1. SapereAude

SapereAude Contributor Contributor

Library of Congress processing time?

Discussion in 'Self-Publishing' started by SapereAude, Feb 7, 2022.

I sent the required two copies of my first book to the Library of Congress (to register my copyright) in March of last year. I followed that with two copies of my second book in June. The Library of Congress still shows both copyright registrations as "Open" (meaning incomplete), and a search of the LOC catalog doesn't come up with any hits when I search on my name.

Okay, COVID-19 and everything, but how long does the Library of Congress usually take to open a package and check off that the mandatory deposit has been received?

2. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

You sent a physical package? Last time I did that (1998) it took about 3 months, not that that helps. Digital copies about the same, but it's been 10 years at least.

3. SapereAude

Well, yes, I did -- because as I read the criteria for digital submissions, I didn't think a printed, non-fiction book qualified for digital upload. From the LOC web site:

I don't do exclusively e-books, so I don't think my books fall into any of the above categories.

4. Cephus

Cephus Contributor Contributor

It says ONE of the following categories. Is it an unpublished work? If so, it qualifies.

5. SapereAude

My books are all for sale on the Internet. I'd say that qualifies as "published."

6. SapereAude

I have my answer. Saturday's mail (February 19, 2022) brought the copyright certificate from the Library of Congress.

Year of creation: 2021
    Date of first publication: January 31, 2021
    Effective date of registration: March 08, 2021
    Registration decision date: January 22, 2022

So it's taking the Library of Congress more than ten MONTHS to process copyrights.

Dogberry's Watch likes this.