Tags:
  1. ManyQuestions

ManyQuestions New Member

Linked Anthology Idea Marketable

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by ManyQuestions, Jan 26, 2019.

My book idea is an Fantasy linked anthology where the world is post apocalyptic and each short story set in this world follows a different characters daily life adventures in this world. The characters are linked in one way or another and each story is taking place simultaneously. So my question is, Is my idea marketable? If not, do you have any tips to make it more marketable?

Manuforti likes this.
  2. EBohio

EBohio Banned

Yeah, it's already been done though, it's called "The Martian Chronicles" by Ray Bradbury.

3. Alan Aspie

Alan Aspie Banned Contributor

Every idea is marketable if it is well done.

StaggeringBlow likes this.
  4. Manuforti

Manuforti Active Member

This. Also...
    Just because someone used a plot device in sci fi decades ago doesn't mean it can't be used again does it?
    I think you will find Chaucer was first past that post. Hmmm smiley face.

Alan Aspie likes this.
  5. EBohio

EBohio Banned

Of course it can, almost everything is rehashed, it's you putting a different twist on it that will get a publisher's/reader's attention. :)

StaggeringBlow and Manuforti like this.
  6. Manuforti

Manuforti Active Member

Have you got anything to post?

An excerpt maybe. I seem to be trapped on these forums and not sure how far back I want to read. Also I came here for advice on self publishing a kids book for my son, stayed for short sci fi, now I think I have an anxiety disorder about my alerts, so all sci fi is welcome to me.

7. EBohio

EBohio Banned

Hey, I have been trying to write a kid's book with my 10yr old since August. I thought I could use him for a muse. I am definitely more into than him but I don't want to take over completely (yet).

8. halisme

halisme Contributor Contributor

A plot device is very different than a series structure. Plot devices tend to survive much, much longer than series structures. A monster attacking people has been popular since Beowulf. Oral poetry however has not lasted so well.

But to go for a more modern example, Discworld does the same. It is however a fantasy/comedy series.

9. X Equestris

X Equestris Contributor Contributor

Short story collections tend to be hard sells with traditional publishers. They don't usually earn much even when the author is otherwise successful.

Since the characters are linked and their stories take place simultaneously, you might be able to convert it into a novel where these short stories are woven together. Make the protagonists of those stories POV characters and rotate through them. That would be easier to market.

Alternatively, if you favor the collection format, you could try making a bit of a name for yourself as a writer (perhaps with a novel set in this created world), and then try to publish the collection.

BayView likes this.
  10. Alan Aspie

Alan Aspie Banned Contributor

Oral poetry is mainly in the form of singing+music and also rap.

I think both are quite large markets.

Manuforti likes this.