Life of Jesus

Discussion in 'Research' started by Keen, Apr 6, 2017.

1. Lew

Lew Contributor Contributor

Interesting... it has been a really long time since I last read the OT from an analytical viewpoint.

2. Commandante Lemming

Commandante Lemming Contributor Contributor

I did a "chevrutah" study on Chronicles with one of my really intellectual friends from Synagogue last year (basically that's where you get two people together and nitpick a text to death verse by verse) - and we did Chronicles because it's the version of the story nobody ever reads (Kings has way more action). He's studying to be a rabbi and I work in the political world, and since Chronicles is the court history we basically spent the entire time comparing the two narratives and picking out the politics of Chronicles - which was written after the Babylonian exile with the purpose of rooting the new temple in the old Davidic monarchy. So it's a very interesting narrative that focusses a lot on the involvement of the Davidic dynasty with the temple, which isn't in Kings at all, but very much omits a lot of the morally gray stuff about the same dynasty that you find in Kings. That, and it very obvious that Samuel and Kings were themselves among the primary source texts for Chronicles - with entire paragraphs lifted verbatim.

3. Lew

Lew Contributor Contributor

Interesting... you have sparked my curiosity to go back and read that.

4. Commandante Lemming

Commandante Lemming Contributor Contributor

Dry but fun :) (Chronicles itself is dry and has a lot of lists - Samuel and Kings are fun and the comparison with Chronicles is really enlightening. Also the book of Judges is straight-up bloody mayhem)

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017