Lifeline's 'Progress' Journal

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by Lifeline, Jun 7, 2016.

1. Lifeline

Lifeline Out of the Night Supporter Contributor

What did I say? ch3 needs 1k? It's easy to write? Wrong, on both fronts. Because I just discovered that a war can be written from different narrative distances. Maybe I'm slow. Wouldn't be the first time.

The War. So far I see two ways of telling about war and they are not categories per-se but only a gut-feeling. I don't know if I'm expressing myself well, but if not I'd like one of you put it down in words better. Be my guests. But for some reason, there are no 'how-to-write-about-war' manuals out there. *irony off*

ETA: I've found one, which sums a few things up quite well: http://doughboycafe.deviantart.com/art/On-Writing-the-War-A-Guide-to-Military-Fiction-322539034

Anyway: My particular insight, walking to work this morning. So: The. War.
    1. WAR takes the role of stage-director, looming and orchestrating all events just by it being 'WAR'. Cause and effect in itself, characters react to violence and get gobbled up by it. Personal choices are there, but they are not the focus of this way of portraying war, they are insignificant and don't change the outcome.
      War takes the role of the narrator, never mind who the formal POV is. @zoupskim : Do you recognise this description? I salute you! :)

2. WAR is up-close and personal. The POV character is part of the war, but the war is equally part of the POV character. You're as much cause as effect to the war, as vice versa.
      IEDs have been planted by other people, but it's your choice to recognise the piece of wire sticking out of the rubble, or the cell phone in the hand of this guy over there. Or what to do with this knowledge. But despite everything you do, you won't change the outcome.
      War is not the narrator. YOU are. You are showing your personal war.
    So much for theory. Ultimately, the war as an 'entity' is the same for both ways of telling about it, and no one way to write about it is better. Both ways of telling emphasize different aspects, but war is ugly, no way around. How to tell this truth is your choice as an author, it's about what you want to leave the reader with. But you'd better think about the narrative distance reader <-> war, before you dip your toes in. For me, I want to write the second way. On the narrative-level, there's a world of difference in just which events I need to choose to 'how' to show/tell.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
    zoupskim likes this.
  2. zoupskim

zoupskim Contributing Member Contributor

Concerning these insights:

1. Spratly Island Dispute

2. Mouawiya Syasneh

Lifeline likes this.
  3. Lifeline

Thank you for a few other new facts :cool:. Never heard of both of them before. :eek:

zoupskim likes this.
  4. Lifeline

Yeah! I've taken care of chapter 3! OT is (and will be) a ride! Now let it settle a bit, MoW, get a bit of critiquing done, and then I can go on to ch4. And as soon as I've written the meat of that, I can give ch3 out; it's kind of an item with ch4 ;)

zoupskim likes this.
  5. Lifeline

It just occurred to me that I haven't updated this *aehm* progress journal in a bit. So here goes:

Current Status (S = Missing Short):

• OT-Origin: S, S, Never look back (4060), Enemy Mine (2038), Angel's Hell (2337), S, A sniper's Farewell (1853), Family Loyalty (2632), S
    • OT: ch1 (3k), ch2 (3.6k), ch3 (2.7k)
    • OT outline: In progress.
    • OT-whatever: 3k
    Last week I wrote about 3k in a spin-off of OT. A few years after the end of my story. Yeah, I know. I just had to get it out of my head. Also there was the little matter of a writing contest (not on this site): I've let myself get wrestled into writing 100 words of microfiction, incorporating two prompts. I had three days to get it rolling. What can I say? I lucked out with the prompts (every two writers got different prompts). Though my wrestling (aehm, writing) opponent apparently isn't as enamoured with them. I'm still waiting for his contribution. As of now, he has exactly three minutes to the deadline... maybe I've scared him away??

Update on my wrestling opponent: Yeah! He got his contribution in exactly at the dealine! Our match is underway! :D

For all interested: Prompt 1) A politician's nightmare, and Prompt 2) One of the characters is a dog. The title of my little story is "The limit to a dream" (already submitted)

And then there was the little matter of research and outlining as an ongoing process, discovering that the storyline of ch3 and ch4 are definitely the same chapter 3 (and cannot be separated as I'd thought). That means I've now 2.7k in ch3, and it's about halfway/two-thirds written.

Current Goals:
    • Critiquing.
    • OT ch3—finish!
    • OT outline.

See you next week! :)

KaTrian, zoupskim and Dracon like this.
  6. big soft moose

big soft moose Contributing Member

Yay 100 words on Nigel Farage being savaged by a Rottweiller :D From the Rottweillers point of view

zoupskim and Lifeline like this.
  7. Lifeline

For all interested: This is the microfic in question (and if you don't know what the term 'Watergate' means I suggest you look it up o_O).

The Limit to a Dream

"We should have brought a gun," I grumble.
    The collie's tail waves from side to side. Hell knows what it's doing in here. That I dislike dogs, that's the fault of my last name, Barker. Kids can be so cruel.
    My partner's rifling through the filing cabinet. "Quit complaining, Bernard."
    "Done." I finish screwing the phone together, while the dog sniffs my crotch.
    The view from the sixth floor is beautiful. Looking down at the city lights, reflected in the river, it seems like there's no limit to our dream. We can do anything. Guess that's why it's called Watergate.

zoupskim likes this.
  8. big soft moose

I know what watergate is - in that clearly you are describing the wire tapping at the DNC in your scene ... but i don't see the link to limitless dreams or the ability to do anything ... looking it up hasn't helped as all references come back to the scandal.

Also two that's in the third line - you didnt need the first one ;)

9. Lifeline

Another tidbit:

zoupskim likes this.
  10. Lifeline

• OT-Origin: all in all 18.5k
    • OT: ch1 (3k), ch2 (3.6k), ch3 (3k)
    Yes, there was quite a bit of holiday in the meantime, in which I didn't write word 1 of anything. Family and friends condensed together don't make for writing. But it had some good spots: I found another critical puzzle-piece and edited ch2 accordingly. *flips the bird at anyone who dares to accuse me of procrastination*. This was necessary, people! All of it, the holiday as well as the lightbulb-moment!

But I'm glad to be back (for one week before the next holiday will strike), and getting into the groove again.

Current Goals:
    • Critiquing.
    • OT ch3—finish!
    • OT outline.

zoupskim likes this.
  11. big soft moose

No need to rush on the TDS crit , ive parked that for a while while I edit and finish the ATW bits (course i'll have some ATW extra scenes for crit in due course)

zoupskim likes this.
  12. Lifeline

Two things: I'm drawing a world map. Yes, that's right. I am drawing a f*** WORLD MAP! This is a nightmare. I, the antithesis of creativity, am drawing. I am NOT Tolkien. Okay, I'm cheating a bit (graphic programs: 'Hello') but still.

And I'm disheartened. But you know what?? It just makes me furious. And all the more determined. So... no I'm not saying what runs through my head. I'm going to my graphix.

Dracon and zoupskim like this.
  13. Dracon

Dracon Active Member

What's the problem? Deciding what goes where, the geography, or the actual physical making of the map?

I am a terrible artist - don't ask me to draw a portrait - but I made a neat map of my world that I was surprisingly pleased with. It's remained pretty much unchanged too apart from a few minor details (so might have to trace it and re-do it sometime), sketched in pencil, then pen, and crayoned in. I found map-making programs too cumbersome.

And I'm not sure Tolkien is the gold standard of map-making, e.g., Mordor encapsulated in a square-shaped mountain range :p but oh well.

14. Lifeline

The reference to Tolkien was meant in irony. Tolkien pretty much described a whole world (not in maps but with words), and I didn't bargain for that to happen to me. I can't draw if my life depended on it, so I'll do it all by computer. That it'll take me quite a bit of time is almost an afterthought. Oh well.

I'm furious for another reason, but it only has to do with starting to write OT so late. There are so many gaps in my knowledge it's pitysome. I'm the very last person who should write this story, and on and off the thought catches up with me. Today it did/does. Usually I'm pretty good in ignoring that fact, but when my nose gets shoved in the manure, the anger at myself and at others is hard to ignore. No matter that it's no ones fault. Yeah, Daniel (not our Daniel of WF) I understand you, too well!

Sorry for the rumble in the jungle o_O.

zoupskim and Dracon like this.
  15. Dracon

Dracon Active Member

What makes you say that? You're the only one who knows your world and your characters so well and nobody else can replicate that. You are entitled to write whatever story you want, you should not need to feel "qualified" to do so.

16. Lifeline

Hah. I should let you read that you know just how deep the s** is I've found myself in. Me -> still angry. Don't mind me. It'll blow over o_O it always does.

zoupskim likes this.
  17. Lifeline

So, back from holiday. Nine days writing a few sentences on paper, but not firing up my laptop a single time. How did I manage? Well, I did a lot of thinking. What's new? I can now write (and did halfway already, on scraps of paper) the 'beginning' short-story. If not for that first 'mistake' my second MC made at the start, they could have short-circuited a lot of heartache, but I wouldn't have OT to write. Poor guys :twisted:

Now life can settle down to writing. No holidays anymore, until the next year.

zoupskim likes this.
  18. big soft moose

Yay you're back :cheerleader:

19. Lifeline

Guess my holidays were necessary. Today, out of nowhere, the theme, tagline, or whatever you want to call it, jumped at me. I've thought about it on and off for a long time (close to half a year), but—even if I've 'felt it' in the pit of my stomach—I couldn't put it into words. But now, as a result of my 'beginning short-story', suddenly it was there. For all of you who wondered: 'The price of truth. How much are you willing to pay?'

zoupskim likes this.
  20. big soft moose

May be "what will you pay" since I assume Jarrely isn't paying with money

zoupskim likes this.
  21. Lifeline

• OT-Origin: all in all 18.5k
    • OT: ch1 (3.9k), ch2 (3.6k), ch3 (3k)
    And the last holiday of this year has come and gone, and I'm so glad to be back. In response to critiquers comments, I re-wrote ch1 almost completely. The only thing unchanged are the first 200 words, everything else is new, all of 4k. The word count is not bad for a week *pats myself on the shoulder*. I think it's good, nay, a lot better than the old version, let's see if I still think so a week from now.

Thanks to recent research, I can now write Kris' short story, and I'll do that, just as soon as my head stops hurting from @zoupskim 's last chapter I got hit over the head with ;) In the meantime, I can fix the changes I need to make in my ch2 in my mind. Should be a doozle. Yeah, sure, like everything in OT :rolleyes:

Current Goals:
    • Critiquing.
    • OT: ch2 adjustment.
    • OT Origin: Kris' short.
    • OT outline.

zoupskim and Dracon like this.
  22. Lifeline

This is for all who read my new ch1.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017 at 4:30 PM
    zoupskim likes this.
  23. Dracon

Dracon Active Member

It seems like this break was just what you needed. :agreed: So I think you are good to trust your own judgment on this one. If you think it's a better version, then it probably is because you're tackling the novel with fresh eyes. Make sure to keep up the momentum before it's gone again!

zoupskim likes this.
  24. big soft moose

Or you could you know share it with your alpha reader (sobs uncontrollably into his coffee ... doesnt love me anymore. sniffle ) :D

25. Lifeline

@Dracon , a single week away from my story doesn't count as 'fresh eyes' ;) especially if I ponder problems and storyline, sitting somewhere on the coast, or reading for research. I take my sweet time, because I'm about as un-creative as you can get. I am no original thinker, just puzzle things together somehow :rolleyes:

@big soft moose : duly noted :D will send tonight, after a last glance over. I didn't send before, because I'm tired of giving out versions which get re-worked when I take another step closer to my story—and my critiquers would get tired of critiquing the beginning over and over.