Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

New writing workshop requirements

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Daniel, Mar 14, 2011.

Since this has been coming up a few times in threads and PMs, I'd like to clarify. We have added new requirements to posting writing in The Writing Workshop.

In order to post a new thread in the Writing Workshop, you must:

• Post at least two constructive critiques of another members writing
    • Have been registered for 14 days
    • Make at least 20 posts (excluding the "word games" forum)
    The registration and post requirements are new. We've also updated this requirement in the more detailed explanation of How to Use the Writing Workshop. This change is to discourage new members who register just to post their writing, avoid posting constructive reviews, and then leave. Hopefully, these extended requirements will also help increase the quality of critiques posted and allow time for new members to better familiarize themselves with the site, rules, and review requirements.

Additionally, The Review Room has been renamed to The Writing Workshop.

2. Reggie

Reggie I Like 'Em hot "N Spicy Contributor

I have a question. Are the 20 total posts/replies included with the posts in the Word Games Section, or do we have to post 20 total, and then 20 more in the Game Section?

3. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

20 posts in any forum except the word games section.

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Word Games posts are not counted at all.

5. butterbescotch

butterbescotch New Member

I think the 14 days prohibition is a bit too long.
    Is there any way to reduce it to atleast a week?

6. LordKyleOfEarth

LordKyleOfEarth Contributor Contributor

Two weeks gives a good amount of time for users to acclimate to the forum. There is a great deal of information here and not everyone will like the vibe that we have. Two weeks makes sure you get a chance to read the rules and expectations, see how existing members implement them, and ensures that this is a place you want to call home.

7. Reggie

It also minimazes the unreviewd writing, and it doesn't have to fill up the "Unreviewd Box." It It also keeps users from having less quality on their reviews.

8. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

I think 14 days is a good length. To start with I was concerned it was a bit long, but it gives people the opportunity to immerse themselves in the site, and get more practice at reviewing and various aspects of writing. It's all about making the Writing Workshop a more inclusive, wholesale experience, and enriching the site as a result.

9. butterbescotch

butterbescotch New Member

Well, they can have the same experience in as short as 7 days.

10. evelon

evelon Active Member

14 days sounds right to me. It depends on how much time you have to browse the site.

11. Arathald

Arathald New Member

And some people might be ready to drive at the age of 12, but that doesn't mean that the legal age to drive should be changed.

12. Frostcat

Frostcat New Member

As a new member, I'm not sure if I should post here, since my opinion may not be valid.

However, while my initial reaction is "Oh no I have to wait 14 days to get help on my OWN works?" I see the inherent wisdom in this. While I could spend a few hours just reading all the rules, there's no way you could force me to do so.

Granting me (or forcing me to wait) 14 days to explore the site allows me to experience the rules in action. I get a sense of how others talk, and what clearly isn't allowed, and what is allowed but frowned upon, etc.

While it would be nice to post my story now, and be able to get instant reviews and critiques, so that I could further my writing. Instant gratification rarely breeds patience and quality. :)

1 person likes this.
  13. SeverinR

SeverinR New Member

I think 2 weeks is not to long.

It lets the person get to know the people before they lay their work before the hatchet of critique. So that someone just doesn't show up drop a story on the block and never return after the severe(but fair) critiques destroy their work. (or worse destroys the persons desire to write.)

I think requiring the person to critique others severely, shows the person what to look for in their work. Requires them to realize what they will face when they submit.

20 posts isn't that many. It encourages people to talk with others, share ideas, become part of the forum before put before the firing squad.

All this said, the critique will hopefully help to prevent rejection letters for easily fixed items, if you submit.
    The board waits inpatiently for you to entertain them, much the same as your readers will. But readers will just not buy your book and you won't know why.

14. Reggie

I have noticed on some forum websites, those members cannot get into the review room without a password. In order for us to get the password in the forum, we had to ask the owner for it or be known on the site. Some of them required us to be on the forums for a while (just like this one, 14 days).

I think it might work here, but I'm not sure if this is really necessary, and I'm not even sure if you can receive an automated password rather than the owner having to do it manually. But then again, I think that worked in the other forums from keeping spammers and new members from posting.

It might not be good for this site because members may want to read what is being reviewed instead of posting one of their own works.

15. Cogito

No, we're not going to do that. We expect that in two weeks, nearly all new members should find time to get around to reading the rules and other Important Links, even if it is out of boredome as they wait to be able to post. ;)

There will, of course be those who won't read what they need to know, even if they were to have to wait a year. We are not about to design the site around them!

16. rbg518

rbg518 New Member

Quick Question:

I remember reading an old rule saying that you need two critiques for every piece of your own that you post. Does that still apply (as in 20 posts/2 critiques per new thread) or is 20 posts/2 critiques just a general threshold now?

17. Cogito

The old requirements are still in effect. The new requirements supplement them to solve problems the original requirements were inadequate to prevent.

18. aimi_aiko

aimi_aiko New Member

Agreed.

Some newbies here will dislike something about the site and become non-active, if it was changed to a week and they weren't used to how everything works. 14 days is a perfect length of time to get used to the forum. The creator and mods know what they are talking about, besides, it is their forum.

19. DeNile

DeNile New Member

I myself think the requirements in terms of time registered is nothing. Two weeks? 14 days? That's cake. The constructive criticism is where I'm having trouble, but I'm in no hurry to post, I'd like to review my work before I post it, so the Critiques are a nice way to see what everyone else is doing. Beyond that, I know if I didn't have to make them good I'd never write anything more than 'good job'. Having to post two constructive ones really makes me think like a reader and an author at the same time. It's a great way to grow and become more confident in your reviewing abilities. I remember being terrified I was going to offend someone!

Plus helping other's is a great thing. So two weeks is nothing, it takes that long to get a good feel for critiquing!

(on a side note, one more to go!)

20. clockwise

clockwise New Member

Wait, it's 20 posts/2 critiques every time you want to post a new thread? I thought it was just have at least 20 posts the first time, and 2 critiques every other time. I can understand the 2 critiques, but 20 posts each time is a lot...

21. Islander

Islander Contributor Contributor

Nah, they can't mean that, can they?

Anyway... letting people wait two weeks before they can post in the review room makes it more likely they're serious and willing to lay down the work. As long as it doesn't scare away new users, I think it's great.

1 person likes this.
  22. Banzai

The 20 post requirement is a one off. But you must make two constructive critiques for each piece of your own work you post.

23. clockwise

clockwise New Member

Thanks for clearing that up, I was pretty worried for a moment, there xD.

24. Pea

Pea super pea!

When you make critiques, how in-depth do they need to be? I'm not a very good reviewer though I try, if my reviews aren't up to scratch can I still post something for reviewal?

25. Banzai

A good rule of thumb for reviews is this three-step approach:

1. Identify problems
    2. Give specific examples
    3. Give suggestions as to how those problems can be solved

That's not the only way to do a constructive review, but I think it's by far the easiest. And having looked at your reviews, I think you're on the right lines.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.