Lines that get you.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Wreybies, Nov 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SayWhatNow?

SayWhatNow? New Member

"The tractor crashed into whatever was there-the Dome-and kept running, passnger still in it. Because nothing, you know, runs like a Deere."
    Stephen King-Under The Dome​

"Jem teased. 'Ain't you scared of haints?"
    We laughed. Haints, incantations, hot steams, secret signs, had vanished with our years as mist with sunrise. 'What was that old thing?' Jem said. 'Angel bright, life in death, get off the road, don't suck my breath.'
    'Quit!'
    Harper Lee-To Kill A Mockingbird​

That last line just summarizes the whole book in three paragraphs.

2. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Thank god for Postmodernism.

The city was hers, as, made up and sleeked so with the customary words and images (cosmopolitan, culture, cable cars) it had not been before.
    The Crying of Lot 49 – Thomas Pynchon

We learn nothing from the stereotypes around us, not even that we're all the same.
    Don Delillo - Americana.

3. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

That had quite the effect on me as well. Our English teacher spent a whole class period (45 minutes) analyzing the ending and that sentence especially. That was in 8th grade about a year ago and I still remember it. I love that book.

Definitely! I am immersing myself in Shakespeare at the moment, and it is beautiful beyond belief. :)

4. LadyLazarus

LadyLazarus New Member

"You had blood on your face, and I had blood in my eyes but I swear that I could tell by your expression that the pain down in your soul was the same as the one down in mine" - The Origin of Love - Hedwig and the Angry Inch.

5. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

"The greatest love story ever told.......is your own." From the "Letters to Juliet" movie trailer. It just grabbed hold of me and didn't let go. I SO want to go see that movie!!! :D

6. Agreen

Agreen Faceless Man Contributor

"Hello, Dexter Morgan"- Arthur Mitchell from this week's Dexter. Out of context, meaningless. Within the scene, the highlight of what's been one of my favourite seasons of television.

7. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

"Life is an occasion. Rise to it." From the end of Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium.

8. Ashleigh

Ashleigh Contributor Contributor

In the comfort of my stubborn little mind.
    DON'T SAY ANOTHER WOOORRRDD!!!

I recently got into Dexter and I just finished season 2. I absolutely love it (although Season 2 was off in bits I feel....I absolutely hated Lyla and I thought it wasn't in Dexter's nature to cheat on Rita so heartlessly, or in hers to take him back so fast!) but Season 3 isn't out on DVD in the U.K yet, so I don't want it spoiled :D

9. Agreen

It's actually from Season 4, the finale over here is this weekend, I can't wait :D

I loved Season 2, but the parts with Lyla were pretty bad- it didn't make sense for Dexter's character.

10. Kas

Kas New Member

Exactly. This season is by far my favourite. Season 3 was somewhat weak, too, IMO, but they really picked it up. Right now, it's the only show worth following. I can't wait for the finale, but also don't want it to be over.:(

11. yellowm&M

yellowm&M Contributor Contributor

Me too!! me too!! I really want to see that!

12. x_raichelle_x

x_raichelle_x New Member

One that always make me cry - actually sob - is in the film version of 'A Little Princess'. It's a beautiful book, but the bit where Sara was left in the attic & was told her dad had been killed, & she keeps saying 'Papa' always gets me. Which is silly really coz the film was intended for 9 year olds lol.
    One which I can really relate to at the moment is in 'The Break Up' with Vince Vaughn & Jennifer Aniston, where she says 'I want you to want to do the washing up' & he says 'Who wants to washing up?!'. I can just understand that moment :) lol.
    Another which which always makes me cry is the song from P.S I Love You - Celia Ahern. It's called I'll love you 'til the end and it actually makes me weep. I get all teary-eyed just thinking about the book, which I think is sadder than the film.
    Well I better go wipe my eyes before my mascara runs, but I'm sure I'll think of some more :)
    xxx

13. Agreen

I know :( At least 24 is starting up soon, and while it's nowhere near as good I like to think it's the funniest comedy on tv.

14. Rosetta Stoned

Rosetta Stoned New Member

From the Lion King.

"That's not my father. That's just my reflection."
    "No... look harder. You see? He lives in you."

And from Nirgendwo in Afrika, German film set during WWII. A conversation between a native Kenyan and a German refugee.

"You are not a British Bwana, right?"
    "No, I didn't come here to become rich in this country. I came here because I was driven out of my country."
    "Which is your country?"
    "Germany -- it's far away. It is at war."

There is a pause. Then the Kenyan says:

"Somebody steals your ox, it will be killed, cooked and eaten. You will forget it soon.
    But if somebody steals your land, it will always be there. You can visit it again. It will always be there. You can't forget that."

15. soujiroseta

soujiroseta Contributor Contributor

I recently rewatched the star wars movies and I have one from episode 3 revenge of the sith.

Padme: There's still good in him.

That line got me...

16. Delphinus

Delphinus New Member

"There is always a chance for the coward to give up cowardice, and the hero to cease being heroic." - Jean-Paul Sartre, Existentialism is a Humanism.

"What I don't understand is you, God." - Serial Experiments Lain, shortly before the main character kills 'God'.

17. Ashleigh

Ashleigh Contributor Contributor

In the comfort of my stubborn little mind.
    Gaaah! When will they bring it out on DVD in the UK?! I've missed the TV showing and I don't wanna catch it halfway through.

The ending of season 2 was totally anti-climactic. I loved season one's ending, it was absolutely perfect.

A few pictures already spoiled some very important events in season 3 for me though, haha. I just need to get a hold if it!

I loved parts of season 2, but hated Lyla. I know we're supposed to, but honestly, the actress was awful and it was a complete deviation from Dexter's character.

I still forgive him though :eek:

18. Jaybrownuk

Jaybrownuk New Member

Scan Her again! from I Am Legend. The way Will Smith shouts that line to the solider at the checkpoint to scan his wife for the virus again after the first scan proved positive just makes me tingle everytime i hear it

19. Peerie Pict

Peerie Pict Contributor Contributor

For me, one of the best lines from the movies is from As Good As It Gets when Melvin Udall (Jack Nicholson) says to Carol (Helen Hunt):

Melvin: "I've got a really great compliment for you, and it's true."
    Carol: "I'm so afraid you're about to say something awful."
    (Udall then starts a long spiel about his shrink trying to get him to take pills to control his OCD and how much he really hates pills. Then after he saw Carol once and he started taking the pills.)
    Carol: I don't quite get how that's a compliment for me.
    Melvin "You make me want to be a better man."
    Carol: "Thats maybe the best compliment of my life."

It helps that Nicholson is incredibly charismatic but the moment always makes me tear up!

On a more serious note, I think one of the best statements on social/racial isolation and alienation was from Ralph Ellison's novel, Invisible Man, which I have just finished reading:

"I am an Invisible Man. No, not a spook like those who haunted Edgar Allen Poe; not am I one of your Hollywood-movie ectoplasms. I am a man of substance, of flesh and bone, fiber and liquids-and I might even be said to possess a mind. I am invisible, understand, simply because people refuse to see me. Like the bodiless heads you see in circus sideshows, it is as though I have been surrounded by mirrors of hard, distoring glass. When they approach me they see only my surroundings, themselves, or figments of their imagination-indeed, everything and anything except me."

20. CharlieVer

CharlieVer Contributor Contributor

I kind of like Ebenezer Scrooges statement, "There's more of gravy than of grave about you!" but the line from A Christmas Carol that really gets me is Tiny Tim's line, "God bless us all--Everyone!"

21. Kairahu Nazara

Kairahu Nazara New Member

'Who the hell do you think I am?'-Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann(anime)
    That line is pure win. It was GAR!!!

22. marina

marina Contributor Contributor

This is from a terrific YA book called Candy by Kevin Brooks:

[​IMG]

23. Rosetta Stoned

Rosetta Stoned New Member

kamina is such a bamf.

don't believe in yourself!
    believe in me who believes in you!

24. yellowm&M

yellowm&M Contributor Contributor

I've always loved the line from Harry Potter,

Harry "Just one more question, is this real or has it all been happening in my head?"
    Dumbledore "Of course it is happening in your head, but why on earth should that mean it's not real?"

I just love that line.

Another one is from the book Cybele's Secret

"I knew I was dreaming, and at the same time I knew it was real, like all the maifestations of the Other Kingdom. They existed on a different plane from our everyday world of trading and farming, of marriage and children, of struggle and achievement. But they were always with us, guiding us along, helping us to be brave and good and wise."

and

"His arms folded around me like a barrier against all the ills of the world; his cheek was wet against mine. I was crying too, crying and laughing and wondering how it was possible to have such tumultuous, thrilling sensations coursing through me and at the same time feel utterly safe."

And finally from the 2nd Season Finale of Chuck

"Guys...I know kung-fu." (absolutely hilarious in context :D)

25. Cosmos

Cosmos New Member

"Criminals thrive under the induglence of society's understanding." - Raz Al Ghul (spelling?), Batman Begins

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.