1. The Next Big Thing

The Next Big Thing New Member

Hello

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by The Next Big Thing, Mar 10, 2015.

Hi everyone,

I was thinking of trying my hand at writing. I haven't done much creative writing since I was at school and I'm in my 30s now, although I used to get very positive feedback from my teachers.

Part of my inspiration has come from A Song of Ice and Fire by George. R R Martin, where I'm so desparate to read the conclusion of the story I'm thinking "fuck it, I'll do it myself". :)

Not to literally finish GRRM's story for him as such, although I hear there is a lot of fan fiction for the series, but to start my own story.

I am a big fan of fantasy novels. I started reading the Game of Thrones books after deciding I couldn't wait for the next television series. And after finishing those books I looked for other good fantasy books and loved The Name of The Wind, The Way of Kings, The Lies of Locke Lomora, to name a few.

I don't really have a solid idea for a story, and as a result I have procrastinated on writing anything for a while now. When I try to imagine a fantasy story I immediately hit a block as I realise just how much research must be required for an authentic medieval/renaissance type world, so I've stopped writing before I've even started.

I think it might be just best if I started writing anything, off the top of my head. And then worry about being accurate/authentic later on. Does anyone else here write off the top of their head or am I just being lazy? :)

Douglas Adams, brilliant though his Hitchhikers Guide books are, always struck me as having a writing style/method that wasn't hampered by checking notes, facts, etc. I.e. off the top of the head and free-flowing.

Anyway, it looks like a great forum and have already picked up some great information. Any advice would be appreciated. :)

2. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Hi, Next Big Thing, and welcome to the forum! Please check out our New Member Quick Start Guide - it'll get you going around here.

A fair number of us, myself included, write off the tops of our heads. We call it "pantsing" - writing by the seat of our pants, so to speak. There are "planners" and "pantsers" among us, and you'll see lots of discussion here about which approach is better. Of course, the best one is the one that works for you. I think you'll fit right in. Participate and have fun! :)

The Next Big Thing likes this.
  3. Amanda_Geisler

Amanda_Geisler Senior Member

Hi Next Big Thing,
    Minstrel is right. the best method is what works for you. If you feel restricted when you plan then don't plan. Remember it doesn't have to be all or nothing. You'll usually find that most writers use at least some degree of planning and researching before starting, even if it's just trying to envision the story, that's still considered planning. Honestly I think it depends on the type of book and the characters inside more then the writer.

Don't be afraid to ask questions. We are more than happy to answer them.

Welcome to the forums,
    Amanda

4. Chinspinner

Chinspinner Contributor Contributor

It's planning. Welcome. Your post just made me wonder what it must be like to be an author and to have masses of fan fics pre-empting your work. Try as you might you could never completely shut it out.

5. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Welcome.