Tags:
  1. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

Using nicknames

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by J.T. Woody, Mar 11, 2020.

My MC calls a major side character by his nickname (a shortened version of his name), but when she is serious, she uses his whole name.

But I've found myself using both the nickname and the full name when I write about him in other scenes. Similarly, my MC's father is another major character. When I write scenes with him and my MC, I alternate between his name and "her father".

Is it too confusing to go back and forth between names like this?

TheWriterValiant likes this.
  2. Lili.A.Pemberton

Lili.A.Pemberton Active Member

Not at all. If you establish it's a nickname and establishes who calls him by that nickname then you're good. Similarly, if you establish the father's name is so and so and then switch between his name and 'her father' then I don't really see the problem.

J.T. Woody likes this.
  3. Dorafjol

Dorafjol Member

It's a question of POV. If your MC is the POV character in scenes with his father, it would be jarring to use the father's name in the descriptions. You typically don't refer to your parents by their name. But say that the MC's mom enters the scene, she'd naturally call him by his name. Who she is referring should become clear in context.

{
    Dad was going off about these 'darned immigrants' again, as usual. These tangents didn't get so bad, as long as you stopped them early. Usually I'd try to distract him with some anecdote or fun fact that I had heard, but nothing came to mind. Ugh. I really don't want to listen to this for the rest of dinner. Come on, brain. Don't be like this. Her frustration must've been visible, because Mom made a rare attempt to cut his rant short.
    "Yeah, Ryan, but did you hear about the fucking dinosaurs tearing our city apart?" She gave me a stealthy thumbs up, content with her distraction.
    What?
    I looked out the window, and sure enough; dinosaurs everywhere. The familiar suburb a flaming hellscape.
    }

It's evident who Ryan is here, because it's already clear who mom is talking to. If it isn't, that's because you might think Ryan is the MC, but at this point in a story you should probably know the MC's name already.

Nicknames are easier. As long as you bring it up in a situation where it's clear. A scene with just two people is the easiest, but anything goes. Being clear about who's talkning is key, I think.

J.T. Woody likes this.
  4. TheWriterValiant

TheWriterValiant Banned

I am perhaps not the best person for this as my characters names, well not always short, often don't have good shortened versions. This is my own fault, as I make up a good many of my characters names.

However, I think what will matter most to you is POV. If say, the parents of the MC's friend are talking, they are far more likely to call their son by his full name, when the character introduces themselves they are likely to do so using their full name. Nicknames tend to be personal things, for family or close friends only.

Just my thoughts.

J.T. Woody likes this.