Lifeline's 'Progress' Journal

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by Lifeline, Jun 7, 2016.

1. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum

Oh, I just remembered something else. When we started hearing coyotes the neighbor bought a little bottle of coyote pee that they sprinkled around the perimeter of their yard to protect their dogs when they're outside (they also didn't let them out unless they were watching closely). It's supposed to discourage them from walking past it, like a territorial marker that they won't cross. I'm sure you can get wolf pee as well.

Lifeline likes this.
  2. Lifeline

Lifeline North of South. Contributor

I'll need to check permissions. Looking at what is legal... I'm over 18 at least, but it's classified as weapon. A job for Monday :rolleyes:.

Funny. So far I've never contemplated carrying a weapon or felt unsafe in my life, but now, because of a lone wolf, I do. Maybe I'm unreasonable, but I don't fancy giving up my walks in the woods at night.

3. big soft moose

big soft moose The Moderating Moose Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

I don't know what the law is where you are, but if pepper spray isn't an option the other deterrent people often use is a thunder flash or a flare... since they are pyrotechinc devices (fireworks to all intents) they may be more easily legal.

The other thing I'd note is that wolves don't tend to go round alone - where there's one there's probably more. On the plus side so long as they arent starving or rabid its pretty rare for them to attack people who aren't doing anything to them

Lifeline, Xoic and Stormburn like this.
  4. Lifeline

Good pointer. I've looked into legal stuff and your advise might be something to consider. Especially looking at how long it takes to get a permit to carry (anything).

All the accounts I've heard talk about a loner. There's a pack north of the danube but pretty far off. And the canine I've heard about has been responsible for getting close to humans, from about the same distance I heard it. That's not to say that you're not right, just that the odds in this case are stacked against it being a pack. I'll be careful.

Stormburn and Xoic like this.
  5. Xoic

At least cut yourself a good stout club and leave it beside the back door. Also wear your heaviest hiking boots. At least doing things like this will give some courage. My (untested) strategy for if I ever got attacked by a big dog is to stomp downward repeatedly at the front legs as hard as I can. If you can break them it'll have a hard time chasing you, though I know it still might. Dogs can apparently run on broken legs though. This is for if you get caught without any weapons.

If you do encounter it, don't run away and don't stare into it's face, either of these will make it more aggressive. Stand for a moment and then back away slowly. Usually when dogs or wolves face off and growl it's just a shit-test, neither one usually wants to really fight until one freaks out and attacks out of fear. Maybe get a big male dog to pee on you... :cool:

Stormburn and Lifeline like this.
  6. big soft moose

big soft moose The Moderating Moose Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Lupine... just sayin'

being a loner probably makes it more dangerous since without a pack it is less able to hunt and might decide it fancies a tasty Caden in lieu of deer... in all honesty absent a firearm i'd be finding somewhere else to write...

as to what xoic was saying about fighting it off... dogs yes, wolves no - a wolf has three times the bite pressure of a big dog and twice as fast reactions... although if you're actually attacked you may as well fight... it'll give you something to do with the last minute of your life :D

Stormburn, Lifeline and Xoic like this.
  7. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber Contributor Contributor

They weigh on average about 100 pounds. Surely a fully grown human could put up a fight?

8. big soft moose

its not really the weight that matters, is the bite strength, ferocity, and endurance... you can't run from one they're both faster than you and able to keep running long after a human is exhausted. If they get you on the floor they'll go for the throat, if you put your arm up they'll bite it hard enough to go straight through your ulna and radius. (at which point you'll bleed out.)

Absent a weapon and the skill to use it in an actual attack your only hope is to go for its eyes and snout and hope to hurt it enough to make it back off... that aside not getting into the situation in the first place is distinctly the best option

Climbing a tree might be an option but only if you also have a phone to summon aid - otherwise the wolf will just wait at the bottom until you fall from hunger/thirst/or exhaustion

9. Lifeline

I found advise to make myself bigger and shout in a standoff... I'm not sure that's good advise. I believe I'll be going with @big soft moose (snout, eyes, ears).

Since early days I always carry a big stick. Now I carry two. The phone is on standby in a pocket where I can reach it fast but it won't fall out. Trees to climb are a problem, not because the hill isn't full of the fuckers and lots of brush, but because the trees are young and most of them are not much thicker than two of my fingers.

I always tell my landlord that I'm going uphill, and always call when I start going down. In a few days I'll be getting pepper spray. I've considered a firearm, but I don't think I'll get the permit. My country has tight rules, and I don't think a (hopefully) one-off threat qualifies. I plan to ask anyway.

10. big soft moose

To be honest a firearm is only a good move if you know how to use it - otherwise you're likely to just piss it off (if you're firing in the air to scare it T flashes or a starting pistol are less restricted options)

As to making yourself look bigger... that might work but it could equally interpret it as a challenge...

Lifeline likes this.
  11. Xoic

I figure my leg-breaking trick would only work if you get both front legs and really smash the bones. A dog can run a long way on a greenstick fracture, or even a worse one if it's just one leg, But if you actually break both front legs it doesn't matter how much pain they can withstand (a lot more than you or I), they simply can't walk or run and you can get away. Of course it would be a death sentence for the wolf, but in a situation like that it's either the wolf or you.

And it would strictly be a last-ditch desperation move. You'd probably get bit many times, and you may well die together there by the woodpile.

Look up articles on wolf/dog fights, or wolf attacks on humans. (I never looked up attacks on humans but I can imagine it). Insanely fierce creatures! But probably won't attack a human unless starving or desperate, maybe if it thinks you're threatening its cub or something.

12. big soft moose

Lifeline and Xoic like this.
  13. Xoic

^ That confirms what I thought, that wolf attacks on adult humans are very rare, but they do happen, often if the wolf is rabid or sick.

If it growled at you, you probably frightened it and that's its natural response. Hopefully it's a normal wolf that are very shy of people and maybe it will stay away from the woodpile.

Lifeline likes this.
  14. big soft moose

or habituated to humans... that case in Canada where a chef was grabbed by a wolf outside the kitchen door where it had been waiting for him, the wolf had got used to coming to the dumpster for food and subsequently lost its fear of humans... and when that happens we're easy prey since we have neither the speed to run nor the strength to fight... the only thing we do have is our brain power which allows us to prepare or avoid. https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/he-was-testing-humans-as-potential-prey-why-canadas-richest-uranium-mining-region-is-haunted-by-wolves

I would be a little worried that lifeline's wolf is hanging around near to habitation, in habitat which isn't ideally suited to it

15. Stormburn

Stormburn Contributor Contributor

Seems like we're ignoring possibility of a...werewolf. If' that's the case, I think silver objects and Taylor Swift music would be in order.

16. Xoic

My God!! That's inhuman!!

Stormburn likes this.
  17. big soft moose

Real life footage of Caden preparing to write

Lifeline, Stormburn and Xoic like this.
  18. Lifeline

:rofl: It begins to feel like it... :whistle:

Xoic likes this.
  19. Lifeline

Yeah, that's what makes me uneasy as well. Wolves generally are shy of humans and they generally back down and go away. Well. This one didn't, and he had every chance to. Must have seen/heard me from far away (clumsy human and the only one for hundreds of metres on this hill), and he still waited for me. I found no indication that I interrupted his feeding (the explanation usually given when a wolf doesn't flee before humans).

I had no idea when I took up writing that it's such dangerous business!

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
    Xoic and Stormburn like this.
  20. Lifeline

Progress.

Broke out of the doldrums with the current short 'Ambition' (wc 850). The MC this time is one that'll fit prominently in the timeline of my greater story arch as the 'villain'. Though he's nothing of the sort looking at it objectively, which I really am challenged to do in 1st POV. I don't condone his actions later on, but he has some human impulses, just got reared in the wrong society. Yikes o_O.

And yes, I just came down from my woodpile in the deep dark. Since my frightening experience, I always call a friend when I leave the woodpile and twelve minutes later call her again when I'm down. Still. September can't come soon enough when I'll get my pepper spray.