1. Arcand

Arcand New Member

multipule plots

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Arcand, Aug 3, 2010.

I was wondering if I could get some tips and tricks on writing a novel with multipule plot lines that eventually intersect with one another? general question, im hoping to get some answers pertaining to how smooth the writing blends together and ease of comprehension while reading.

2. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

You mean like tie together subplots?

Don't lump them in all at once -- I'd say switch between subplots with maybe one break per chapter, but it really depends on the type and purpose of the subplot.

3. Arcand

Arcand New Member

I mean main plots... I have a senator in one and a ship captain + XO in another

what do you mean by this?

4. Mallory

In my novel, I"m writing it in 3rd person but it changes focus/gears from character to character. I switch POV at a rate of about one change per chapter.

Sorry, I was on a different track than you were. Do your main plots switch characters/POVs? I guess doing Character A for chapter 1 and Character 2 for Chapter 2 would work, but don't feel like you have to be regulated to that.

Sorry I'm not being very helpful, but it depends on your story. Just make sure that the readers can keep up with both plots and you're fine, I think, as long as the way you alternate between plots is the way that best accelerates your overall story.

5. Arcand

Arcand New Member

:) Thanks

6. Mallory

If this helps --

Sometimes I'll add a new scene or plot development, and I"ll have to re-order scenes. I give each scene a number or letter or keyword/phrase, then get out a piece of paper and pen and draw a "plot diagram" where I map out which scene leads to what. This way you can draw arrows from one scene to another, change the order more easily, write down notes etc.

7. TobiasJames

TobiasJames New Member

I tend to make use of multiple subplots in my stories. :) I call it "the maypole" lol, because if you imagine each coloured streamer as a sub-plot, the more you wind around the maypole (the more you write), the closer together they get until eventually, they are all twisted together in a single strand.

Essentials for the maypole approach:-
    - A point-of-view character for each sub-plot, so that you can chart each of the events separately through their eyes;
    - A unifying purpose, e.g. WHY are we hearing about these different facets of the story? No red herrings, please; every sub-plot must contribute to the overall plot;
    - A "confluence point", a point at which the sub-plots overlap and become fused. This tends to be towards the end of the story, but is not always right at the very end.

Once you have planned for these three things, you'll find multiple sub-plots much easier to plan. :)

8. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

Mine is young adult/junior fantasy fiction, so I have lots of ways. My first two books are being told first person present tense. My first one I was able to use dreams and conversations, for one big scene he changed into a bird and observed it. One scene a stone that had been present at the creation of mankind, was able to transmit the scene to him.

My second one has more magic, so ability to observe using other animals, or to look into stones and see other places. I always find asking myself how do I get all the characters I need into the place I need, then how do i get to see it happen, helps me organise how to approach it.