1. Xboxlover

Xboxlover Senior Member

Local Library Dilemma

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Xboxlover, Aug 30, 2017.

So I went to the library and just got back a few minutes ago.
    I couldn't find anything on any of the subjects I was looking for. It seems my library caters more to entertainment reads and comics... I am beside myself. This is the third time I've gone and have not found anything I've needed. I tried looking for individual books themselves and even looking for a specific subject. I've asked, looked around and studied shelves. I tried something today as an experiment that was separate from what I was looking for. I started typing in certain subjects like technical writing, smithing, and history on certain places, mythology as well. Nothing only kids books or entertainment nothing remotely in the non-fiction genre. Here's something that makes me laugh when searching about writing, in general, I got fiction books on stories about writers "characters that write in the story." I'm discouraged, I would just buy what I'm looking for but if I had money the first thing I'd replace is my computer before buying a book.
    What are some idea's that you guys have? When did society become more about entertainment and less about education? That or at least seems to...
    Here is another kicker for you. A mom yelled at her kid because he wanted to read outside his third-grade level. No, you can't your not a fifth grader...
    Wow... Just wow...

2. Aardvark

Aardvark Member

Have you tried Google Scholar? https://scholar.google.com/

Also, Project Gutenberg for fiction: https://www.gutenberg.org/

Is there a community college nearby? They usually have excellent selections and you don't have to be a student to just go into the library. If you find something captivating, you can even take a picture of the page.

3. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I'd suggest asking about interlibrary loan. I don't know if you're in the US, but if you're not, other countries may have something similar.

If there are any universities near you, you could also ask whether non-students can get library privileges for a fee.

Fiender_ likes this.
  4. Xboxlover

Xboxlover Senior Member

I wish there was the one I was going to you have to be a student to use the library. Where are you from that they allow that?
    They do them but I have not money. I guess it costs shipping, to do it. I wish there were more schools near by the closest one is an hour away and my car won't make the drive its a lemon :( Sadface.

Do I have to pay for a subscription to use the two sites above? Let me rephrase that lol do I need to in order to use higher functions or anything?

5. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

That's annoying. My local library doesn't charge at all. (Edited to add: Unless the lending library charges more than $10; less than $10, my local library will pay.) Yours did definitely say that they will charge?

6. Aardvark

Aardvark Member

Santa Barbara City College (Santa Barbara, CA) and University of California, Davis (Davis, CA). I went to both of those schools but you can also just go on campus and enter the library. I went to the UCD library after I graduated because I wanted a quiet place to read and write, and they don't check for a student ID or anything to just go in.

Some used book stores also will buy your books if you have some lying around. You can use that money to buy the new ones you need. I survived in college by buying and selling books on Amazon.

7. Xboxlover

Xboxlover Senior Member

Yeah per book $3.00 and the loan is shorter than the normal 3 weeks. 2 week loan. I live in the butt f of nowhere.... XD

I wonder if it's the difference between a big city and a small town. Our town is bankrupt and it falling apart at the seams, business are leaving, Walmarts failing out here, and if you're stuck here you do the best you do. I really sucks, job security sucks out here as well. I wonder if this is also a reflection of what's going on out here? (The library I mean.) All we have out here is gas stations and fast food and grocery stores. Everything is like an hour or more a way.

8. Xboxlover

Xboxlover Senior Member

I'll try those websites, I wish I could take your advice on the selling books for books but the closest thing to that out here is in another county.

9. Aardvark

Aardvark Member

Yes! Probably, I know that some towns are shutting down libraries or crippling them by killing their budgets. That is extremely frustrating. I feel horrible that people don't have proper access to libraries.

Google Scholar and Google Books are no joke. I've done plenty of research through the excerpts provided on these services. https://books.google.com/

10. Xboxlover

Xboxlover Senior Member

That's whats probably happening out here. The lady said they finally got funding after 4 years and that my request a book would likely have success. (That sounds bad) Maybe this is a direct result of things that are going on here. Housing authority out here has been out of funds for the last 5 years. We needed that. The building doesn't even open anymore.

11. Xboxlover

Xboxlover Senior Member

Too bad I don't have access to better tech, a Kindle would probably help. Do they do loan reads?

12. TheNineMagi

TheNineMagi take a moment to vote

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/
    http://ase.tufts.edu/classics/researchguide/index_files/Page768.htm
    http://ase.tufts.edu/classics/researchguide/index_files/Page1351.htm
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.craftsmanspace.com/free-books/blacksmithing-books.html

Tony Swatton's video series... I have a few of his swords -- he makes them for various Hollywood movies and TV Series

Xboxlover likes this.
  13. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

I'm spoiled. Our library includes the rest of the county libraries. I can search the catalogue and request a book from any of the library branches and they'll notify me when it arrives.

Xboxlover likes this.
  14. Xboxlover

Xboxlover Senior Member

I didn't realize you posted in here as well till now. Thanks for more help!

15. Sclavus

Sclavus Active Member

My grandmother lived in a small town in Florida. There was a library right across the street, but it was a lot like what you describe your library as. In that case, the others here have covered a lot of what I'd suggest, but the Internet really is your best friend in that situation, until you can move or petition for a larger, better library.

Xboxlover likes this.
  16. Xboxlover

Xboxlover Senior Member

One of these days I would LOVE to move out of this town. I don't mind small towns, but I do mind small towns with nothing to offer. My town has literally become prego teen central, drugs, and abuse run rampant. On Sundays there are only 2 cops that patrol the city and respond. It takes an average of 4 hours if you're lucky to 24 hours to get back to you on a call. Road emergencies are more important, which is a good thing to some degree. I want out of here when I can. So yeah I agree. This place is turning sour. When a Walmart is failing especially that says a lot. XD LMAO

I'll try for now what I have at hand. I was looking for a couple of books specifically these:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/0192142313/?tag=writingfor07a-20
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/0898797071/?tag=writingfor07a-20
    On top of a few people suggested on here.
    I need to make sure my planet's for my portal fantasy line up right. I found the second one today online and was like holy F YEAH! You know that moment when you get all like - that, that right there, that's IT!

All of my research I've been doing is mostly to pull things together better, make more consistency, and accuracy for belief purposes. I have a complex series I'm working on and my husband has offered to help. He was looking at it and says it could potentially be upwards of 15 or more books. :D I was like I know that's where I was going with it! NAiled it. But you can see why I need that consistency as well.