the ruthless Harry Mullin and his associates.

Danny Coyle is twenty years old. He lives with his mother, just the two of them, his father having died when he was a child. An intelligent young man, he’s the first of the Coyles to be accepted to university. His time there was short-lived though, and he finds himself on the dole with his loyal, but miscreant friends. He gains employment again, to his initial displeasure, but ultimately finds a father figure in his boss, Joe. The dynamic is complicated with Joe’s revelation that he too knew Danny’s father, and knows the secret behind his death.

Stevie McShane, failed musician and drug addict, is in trouble. Indebted to the drug dealing Harry Mullin, he has no choice but to work off his debt. Subjugated, trapped and with no end to it in sight, he gambles it all, his life included, in a double-crossing scam that just might get him out of it.

Each storyline entwines, and overlaps, culminating in a violent and bloody end as increasingly, liberties are taken.

harlequin-writes likes this.
  6. harlequin-writes

harlequin-writes Member

Sounds gritty as hell, my friend! And set in the 90s too, which is by far the best time to set any story. Music guaranteed to be good.

outsider likes this.
  7. ruskaya

ruskaya Contributor Contributor

congratulations! Hard work finally paying off is rewarding.

outsider likes this.
  8. Rad Scribbler

Rad Scribbler Contributor Contributor

Only just saw this thread. Congratulations Outsider, and well done.

evild4ve and outsider like this.
  9. outsider

Thank you very much.:)

evild4ve likes this.
  10. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

Outsider,

Glad to see you're finding success! I recognize the screen names of members. Yes, there is some turnover, and some just come in and out again. But I guess I've been here more than a few years myself. :)

outsider likes this.
  11. outsider

Hi mate, thank you.

I recognise your name, definitely. I’m sure we’ve conversed.
    I hope all is well with you.:)

TWErvin2 likes this.
  12. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor

Minstrel was still around when I joined in late 2019, but not for long. Wreybies and jannert left more recently—Wreybies maybe a year and a half ago, and jannert maybe 6 or 8 months ago? I'm guessing. I miss both of them, they were excellent posters and always gave great advice. The board just isn't the same with those 2 gone. Lewdog... no wait. I'm thinking of a guy who goes by LEW. I think it's his initials. He posts every now and then but not often. Jazzabel is a name I don't recognize.

outsider likes this.
  13. outsider

Aye, the site and more specifically, it’s inhabitants are transitory by nature, it would seem.

14. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor

I believe Wreybies has left and returned several times. Who knows when he might return again? The same could be true for any of them.

outsider likes this.
  15. outsider

I think if you get involved in moderating and the like, it can become all consuming. It’s a commitment. Understandable when people need a break.

evild4ve likes this.