'Literary' fiction or 'Commercial' fiction...

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by Tesoro, Mar 30, 2011.

1. popsicledeath

popsicledeath Banned

Not exactly following. I especially don't buy the last sentence. It's not about being a writer, at that point, but being published. And yes, I know it surprises people, but many writers are too busy honing their skills and simply enjoying the process of crafting fiction and aren't yet worrying about sales. It's not really fair to say if one wants to be a writer, then they have a better chance by writing genre fiction, as all markets are highly competitive these days, and people write for all sorts of different reasons and motivations.

The real reason forums tend to lean toward commercial fiction (which isn't really an accurate term, as commercial fiction is a matter of what sells, and plenty of literary fiction sells really well, so 'genre' fiction seems to be the more frequent designation)... err, digression, but the real reason is just that they're different crowds. And there are sites that lean heavily toward literary fiction, it's just the people that don't fit into those sites are obviously not on them, and on the genre fiction sites instead. (Zoetropes online workshop and forums for instance are very literary-based, and it's obnoxious and often offensive the way people bash genre writing, especially when they then attempt to excuse it as if it's okay just because genre writing based sites are bashing them).

This is why it's useless to even make this the center of the discussion. As I've said, there are pretentious snobs on both sides of everything that has sides, and what's the point of discussion the snobs or their positions when there's an actual topic somewhere in the middle that's valuable to discuss.

How do isolated, extreme examples of these people help inform a discussion on literary and genre fiction, if not to perpetuate stereotypes or grind an axe? And I'd have similar offense if a topic of discussion was about genre fiction, and all someone had to add was that Stephanie Meyer sucks and chose to call her names.

Agree. Though there are accepted designations, it's remarkable how even agents or literary writers can't completely agree on what the term means.

And the truth is, there has always been a wide range of books being written and read. We just don't remember the page-turner entertainment sort of books from history, as they're usually not very lasting and end up forgotten (and basically re-written every decade anyhow lol).

And interesting exercise is looking at best seller lists from the early 20th century. Most on the list aren't things you've ever heard of, and in many cases for good reason, as what appeals to audiences in a time is usually very specific and not exactly timeless, in many cases.

Totally. I took an Early American Lit class from an awesome professor who dug up some pretty obscure titles, and it was awesome to see the scandalous, page-turning Melrose-place level tawdry entertainment people were reading in age we only think of for their classics. And the truth is, those kinds of books are STILL entertaining and fun to read. Charlotte Temples is a favorite of mine, so much drama (and melodrama), and is still well-known enough to be accessible. It's not great literature, but it's still great.

Good discussion.

2. popsicledeath

popsicledeath Banned

Okay, so we can say anything we want know, disparaging any group of people or writers in any fashion we choose, as it's the people's fault who CHOOSE to be offended.

Well, in that case, things are going to get pretty interesting, as I'm pretty sure that is actually explicitly against several of the forum rules.

And let me guess, Forkfoot entertains you personally, so it's completely acceptable for him to post "what a dumb thing to say" to anyone he wants.

The fact this is getting so blatantly personal and an obvious popularity contest that people seem to think dictates the rules, then I'm sorry I've spent my time trying to help other writers and enter into constructive discussions, when I should have been entertaining people so I can then tell others the things they post are dumb and toss around insults at will.

3. Forkfoot

Forkfoot Caitlin's ex is a lying, abusive rapist. Contributor

I shouldn't have said "What a dumb thing to say." It was rude and uncalled for. Don't say "What a dumb thing to say," kids.

1 person likes this.