Lifeline's 'Progress' Journal

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by Lifeline, Jun 7, 2016.

1. Lifeline

Lifeline Out of the Night Supporter Contributor

Writing the next short 'Up in the Air'. Daniel's POV, setting an airshow, under a sunny and cloudless sky—where else? :D BUT... as with all my shorts... it'll not stay easy and enjoyable for long. Maybe 2.5k? Then it'll hit. Hard.

1k in right now.

zoupskim and Stormburn like this.
  2. Stormburn

Stormburn Senior Member

I would love to do an 'air' story. I started one in the summer but didn't have the reference material.

Lifeline likes this.
  3. Lifeline

I've the opposite approach: First I paint a general 'setting' picture in my mind. Needn't be specific, but just so that I have the general feel of the place in my mind. I can't research each and every possibility, because it'd never stop and when would I ever start writing? I don't need a new career, thank you very much :D

Then I start to write and wing it, until I stumble over something I need to be specific about. Trust me, I know when that happens. When it does, I research that thing, and that thing only in order to finish first draft. Now editing is more fun: I can also do details. My gut is honed and tells me where they are needed.

So... why don't you sit down and finish your story about the 'air'? :)

ETA: 2.7k in 'Up in the Air'. Let's turn this belly up. Hopefully I'll be able to sleep soundly after this day's writing :confuzled:

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
    Stormburn likes this.
  4. Stormburn

Stormburn Senior Member

Actually, I did write the story first. Or, the story draft as I call it. It was for the 'Crop Circles' writer's prompt. Along with the lack of reference material, it was a really surreal and purple; so, I decided to go with Here I Come.
    I realize that my Progress Journal gives the impression that I'm a heavy research guy. But, I'm using a lot of the characters and plots from my 'Forgotten Realms' series. I'd already written the first draft of two books. What I needed was a new world to set them in. And, a lot of characters and plots are world driven, so, I really did need a highly developed world.

Lifeline likes this.
  5. Lifeline

Hey, what's wrong with that? You don't need to justify yourself to me :D

I understand the need to research (and the time that takes), and, as long as the focus is still on writing, everything's fine in my opinion. And even if research takes first place, so what? It's your time, and if you enjoy it that's good enough :)

6. Lifeline

Fleshing out a bit of glossed-over backstory in 'Up in the Air', I used the occasion to tie it in to an event in OT proper, somewhere at the halfway-point. And it makes my heart ache. Now I even like Liam Hall! :eek: See me fumming. Despite Liam doing so much wrong dealing with his son Daniel (who is one of my main characters in OT and the POV character in 'Up in the Air') that I want to give Liam a real piece of my mind, I understand where he's coming from.

And I'm hurting for him :oops:.

ETA: 3.9k. Why are the current words so f easy to write?? I haven't ever had these experiences. Which begs the question if I have an overactive imagination. And is also a very big pointer that I'd do well to let 'Up in the Air' read by someone who has first/second-hand knowledge.

So, if anyone of you who reads this journal is a medic/in the profession and willing to proofread for accuracy, please let me know.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
    Stormburn likes this.
  7. big soft moose

big soft moose All killer, no filler. Contributor Community Volunteer

Was that ever in doubt ? :D

Lifeline likes this.
  8. Lifeline

Thank you for your vote of confidence :D

I'm so sick of this short, I couldn't make myself write the last 300 words or so. I've not glanced at it since shutting down scriv this afternoon and trying to distract myself with a new book—complete fiction this time. Which spectacularly backfired, because I've never read a more hitting account written from the POV of a surgeon. Also researched real well. Thanks, I absolutely needed that. Here I tried to get away from my story for a bit, and then I pick something like that :confuzled:.

Maybe by tomorrow I've found my equilibrium again, and can ffinish it.

Shenanigator and Stormburn like this.
  9. Shenanigator

Shenanigator Member

Hang in there, you can do it!

Lifeline likes this.
  10. Lifeline

Never doubt me! One step at a time I walk around the world :D and finish this short.

Just not now. Tried again, and failed. Maybe when I get home from work I'll pour myself a whiskey and stop thinking so's I can finish it. Last time I struggled that much was with my very first fantasy story, when I lost my 'writing virginity', killing my first guy. But this time it's worse o_O.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
  11. big soft moose

You can do it, one step at a time....question is was your writing virginity your first kill or your first sex scene ;)

The trouble with the former is its not anywhere near as much fun doing field research :D

Shenanigator and Lifeline like this.
  12. Lifeline

Do you really want to know? :p

'Up in the Air' — FINISHED! 4.5k. Not bad for 5 days and a concise short.

I need to edit a bit and wait for expert's opinions (I've recruited two, a medic and a firefighter), but I hope it's done well. See you at the next short! Geronimoooo!!!!

13. Shenanigator

Shenanigator Member

Congrats!!!

:cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader:

14. Lifeline

Current status: 1.7k in 'The Mark of the Beast'.

Jaraley's short, before the big crash-and-burn chapters start, setting the scene. I am astonished that it's as easy as that, writing him. None of the flailing about I endured with Namib in 'Showtime', none of the uncertainty to find Daniel in 'Up in the Air' (and yes, I found him :oops:). I just write, and it's clear. 'The Mark of the Beast' will be another ugly short, and the dynamic Jaraley/Tadji is not something I enjoy, but it has to be written that way.

Got another comment on 'Showtime': 'This will definitely not make it on screen.' Hell, I knew that!!! o_O So much for treading lightly. I'm crashing every egg I can find, entirely unapologetic.

As per @ChickenFreak and @Shenanigator, I'm keeping a daily minimum of 300 and a private 'journal' where I write down specifics on what I did on each given day. Short version: I love it, and my story grows.

Stormburn and Shenanigator like this.
  15. Shenanigator

Shenanigator Member

:supercool::cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader::supercool:

Of course, being the contrarian I am, I'm curious about Showtime...:D

Stormburn and Lifeline like this.
  16. Lifeline

You are? Don't say I didn't warn you :evilsmile:.

Stormburn likes this.
  17. Lifeline

2.5k in 'The Mark of the Beast'.
    I think I've got a new favourite 'villain' in Tadji. This guy's pretense of humour (which is the wrong word for what he does) makes me sick to my stomach. On a lighter note, there's a family breakfast, and, completely unexpected (to me, the writer), the mother shaped up as the head of the house. It's almost comical how she has everyone under her thumb :rofl:.

Stormburn likes this.
  18. Lifeline

3.1k in 'The Mark of the Beast'.
    Yesterday I got hit with the appropriateness of the title to this short. I had some hazy notion to tie it in with a specific event, but that's now off the grid, because the title is much more metaphorical than I thought. Yuk.

When I say 'got hit' I mean it exactly as I said. Cycling back from work my mind took a jump sideways and suddenly the end of this short was in my brain. It makes all kind of sense. Jaraley will hit rock-bottom with this short. From here, everything leads to the big crash-and-burn, with a lot of stuff referenced on the sidelines that ties in with OT proper.

Did I say that my story is a rabbit hole? I never want to find my way out! :D

Shenanigator, Dracon and archer88i like this.
  19. archer88i

archer88i Contributor Contributor

I don't understand how I survived without knowing about this song.

20. archer88i

That said, I have never once been able to watch Saving Private Ryan all the way through.

21. big soft moose

its worth watching just for that opening - does a really good job of capturing the brutal insanity of combat in a way that few war films manage

Stormburn likes this.
  22. Lifeline

Or 'Black Hawk Down', when they go down the big street at the end.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017 at 5:49 PM
    Stormburn likes this.
  23. archer88i

Actually, I liked the movie, I just can't watch it. I do like Black Hawk Down, though. That one I can watch. ;)

Lifeline likes this.
  24. Shenanigator

Shenanigator Member

I love when stuff like that happens!!!

Lifeline likes this.
  25. Lifeline

You and me both :) but fortunately, I get these moments rather often, though not all are as stunning or at the scale of the one on Monday.

But man, will I be glad when this short is done! I'm already 4k in, and the big action hasn't started yet, and I need to add more even words at the breakfast table, before they go off to... wherever... Okay, some words might get edited out at breakfast, but the sum will be positive. Funny thing is, I'm not impatient, or annoyed, or any of the thousand things I used to feel when a short gets longer and longer and uglier and uglier. Huh. :ohno:

zoupskim and Stormburn like this.