Tags:
  1. Yaldabaoth

Yaldabaoth Member

Life on a military base

Discussion in 'Research' started by Yaldabaoth, May 23, 2020 at 8:11 PM.

One of the stories I have in mind for a later date opens with the protagonist serving on a military outpost for a developing interstellar colony. The main gist is that they do security/police work and monitor for threats.

Mostly I'm wondering if there's anyone here who's lived/served with the military, and would know what the lifestyle in an environment like that is like? The main things I'd like to know is how regimented daily life on an outpost would be (as I imagine soldiers would adhere to a strict schedule) and how relaxed soldiers are allowed to be in the absence of their CO.

2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

You're going to get lots of answers from many different experiences because the truth is that it's quite variable.

The job I did in the USAF was the kind that happens inside the sanctum sanctorum of a SCIF - Sensitive Compartmented Information Facility. Most of the people with whom I was assigned were in similar fields under similar dynamics. Everything was two-ton steel doors and electronic badges that did or did not give you access to different sections of the SCIF.

Off duty time was my time. I actually had very little in the way of other duties outside of my mission. Formations, G.I. cleaning parties, inspections, these things happened, but not on a daily or even weekly basis. Then again, the USAF is often the butt of military jokes as the vacation branch of the U.S. Armed Forces.

Inside the SCIF... I cannot talk about what went on in there. But in there is where all the totally choreographed, deeply systematic things took place. We did the things we did to the letter, no jokes, no effing around. It was very serious. The material we handled spoke for itself.

"Sergeant, is that a...?"

"Yes, airman, it is. You know what to do?"

"Yes, sarg, I do."

"Then get to it."

Electronic Security Command no longer exists. I think it's part of the 25th Air Force now. May have changed, maybe not. We were a rarified little group and it wasn't uncommon for more standard issue zoomies to look askance at us because we were separated and we did exude an air of elitism. We did.

But again, it's quite variable. I grew up on military bases, my parents having also served. I saw lots of different ways it could be, depending on the mission(s) that base was handling.

Last edited: May 23, 2020 at 8:40 PM
  3. Thundair

Thundair Contributor Contributor

What you’re describing is more like a border guard or security guard. I have pulled guard duty, and it was always serious. Some of the ODs (officer of the day) would send someone to test your mettle.
    A lot of security guards have to clock in at key points around the area.
    With your ‘future guard,’ you could use sweep protocol and inferred scan or the like.

Yaldabaoth likes this.
  4. matwoolf

matwoolf Contributor Contributor

But you are writing sci-fi...so unshackle and live a little...

'Infantryman' was the throw-back, to a time when 'soldier' meant anything, if it ever did mean anything to anybody, nobody really knew exactly, how 40 000 years ago teams wore identical pink outfits and slung mortar bombs over alien horizons. It seemed such a quaint concept to Infantryman Peters. He reached, reached for the bubbles of contentment bubbling through his atmospheres, and he swallowed, cheeks a-swollen, the contentments a-popping on his molars. Toes drifted from the turf, he floated among wildlife, stroking hamsters as was his duty, by order as a soldier..'

Last edited: May 24, 2020 at 6:01 PM
    Yaldabaoth likes this.